Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps

Carabiners??????

I was wondering what excatly is the point of carabiners? I mean I understand what they are for and how convient they are. I mean when dealing with webbing, if your webbing has a sewn loop on the end why add a carabiner? Isnt it just as easy to thread your webbing threw the sewn loop when attaching to a tree? Would'nt you just be saving weight if you skipped the carabiners? So since I'm a noob I'm just assuming theres something I'm missing.... I went out yesterday to try out my new system and just got to thinking.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

I think mainly it's the relative ease of using them versus tie/untie knots.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Same as a dutch clip .... just makes things a bit easier.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    I was wondering what excatly is the point of carabiners? I mean I understand what they are for and how convient they are. I mean when dealing with webbing, if your webbing has a sewn loop on the end why add a carabiner? Isnt it just as easy to thread your webbing threw the sewn loop when attaching to a tree? Would'nt you just be saving weight if you skipped the carabiners?
    You have it figured out with one caveat, with a carabiner you don't have to unthread/thread anything, you can just unhook at take down and snap-on at setup. The point in using then is that it is easier and quicker.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    It is just an ease thing. I have arthritic hands and threading/unthreading, tying/untying just doesn't work for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    I was wondering what excatly is the point of carabiners? I mean I understand what they are for and how convient they are. I mean when dealing with webbing, if your webbing has a sewn loop on the end why add a carabiner? Isnt it just as easy to thread your webbing threw the sewn loop when attaching to a tree? Would'nt you just be saving weight if you skipped the carabiners? So since I'm a noob I'm just assuming theres something I'm missing.... I went out yesterday to try out my new system and just got to thinking.
    I agree with everybody else, here. It's just makes things a little easier. I don't use my carabiner anymore. I do as you suggested: thread webbing through the loop.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It depends on what suspension system you are using. If you are using Tree straps with whoopies or rope then yah it is easy to just thread the short strap through the sewn eye and cinch it up tight. But if you are using cinch buckles or rings and have 15-20 feet of webbing to thread through the buckles and un-thread each and every time to be able to run them through the eye then it becomes a bit of a pain versus just clipping a carabiner. Some folks do it any way but it saves a lot of time to just be able to clip and then go set the tension with the buckles rather than having to mess with it a lot more.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As everyone has said ease of use is key. Set up is just so easy. You can just hold the hammock in its stuff sac, pull out the webbing with carabiner or dutch clip, put around the tree, tighten it a little and then walk over to the other tree while letting the hammock out of the stuff sac. Once you get to the other tree just do the same thing, tighten the webbing and you are done. The hammock never has to touch the ground and you don't have to thread anything.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    It depends on what suspension system you are using. If you are using Tree straps with whoopies or rope then yah it is easy to just thread the short strap through the sewn eye and cinch it up tight. But if you are using cinch buckles or rings and have 15-20 feet of webbing to thread through the buckles and un-thread each and every time to be able to run them through the eye then it becomes a bit of a pain versus just clipping a carabiner. Some folks do it any way but it saves a lot of time to just be able to clip and then go set the tension with the buckles rather than having to mess with it a lot more.
    At the moment I use webbing with rings. It makes sense that it would be easier if my system was all one piece but I tend to take it all apart when I put it away. My rings are attached to my hammock. So all I'm left with is my carabiners and webbing. I ahvent been out when its wet so I havent had to worry about my hammock hitting the ground. It just dosent seem to save any time yet. You know all in all I think I just need more hang time
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    More hang time is always good Most folks leave the webbing attached all the time with ring or buckle set ups so there in is the time/effort savings. If you always break it down then only a few seconds difference for you. Both ways work, neither is likely a lot better than the other, just options.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast