HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    besides your online website, are does ems or REI have these rings? would home depot have them?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    besides your online website, are does ems or REI have these rings? would home depot have them?
    REI sells them. I've found them periodically in the brick-and-mortar store here in town, and they're on their website all the time.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i really like the ring buckles for the hammock supports.
    there seems to be several variations w/ webbing, etc that can allow some slipping for some, but if you put a half hitch slip knot in the webbing next to the rings, it's safe & secure.
    un-tying is as simple as a tug on the webbing. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    great help guys.

As far as the ring combo, do they really secure the webbing that well? I look at the pictures posted and imagine some webbing "roll" in there. Dunno, haven't tried, but I will be looking for them at REI next time I go.
    Also, when securing a biner to the webbing loop (boxstitch) does it exert disproportional pull on the sides of the webbing (unlike a d ring where the biner lays flat?)
    questions to consider since a d ring could easily be substituted for the biners. it would make set up/take down 1.5 seconds longer.

i really like your ideas JJ (rings). I read the posted when you started the thread and considered it, but had just made some extended tree huggers and thought my life was complete... yeah right!!!

cheers all
    I cannot speak for the diagonal forces, but I think everything would be fine. You could sew a ring into the loop, but I think you lose some options. A ring like that only has one use, where as a biner can be removed and used for other things.

Oh and on a side note, I don't ever think I will be done tweaking things. I think I will find something to keep tweaking.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I asked at Great Outdoor Provision Company in Winston-Salem, NC. The guy showed me some fairly small rings that were really thick. Said that they were "standard" size. Practically rolled his eyes at me. I'm getting less and less enamored of that place, to be honest. They need to nix the attitude.

I didn't buy them, but I did let the guy know that REI had some thinner, lighter descending rings for less.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    REI here i come!
    so far i have been really impressed with everyone working there - i have been going to the new one in cranston ri.
    i was lucky enough to be able to speak with a couple of people who really surprised me with their attitude. Ems has long been the only outfitter/outdoor store in this area (besides dicks) and I expected some smirks when i asked whether or not they were planning on closing down the ems next door. the general attitude was that both stores needed to help stimulate more outdoor activities in people, and if one store does better financially than the other, so be it, as long as people are getting out there and doing stuff.
    it was probably corporate mumbo jumbo forced down their throats but hey - all the sales reps were great and i had a great 2 hours getting to know the company a bit better.
    i still like the smell of the ems store better though, kinda like old leather and that new nylon smell....

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I asked at Great Outdoor Provision Company in Winston-Salem, NC. The guy showed me some fairly small rings that were really thick. Said that they were "standard" size. Practically rolled his eyes at me. I'm getting less and less enamored of that place, to be honest. They need to nix the attitude.

I didn't buy them, but I did let the guy know that REI had some thinner, lighter descending rings for less.
    yeah, i got a set (two) of the rings they had at great outdoor. they are way overkill.
    you could hang a truck from those rings<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post

I've had that problem many times with both Great Outdoors and Blue Ridge. The guys at Great Outdoors finally gave up being jerks (I think) after I got irritated with them a few times. Apparently they thought I was some sort of vagrant for coming in to buy materials, not finished products. I kind of hate to admit it, but the staff at REI has been much nicer to work with overall. More generally knowledgeable and much more accommodating.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    And you get dividends at the end of the year if you are a member!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    hey teedee,

i received the webbing yesterday and have been tinkering with it quite a bit. it is stiffer than the nylon webbing i had previously and similar in weight, i have not weighed it using a dig scale but it comes to approx 0.35 oz a foot. 50 ft weighed roughly 18 oz on my cheapo food scale. heavy duty in feel; rated at 3500 lbs, this stuff has absolutely no give. i hung about 150 lbs of dead weight over a 7 foot length and the measurements were exactly as prior. ( not that 150lbs is a lot, just all i had available in free weights.)
    i hung my HH with the ring set up previously mentioned and it worked well. i do tie the slip bight that i believe slowhike suggested just because it is new and my basement floor is concrete. yeow!
    i did notice that there was some slipping if the exertion was minimal or if the loose end of the strap was not directly centered over the working end. more than about 25% off and it started slipping. i am a bit concerned about wind sway, but as mentioned, the slip knot with bight removes all chances.
    i have not tested it wet and have not actually cut my spectra cords yet. i am still wondering if they could have a purpose if left attached (with a loop tied in them for the rings). i am learning that as soon as you cut/remove/alter something, someone else comes up for a great use for them!

ah the joys of diy.
    thanks everyone for the great tips and helpful comments. i will be sleeping in my HH tonight, wife willing, and will test the ring/webbing set up overnight. should be comfy!!

HAPPY EASTER!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123