Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by TDHanger View Post
    and a Mountain hardware synthetic 35 degree bag that I thing for me is really only good down to around 40 degrees.
    I had a similar MtnHardwear synthetic bag and one look at the loft told me it wouldn't keep me warm when the temps got anywhere 'cool', let alone freezing. I sold it to somebody looking for an 'indoor' sleeping bag.

I'd definitely look for a cheap (barrel) synthetic bag to use over the MtnHardwear bag. If you buy/make a compression sack you can get the volume down quite a bit.

Fleece doesn't compress much.
    Wearing your down jacket/down vest for sleeping will help, as will a really warm hat.

Using a vapor barrier system can make a huge difference in winter, but that's another topic. Probably the most 'bang for the buck'.....

IMO, if you are planning on winter camping, you should get a large pack so you can take plenty of insulation, extra food & fuel, etc. Things can get nasty in a hurry in winter.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Pads are bulky for sure, and some have condensation issues, but I have found them to be the best in the frigid cold. Agree with others to experiement and try different combinations in your backyard. I did this for a year using the weather forecast as a guide and then tracking the temps and what combinations seemed to work. Often it isn't the single items but the right combination. As I said at the beginning, ccf pads are bulky, but really really warm and not all that heavy.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    All good suggestions!
    I'll suggest adding a poncho liner on top either as a top quilt or overcover.
    Also, make sure you have plenty of fat in your dinner and/or late night snack.such as PB, Tuna, olive oil, snickers, cheese and the like. Tried and tested, easy trick to gain some comfort at lower temps.
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post

Using a vapor barrier system can make a huge difference in winter, but that's another topic. Probably the most 'bang for the buck'.....

Yep! I was wondering if any one would suggest this. But you will have to do some studying to make sure you well understand how they work so you don't do it wrong and get bad results. It's not for every one, but can have spectacular results for the weight and money. Especially on longer trips where there won't be much sunshine for drying out.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Sounds like I really need to up my savings and get a warmer top quilt. My bag has not much loft. I also like the idea of a hammock sock. What is a vapor barrier? Is that a sock?

Last night was not much of a test only went down to 40. Had to go in in the middle of the night because something kept screaming and kept waking me up. Maybe a coon.
    TDHanger

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by TDHanger View Post
    What is a vapor barrier?
    Time to try out that 'internet thang'....

This will get you started:
    http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier

There are VB bag liners but VB clothing is easier to manage and more flexible.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    IMO, if you are planning on winter camping, you should get a large pack so you can take plenty of insulation, extra food & fuel, etc. Things can get nasty in a hurry in winter.
    Good idea. I love my Osprey Atmos 65, but I'm planning on taking my big ol 80L Kelty in the winter to pack some extra insurance.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I know many on this forum do not like the military surplus bags etc . I share that contempt for the modern day MSS system with the exception of the light weight patrol bag which is quite roomy and is great for putting a mummy type bag into . These are very cheap at Armygear.net . App 16 or 18 bucks

Last night my grandson and I spent stuffing a down and feather mixture into an old M1949 sleeping bag . This is the Viet Nam era bag rated down to 14 degrees F .

It is stuffed with app 60/40 down and feathers . We were converting it into a monster underquilt but there is no reason you couldn't do the same for overquilt . 50 bucks from Armygeat.net .

Well I just bought an M1949 on Ebay for 25 plus shipping . 5 lb 10 oz . Going to cut off the zipper and stuff a couple pounds of down and feather mixture into it . Im thinking inside the patrol bag at least zero degrees with the big under quilt .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 11-03-2013 at 22:20.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    TD,
    You can add at least 10 to 15 degrees if you add an under quilt protector like one 2QZQ offers. $36 I believe or there abouts. Consider the breathable version, as condensation can foul your UQ in short order and things aren't as easy to dry in the piney woods when it's sob 32f, generally speaking.

The idea of the sock is also going to give you a great boost in temp rating. (Don't do both!). Pick which one you think will meet your needs best.

Plenty of DIY kits out there for both.

If all else fails, go to Rocky's Hardware and buy a couple of Contractor Trash Bags. They are huge. Carefully cut open the bottom so you have an opening on both ends. Then slide two of those suckers over your hammock, ridge line and all. You'll have a sock of sorts. Because the ends are open, you'll get some breathability and minimize condensation. You have a Superfly. Keep the doors closed.

Let us know whatever it is you end up doing.

All the best!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator
    When I first started I did not have a proper TQ But I used a surplus wool blanket and my sleeping bag and was amazed at the difference the wool blanket made. I was never able to make DIY or convert sleeping bags into an acceptable UQ so I said to heck with it and got a nice UQ and just continued to use my sleeping bag wool blanket combo for a year with no problems.

What ever you do though make sure you experiment in your backyard or in a place you can get to proper shelter in a quick. Last thing you want is to be caught in a situation where your setup does not preform and you really NEED it to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast