Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    In my galleray I have a pic of a mod I did to my old HH. I just tied a loop in the hh line and put a strap in it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Wouldn't simplest option be to just tie the stock HH rope to the buckle?
    Yes, but depending on the model of HH (Explorer or Expedition) the stock rope is too thick to wrap in the buckle multiple times (ala prussik) and tends to slide to one corner. That creates uneven pressure on the webbing on the other side of the buckle. YMMV

Before I get any more PM's about this - I don't claim that the method above is either the best, simplest, cheapest, lightest, or easiest way for replacing the suspension. It is only represented as A WAY to replace it. Jim Bowie asked for a way to change the suspension, so I answered. Period.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 02-13-2008 at 15:18.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Jim Bowie asked for a way to change the suspension, so I answered. Period.
    And I thank you. I'm certainly open to other ideas, but I like the idea of the method that I have to do some work, but nothing that can't be fixed/undone. Thanks again.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bowie View Post
    P.S. I have chosen not to take this to PM, only because I'm holding out hope that their are others out their as clueless as I am who may benefit from the hand holding.
    Thanks JB. I'm learning from this as well.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Yes, but depending on the model of HH (Explorer or Expedition) the stock rope is too thick to wrap in the buckle multiple times (ala prussik) and tends to slide to one corner. That creates uneven pressure on the webbing on the other side of the buckle. YMMV
    Actually that's exactly the info I was looking for. I have an Expedition and am planning to add my cinch buckles to it. I figured you had a reason, I was just wondering what it was.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    I figured you had a reason, I was just wondering what it was.
    No worries. I wasn't referring to you above. I get a lot of PM's asking why I link to the StrapWorks webbing when there are other lighter options available. My reason for that is that StrapWorks is the only vendor I know that does "to-order" sewing on the webbing for you. That simplifies things for the no-sew instructions.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

No worries. I wasn't referring to you above. I get a lot of PM's asking why I link to the StrapWorks webbing when there are other lighter options available. My reason for that is that StrapWorks is the only vendor I know that does "to-order" sewing on the webbing for you. That simplifies things for the no-sew instructions.
    Follow up question:

When wrapping the webbing to the tree, I assume you just feed one end through the loop on the other...therefore, would you purchase a single length of webbing with a loop in each end and cut it in half, or is that not recommended?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bowie View Post
    Follow up question:

When wrapping the webbing to the tree, I assume you just feed one end through the loop on the other...therefore, would you purchase a single length of webbing with a loop in each end and cut it in half, or is that not recommended?
    You could certainly do that. If you use that method, though, you will have to pull the webbing out of the buckle for each hang. For fastest setup, I would use a carabiner on the end loop and just clip the webbing back to itself after wrapping around the tree.

There is really no down side to getting loops in both ends of your webbing. If something ever did happen to the loop stitching, you then have a spare to fall back on.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Strapworks is the only no-sew option I am aware of as well. Maybe your existing rope will be sufficient for a try, Jim, you don't specify your HH model. I just sewed my webbing loops but haven't attached the buckles yet so your post was opportune timing for me. Thanks for the additional info, sparrow, I was actually referring to your photos last night for how to attach buckles and had wondered about the rope thickness.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    One word of caution for those that do this and use Snake Skins on your HH - the snake skin needs to be on your cording between the buckle and your knot-cover. If you don't pay attention to this, you won't be able to pull your snake skins past the buckle, and will have to untie/re-tie the knot to correct the mistake.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast