DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Acer, that's good info. Let it be said though, some of us do use 7/64 Amsteel and I feel a lot better with webbing around the tree in that case.

I'll admit to having hung a Hennessy onto a pine by its stock suspension before, and in the morning I could see that the bark under the suspension looked shiny and polished, but not noticeably compressed. Nevertheless, that's not something I'll do again.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Acer, that's good info. Let it be said though, some of us do use 7/64 Amsteel and I feel a lot better with webbing around the tree in that case.
    Amen on all of that! I'm in the 7/64 camp, myself.

Acer, thanks for the insights from a pro.

FWIW, when I was doing the Risk test hammock thing a couple years back, the Walmart webbing did cause a little damage to the bark on some red oaks I was hanging from in my back 'yard'. The damage was only cosmetic but still not something I'd want to do on public property -- especially where other hangers would be likely to follow.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Here's a toggled suspension set up using a UCR made from 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

I had to use two slipped half hitches to keep the 'constriction' from sliding.

Here's what happened under load with a single slipped half hitch stopper knot:

I like the idea, but I'm not sure I want to use it with 7/64" Amsteel blue.

Late update: The double half hitches held for most of the day but when I sat in the hammock after dinner the first hitch started slipping just as the single hitch did earlier. <sigh>
    Last edited by Frawg; 06-19-2009 at 17:48. Reason: Update

Hammock
    WBBB, Clark NA
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4 season
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20*,NoSniv
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    As an arborist, I think I may be able to shed a bit of light on the subject. I climb trees all day and my rope sits and slides and runs through many crotches in a given tree, and over the years I've been back up in trees I've climbed before and not seen any residual damage to the tree.
    That said; I do use a type of strap called a Cambium Saver on very thin-barked trees such as Beech, Maples, and Pines. But other than those few, anything with bark over 1/2"-3/4" or so is IMPO (in my professional opinion), quite fine for running rope over, given that it's not tiny, like 7/64" Amsteel Blue or something.

Hope that's a bit clearer than mud...
    Acer
    Welcome to the forum, Acer, and thanks for the info. Your experience and professional opinion augment what common sense would dictate. Although questioning straps is sometimes like questioning global warming.

gridge

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64&quot;whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Definitely. I've got some Amsteel blue on the way, which I plan on using as my support line. I also have a bunch of scrap rope, and I pulled the core out of a section so it flattens out under tension, and I'm gonna see if that could be used as a strap.

Acer

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64&quot;whoopie sling
    I just had a light bulb moment when I saw your picture, Caboyer.
    Why not use a piece of Amsteel in a whoopie config. and slip the adjustable loop over the toggle, and the eye over your rings? Sure, it'd use more line, but you wouldn't have to worry about it slipping... I'll have my Amsteel soon and try to remember to report back.

Acer

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I just had a light bulb moment when I saw your picture, Caboyer.
    Why not use a piece of Amsteel in a whoopie config. and slip the adjustable loop over the toggle, and the eye over your rings? Sure, it'd use more line, but you wouldn't have to worry about it slipping... I'll have my Amsteel soon and try to remember to report back.Acer
    Hi, Acer!

I'm having a brain cramp and can't quite picture what you described; I'm not using any rings now...

I do look forward to seeing how you use the Amsteel.

BTW, I did have some success with an HFP Slippery 8 loop. It held well, and wasn't inordinately hard to break apart for adjustment.

Chuck

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I found the information on this thread very interesting.

A few years back I did some extensive experiments in an attempt to use friction hitches for a Single Line Suspension, SLS, System. It worked, but only if I used 1/4" diameter rope for the main rope and 3 mm or less diameter rope for the friction hitches.

Since then I have been very interested in trying to find a friction hitch that would work or some other means to replace the friction hitch.

I read about your UCR above and thought immediately that the UCR arrangement might be adapted to replace the friction hitch on an SLS.

I have a Bridge more or less permanently hung on a hammock stand in the basement using an SLS using 3 mm AS-78 as the suspension system. AS-78 is Samson Ropes version of a dyneema using the newest SK-78 and coated with their proprietary Samthane coating. I really love this rope. I'm very cautious in what rope I use for my SLS and in making my Bridges. This stuff is really remarkable for it's strength and exceptionally light weight.

I immediately pulled out my Selma fid for 1/8" rope, picked up a length of 1/8" Amsteel Blue and spliced the AS-78 down a section of the Amsteel Blue. The splice buries the AS-78 down the middle of the Amsteel Blue. I was hoping to replace the bowline on the end of the SLS with the splice and a spliced eye. The splice would allow the Amsteel Blue to slide on the AS-78 and hence make an easily adjustable SLS.

Alas, it is not to be. The splice slipped as soon as I tried sitting down in the hammock. It did not hold even as good as the friction hitches.

I then tried replacing the Amsteel Blue with some 1/8" Vectran. Same results. I was tempted to try replacing the AS-78 with 2.8 mm Spyderline with it's very rough polyester sheath in the hopes of increasing the coefficient of friction and maybe having a chance of having the splice hold. But the thought of going back to sheathed Spyderline for any reason was enough to stop me.

The friction bearing surface on 3 mm diameter rope is just too small using either friction hitches or splices to hold the forces present. Now I have the Bridge set up with approximately a 28 degree sag angle at the tree. So the forces are not multiplied out of too much proportion.

I have a suspicion that if I went to 1/4" diameter rope throughout, the arrangement would work. I get the impression that ZA2056 used 1/4" diameter rope. Is this true?

In going from 1/8" diameter rope to 1/4" diameter rope the friction bearing surface is multiplied by a little over 3 (pi to be exact). However, I rejected the use of 1/4" diameter rope for the SLS a few years back in my investigations of friction hitches. The weight and bulk of rope both increase exponentially with rope diameter, hence they are just too much. The same reason I eventually quit using webbing in my suspension systems - too much weight and bulk compared to 3 mm rope.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 06-19-2009 at 19:57.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64&quot;whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by caboyer View Post
    Hi, Acer!

I'm having a brain cramp and can't quite picture what you described; I'm not using any rings now...

I do look forward to seeing how you use the Amsteel.

BTW, I did have some success with an HFP Slippery 8 loop. It held well, and wasn't inordinately hard to break apart for adjustment.
    Chuck
    That's a pretty cool loop, I'll have to remember that one.
    Here's a crude MSPaint drawing of using a whoopie sling with a toggle. The blue is the whoopie, and the red is a strap with a toggle, and the gray is a ring, and green is the hammock. Hope that makes sense...
    hammocksupport.JPG

Acer

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    That's a pretty cool loop, I'll have to remember that one.
    Here's a crude MSPaint drawing of using a whoopie sling with a toggle. The blue is the whoopie, and the red is a strap with a toggle, and the gray is a ring, and green is the hammock. Hope that makes sense...
    Acer
    Now I see... Thanks, Acer!

What threw me was that I've evolved to using a second toggle in place of the ring... my short term memory is turning to swiss cheese, I guess.

Chuck

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast