Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi

Question Lightest Tarp for UL BMBH

Query for the wise:

I really enjoy my new hammock, the UL BMBH by JRB. You know it well enough by now. I didn't enjoy the realization that my current batch of tarps is lacking an appropriately sized tarp for the UL BMBH. I'm looking for some information that I thought someone might already have come across. Specifically, what on-the-market tarp is the lightest that works well with the UL BMBH? - & - In your opinion what would be the ideal tarp dimensions for the hammock (with as little necessary tie-outs as possible)? Thanks for any info.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    No answer for you but thought I'd mention that I am pondering the same question. I'm thinking maybe an 11' x 8.5' cuben fiber rectangle tarp. But the price is a bit off-putting!
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The minimum tarp size for a bridge hammock IMO is a hex 11 x 8.5 IF the bottom part of the hex is 7'. A lot of tarps are closer to 6' at bottom edge. I have used tarps this size on my bridge in varying weather. You can not get up "into" the tarp like you can with a regular hammock. Hang bridge lower and tarp wider than you normally do and everything is good.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I got no experience with the bridge hammock. I just wanted to comment that this summer I have been hangin my Cuben tarp high & wide, more so than I did with tradiontal fabric tarps. I believe it's the greenhouse effect, and my attempts to mitigate it. Anyway, hung like this there is certainly enough room for a bridge hammock.

Again, I have no experience with bridges, I just wonder how something like a Gar-Gear Oogee would work out with a bridge hammock? they are pretty light for silny and the coverage is surprising when witnessed in person.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    No answer for you but thought I'd mention that I am pondering the same question. I'm thinking maybe an 11' x 8.5' cuben fiber rectangle tarp. But the price is a bit off-putting!
    I'm in the market, too. My MacCat Deluxe is just a smidge short. Might try the Ultra @ 12'. I believe there have been issues with the bars tearing cuben so you might want to investigate that further before dropping the coin.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I'm in the market, too. My MacCat Deluxe is just a smidge short. Might try the Ultra @ 12'. I believe there have been issues with the bars tearing cuben so you might want to investigate that further before dropping the coin.
    Which is the lightest but with adequate protection? That is a tough one. Also depends on summer vs winter. IOW, it is a little more critical to keep both cold wind and all wind blown moisture at bay in the winter. Depending of course on where you are. For example, down here this time of year, most nights I don't care if wind gets past my tarp.

Your challenge is the spreader bars. Because you want to avoid bar/tarp contact, you are always going to need a wider pitch than you will with a non-bridge. Which makes it tougher to get adequate coverage with smaller tarps.

One thing in your favor- at least it seems to me - is the outer rings plus the inner rings. Double rings. So it has always seemed to me that length wise is not all that critical. If the outer rings get some rain on them, you still have the inner rings to block the water running down the straps, seems to me. Add a little twist or two to the straps and maybe some drip lines on the inner rings and seems to me you should be good to go. But the sides- or blocking wind on the ends - is a different story.

When I first got a JRB, I had the Maccat Deluxe and did not think it was adequate. I think it is about the same 11 ft length as the JRB 11X10 which provides plenty of coverage. But the difference is width and rectangular vs hex. The JRB provides a good bit more coverage. Of course, there is a weight penalty for sure.

But even the JRB tarp can be a challenge when the wind is blowing in the ends, or the wind is slamming the tarp into the bars. But Grip Clips or sewn/glued on panel pull outs at the spreader bar contact points solve most of this problem. This allows a much more narrow pitch - even closing one end to block wind- while still avoiding bar contact. In this picture the ends are closed like doors, and there is a Grip Clip on the right side only, pulled out to a hiking pole. As you can see, plenty of room on the Grip Clip side, lots of contact between tarp and bars on the left with no Grip Clip. This contact is much worse than normal because I have closed the ends to block the wind.

I never tried the clips on the MC Dlx, who knows it might have worked. But I doubt I could have closed the ends. That will cost you about 6 oz more weight to be able to use the JRB rather than the MC dlx, at least with the Sil-nylon models. But I do think the coverage is more than adequate.

tarp

Ive been in the market for a new tarp for my BMBH also. I too, would like to get something as light as possible with adequate coverage. IVe looked at some of the cuben offerings, but they sure are expensive. I think I will just go with a WB Superfly and see how that works out. Not the lightest, but not going to break the bank either.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    gotta hang it high and wide if you want to get around additional pullouts and lines.

i used my wb bmj with good success... but you gotta hang it like an awning, rather than a tepee / tight A-frame.

i plan to use my wb superfly with my bridge, be it ending up the bmbh ul or the wb yet-to-be-released.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts