Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    I was holding the Figure 9 in my hands today, reading the load factor--150 lbs. So the hammock is suspended between two of them, and that means that it is 150 pounds per end, right? The thing is pretty durable, and the large size will easily and securely handle the suspension rope of my Hennessy. Seems pretty safe and very easy to me.

I currently use carabiners and climbing rings to suspend the hammock, but I am looking for the quickest and easiest hang without knots. Too lazy??

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    I was holding the Figure 9 in my hands today, reading the load factor--150 lbs. So the hammock is suspended between two of them, and that means that it is 150 pounds per end, right? The thing is pretty durable, and the large size will easily and securely handle the suspension rope of my Hennessy. Seems pretty safe and very easy to me.
    The Fig-9 will probably bend before it breaks anyway...

How much do you weigh? Remember, at 30 degree hang angle, each end is loaded with your weight i.e. 150# on each fig-9 if you weigh 150#.
    If your suspension lines were vertical, they would share your weight equally -- think the two ropes/chains for a kid's swing. Then, each suspension line would carry half your weight.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*

Kid's Swing

Great point, VictoriaGuy! I knew the physics was off. I weigh about 200#. I still think it would hold okay, but my current setup with carabiner and rappel rings works great, so I am not rushing to change it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The OP who started this thread claimed to have been using Figure 9s and paracord for years on his hammock suspension. Of course, when others (including me) highly questioned the safety of that, he took his toys and went home and has never been heard from since. Post #21 in this thread was Hamster's last post on this forum. I hope he's okay and didn't have an accident using paracord and Figure 9s as hammock suspension.

A while back people were discussing using 1.75 mm Zing-It or even lighter cord for hammock suspension. I haven't heard much about that lately either - hope they're okay!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Tarp lines and webbing wearing away at the bark of this tree. When it is dry out, there hasnt been as much damage in the past, but when it rains, the bark gets really torn up. This tree has been hung from at least 4 or 5 times recently so the damage is spread out alittle. But I will have to start rotating from tree to tree in the future.
    Attachment 52188
    I do not worry about surface scrub like in the picture nearly as much as cambium crushing that you cannot see under the bark. In effect that is cutting off the tree's circulation.

FWIW - amsteel is not pre stretched nylon it is a totally different material that does not stretch or compress much under load.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    TravelSafe Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    JW MoonShadow XL
    Insulation
    CDS pad
    Suspension
    tree straps
    IMHO Hamster is probably quite fine and will be in the future as long as he replaces the paracord in time. Nylon is notably susceptible to creep, right up to failure, irregardless of a safety factor of 1:3, 1:5 or 1:10.
    Polyester, Spectra & Dyneema (Amsteel Blue), cardboard, concrete and most metals all show creep too, it just takes places at a lot slower pace.
    (See Wikipedia for some background info)

As noted by others, the manufacturers of hoisting equipment like hooks state a (working) load limit, which does NOT equal breaking strength, but will yield the breaking strength when multiplied by a design factor. (called a safety factor by some) The load limit is exactly what it states, the load limit, not 5 or 10 times the actual load limit. If this limit is surpassed, the "hook" will not fail immediately. Hooks have to pass testing with a load at least double the load limit and may not show permanent deformation when subjected to the test load.

What I also noticed in Hamster's original message is that he runs the paracord from the figure 9, around the tree, back to the figure 9. And does not attach the cord to itself in a choker hitch setup like most hangers seem to be doing.
    While just that choker hitch setup kills both cordage and trees, as it increases the strain in the cordage around the tree (no difference between webbing and cord here) instead of practically cutting the load on cordage & tree in half like what happens in Hamster's setup.

Why does just about everyone on HF seems to be gung-ho about the "magical 30° hang angle", but at the same time seem to be ignoring the fact that the same principles of static mechanics are valid up-close to the tree?

If it is unclear to anyone what I am stating here, please refer to ASME B30.9 and ASME B30.10 and contemplate on them for just a minute.

But having said all of this, I am not seasoned hanger, just a mechanical engineer that has spent a part of his career designing ship and harbor cranes. So just take my opinion for what you think it's worth.

By the way, the design factor for off-shore cranes and hoisting equipment seem to be surpassed by the generally accepted (on HF at least) design factor for a camping hammock suspension. Why is that?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Jot,
    The ASME stuff is fascinating, but too technical for my mind at the moment. But I take it you believe that the suspension set up using Figure 9 hooks below would hold a 200 pounder just fine? Those thing are pretty tough. Plus, it is hanging, not trampolining!

I currently use carabiners and climbing rings to suspend the hammock, but I am looking for the quickest and easiest hang without knots. Too lazy??

Hammock
    TravelSafe Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    JW MoonShadow XL
    Insulation
    CDS pad
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Jot,
    ... But I take it you believe that the suspension set up using Figure 9 hooks below would hold a 200 pounder just fine? ...
    Yes I do.

But you do have to realize you're using up margin in the design factor that's there for a reason, e.g. fluctuations in the performance of individual hooks.
    You are after all loading the hooks beyond their load limit.

If I were in your position I would test all my hooks under 400 lb. If you have access to a facility where you can do that, please do. At least inspect them even more thoroughly than you would normally do before each hang.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    I've been using figure9's for about a year and a half on my Hennessey Hammock. I kept the stock suspension cord on the hammock and use 1 inch webbing for tree straps, attaching them to the loop on the figure9. I like the ease of setup and adjustment. I realize I may be pushing the load limit on these, but it doesn't keep me up a night. Besides, I rarely hang more than a foot and a half off the ground, and although a potential failure may be a bit embarrassing and uncomfortable, it likely wouldn't be catastrophic.
    Last edited by dedspiderfish; 10-22-2013 at 08:43.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dedspiderfish View Post
    I've been using figure9's for about a year and a half on my Hennessey Hammock. I kept the stock suspension cord on the hammock and use 1 inch webbing for tree straps, attaching them to the loop on the figure9. I like the ease of setup and adjustment. I realize I may be pushing the load limit on these, but it doesn't keep me up a night. Besides, I rarely hang more than a foot and a half off the ground, and although a potential failure may be a bit embarrassing and uncomfortable, it likely wouldn't be catastrophic.
    I know the saying is never hang higher than you are willing to fall but just keep in mind the should the head end fail a head injury is possible. Not as critical if over grass or pine duff but if you are in a basement or garage over cement it can be pretty dangerous. Just be careful.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast