Tarp for JRB Bridge Hammock

I'm thinking about getting a jrb bridge hammock and was wondering if my MacCat deluxe tarp would work with it.
    Redbeard

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Some people have had issues of fitting the bridge style hammocks under a tarp. I know Grizz had some coverage issues with his DIY bridge and the MacCat, but the JRB BMB is designed a little different so it make work. I'm sure someone here has tried it and can say for sure.

IMHO one of the best tarp setups I have seen for the BMB is the JRB 11x10 tarp setup in the Baker's Hut configuration. I do have my doubts on how much protection you would get with high winds and blowing rain with one side of the hammock kinda exposed like it is. Of course good site selection and setting the tarp up so that the wind is blocked on the covered side would help, but wind and rain can shift directions without warning, even if it's just momentary change.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I have actually not used my JRB tarp with my JRB bridge yet. Been using my Black Cat tarp with it cause it is a little bigger. Good advise given by Headchange4u.
    I need to try that Baker's hut set-up.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I have a Mac Cat Deluxe I used to use with my HH EUL. It always kept me dry but I was paranoid that I would get wet in a real good storm.

Since switching to the JRB BMB I have only used the JRB tarp. No worries about getting wet under that thing at all! I've experienced some of the hardest rain I have ever camped in and not only stayed dry but was able sleep sound without checking the tarp every so often.

Once I get chance I will try setting it up with the Mac Cat and see how it looks.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I have set up my BMB under my Mac Cat and though it took some tweeking, worked well. I have a Mac Cat Deluxe that is two feet longer than stock...a 14 foot ridge line. That helps because with the BMB I need to pitch the tarp a little flatter than with my other hammocks.
    What I found out is this, but remember I was just using my hammock stand that flexes a lot. When I pitch the MC over the BMB, the spreader bars hit at first. I adjusted the angle of the sides so that the bars did not hit, but were close, but when I got in the hammock it lowered the height of the hammock so that I had bookoo room under it.
    I was pitches so high however, that adding my hiking poles to one side made only a very slight difference.
    I think it will be fine.
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I just set up my new bridge and before I took it out, I sewed daisy chains to support the tarp (via carabiners) directly onto the webbing. I prefer this method, less knots to tie. Anyway, the tarp rubs on the spreader bars without weight inside but once you get in it there is about 2 inches of ceiling above you, and a little sway room. Keep in mind this is a MacCat standard. When inside, I can sit up without rubbing. I think the Deluxe might be just fine, in 3 season use.
    (also, pic 2 is seen with the famous fountain of Fountain Hills)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by te-wa; 06-25-2008 at 22:05.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    I just set up my new bridge and before I took it out, I sewed daisy chains to support the tarp (via carabiners) directly onto the webbing. I prefer this method, less knots to tie. Anyway, the tarp rubs on the spreader bars without weight inside but once you get in it there is about 2 inches of ceiling above you, and a little sway room. Keep in mind this is a MacCat standard. When inside, I can sit up without rubbing. I think the Deluxe might be just fine, in 3 season use.
    (also, pic 2 is seen with the famous fountain of Fountain Hills)
    So what do you think about your bridge?

Images
    if u use the jrb 10 x 11 tarp or speer winter tarp does that fix the problems of the spreader bars rubbing and still give you full coverage?

Jay

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jay590 View Post
    if u use the jrb 10 x 11 tarp or speer winter tarp does that fix the problems of the spreader bars rubbing and still give you full coverage?

Jay
    Speaking only for the JRB tarp, when the hammock is unoccupied, the spreader bars will touch the tarp. Once you get in, it will not touch the tarp. I would think you could make the Speer tarp work well for the JRB bridge as well. One thing I did with the spreader bars is I cut out small doughnut shaped pieces of closed cell pad and placed them directly on the ends of the spreader bars. It gave me more piece of mind as it glided over the tarp.

Images
    ok thanks for that.

Jay

• + New Posts