Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    War Bonnet Black Bird Baby
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Underquilt
    I also love my golite - I've got a Quest (women's). Comfortably carries more. After I got the more expensive, lighter and smaller down sleeping bag i was able to upgrade to a smaller, lighter backpack (originally used a 5.5lb Dana). Just those two items alone saved me almost 5lbs on my pack. True, it would be nice to loose the extra 20 lbs on my butt, but it's less work to lighten the pack

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Billybob, I don't know if you can find ULA packs near you to try, but I couldn't, and I won't drop that kind of money on a pack without trying it on. I found the Atmos 50 (osprey) and the Gregory Z55 to be awesome packs. They're made for a 30lb sweet spot, but they can both be overloaded.

Steep And Cheap has had the Z55 on about 5 times this month for under $100 bucks (retail $200). I bought one the last time it popped up.
    Sorry negative review below:

I have to put a bad word in for the Z55 pack. Given I was at the top end of it's load rating fully resupplied. But it didn't hold up well for me. I had to field repair it a few times. It was coming apart at the shoulder strap seams at the bottom. Not good. It would also not stay tight and I would have to constantly readjust it.

Oh and I still have the Z55 size long that I could be able to part with for a very good price. Been keeping it in reserve for trips where someone needs a pack.

Their service also leaves a lot to be desired. Yes Gregory did send me a replacement pack. In good shape but you could tell it seen some use. It also went to crap on me. I replaced it out for my old trusty 5 lbs REI pack (still can't part with it and probably never will).

The story goes on that a couple months later when I get back from my thru I call Gregory multiple times. Each time I get passed around and they have no record or no idea where my pack is. I keep getting told I would get a call back. Never did.

Normal of this rant is I killed 2 of their packs in 600 to 800 miles. Add to that bad finishing service. The results I had with the pack was very consistant with the going word on the trail. These packs don't hold up over time.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    ULA has the pack you need, either a Catalyst or a Circuit.
    I second this. I bought the Circuit sight unseen as a replacement for my Gregory Reality 4300ci and 5.5 lbs. My Gregory was soooo comfortable but my Circuit at 36 ounces is even more comfortable and is much easier to pack and get to gear that I need. I'm now getting ready to buy his smallest pack the Conduit if I can squeeze my summer gear down a little.

The owner of ULA, Brian Frankle, is easy to deal with and will take back any packs that people decide they don't want as long as you don't use it outdoors. Last time I heard he hasn't had to take one back yet.

ky chris
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Images
    I guess you have to buy these direct from ULA?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I guess you have to buy these direct from ULA?
    Yes, if memory serves me correct there are only 2 outfitters on the AT that he sends packs to.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    From this FAQ: http://www.ula-equipment.com/faq.htm

*Mountain Crossings at Walasi-yi: Located at Neels Gap on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia . Winton and the gang are into their fourth year of carrying ULA-Equipment Packs.
    706-745-6095, or on the cyber highway at: www.mountaincrossings.com .

*Mt Rogers Outfitters: Located in Damascus along the Appalachian Trail in
    Virginia, Jeff and his associates have been carrying ULA-Equipment products since 2004.
    276-475-5416, or on the cyber highway at: www.mtrogersoutfitters.com

*Bluff Mountain Outfitters: Located in Hotsprings, NC. Wayne and his associates have been carrying ULA-Equipment products since 2004.
    828-622-7162, or on the cyber highway at: www.bluffmountain.com

When I ordered mine, Brian didn't have my size so he referred me to Mt. Rogers Outfitters. They were very helpful and also have free shipping for purchases over $100.

KY Chris
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Hammock
    HH EXP-ASYM CAMO
    Tarp
    HH ASYM CAMO
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    ...i find the source of my weight to be my 0 degree nebo grizzly, at 6.7 lbs!!!!!
    my friend's nephew scored a 2.2lb synthetic bag rated at 32 degree F for $40 a few months ago at a nearby sporting goods store called "Jay's Sporting Goods".

I'm pretty sure that was the listed weight. I recall holding it and it was really light and small.

Will call him tomorrow and ask him to tell me what brand/model it was so I can post it.

Although I think we got a bit of "special help" from the nice older sales rep, these deals are probably out there.

Here is the story for fun:

We go in specifically to find him a light bag. The sales guy spots us and asks if we need any help. We decline (since we "know what we are doing"), thank him, and move on to looking.

After about 30 minutes of going through all the bags, we are checking out this 3.5lb bag rated at 30 degree F for $50. It's real small and fits the bill. It looks like this years big push as there are 20-30 of them on the shelf.

The sales guy notices we are looking at it for a while, finds his way by us, asks if we have any questions then we start to talk about this bag. He asks what we are doing with it, so I give him the long version.

I explain that my friend and I are ultra lighters and go out trout/salmon fishing, disk golfing, hiking, mountain biking all the time and like to just set up camp wherever we end up. We took his nephew on a trout trip last year and all he had was a huge tent he borrowed and his sleeping bag was in this enormous box. He asks if I gave him a hard time and I reply, "yes, for a bit but stopped pretty quickly". As my friend was out west for the winter, we planned to surprise him when he got back by having his nephew near ultralight and super mobile. I had given him my old medium ALICE pack and he bought a Hennessey hammock like my friend and I have. Then I tell him we basically were here to find a new bag.

After all that I spring the question, "do you have anything that might be just a little bit lighter for a comparable price?".

The sales guy ponders for a second and then says to wait a minute. He goes over to the down bag section and digs down low on the 1st shelf, shuffles things around a minute and reaches way back around the bags on display to produce one.

We inspect and I say, "forget about the 2 degrees F, it's a pound lighter.", my friend's nephew exclaims, "and it's 10 bucks cheaper". All three of us smile and the purchase was made.

I'm still pondering the moral of the story, but that was a cool old man for sure.

Images
    I used to work in retail. A lot of time there are discontuned items randomly around the store. Lets just say that's how I got a lot of my tools. But if a customer was cool and it was something we didn't want we would pass along a killer deal.

Good to see an outfitter do it. I had mixed experiences at outfitters. After you go to a couple really good ones it's hard to go into ones where you do know more than the people working. But as long as they are nice and helpful than that is enough for me. I usually go in almost knowing what I want anyways.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123