Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kremmit View Post
    That's what the underquilt does.. puts a layer of insulation between the underside of the hammock and the cold air.
    Welcome Kremmit. This is a good point and here's my view of it.
    The sleeping bag/pad vs. UQ/TQ decision has a lot to do with where and how you use your set-up.
    Cold Cold Cold - Shug's undisputed expertise shows how to extreme cold winter camp (his videos are great). In this kind of cold, you deal with condensation and heat retention - outside moisture is in frozen solid state and dry loft retains your heat. TQ/UQs of down provide loft and pack down well. Great for far North winters and desert use as well as summer backpacking.
    Cool damp as in mid Eastern US coastal areas - here you deal with down TQ/UQs getting damp and loosing effectiveness from absorbing outside moisture and inside condensation. This is accumulative over several nights and requires airing/drying out on sunny days - ok in warmer weather but dangerous in 32 degree wet snow. Synthetic TQ/UQ or sleeping bags with pads (and wool/fleece blankets) work better in cool damp environment.
    Main point is that Air flow robs your loft of heat (TQ/UQ/Sleeping bag) - I've slept warmer on 25 degree nights with no wind than on 60 degree nights with a cold wind. The issue is how to block the wind without retaining inside moisture - condensation. Hammock Socks and enclosed tarps are two common methods to do this. Pads also help here by blocking the wind from underneath. I've used a rip-stop tarp pulled in like a loose burrito wrapper on windy dry nights. Windy and rain would be sock weather. Best of both would be to use both - a wind sock and a tarp. Just Jeff has a nice pattern I used to make a soft tyvek sock to block wind and overspray, along with my tarp.
    So area/weather determine what is best for you. There is no one solution for every condition.
    This is the attractive part of hammocking that HF supports so well - no matter what you currently have and know, there is lots more to try and learn to improve your individual situation. Just have fun and get out there and enjoy it in good weather. Learn and experiment when you can't get out. This is also my excuse to get more neat stuff:>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Welcome Kremmit. This is a good point and here's my view of it.
    The sleeping bag/pad vs. UQ/TQ decision has a lot to do with where and how you use your set-up.
    Cold Cold Cold - Shug's undisputed expertise shows how to extreme cold winter camp (his videos are great). In this kind of cold, you deal with condensation and heat retention - outside moisture is in frozen solid state and dry loft retains your heat. TQ/UQs of down provide loft and pack down well. Great for far North winters and desert use as well as summer backpacking.
    Cool damp as in mid Eastern US coastal areas - here you deal with down TQ/UQs getting damp and loosing effectiveness from absorbing outside moisture and inside condensation. This is accumulative over several nights and requires airing/drying out on sunny days - ok in warmer weather but dangerous in 32 degree wet snow. Synthetic TQ/UQ or sleeping bags with pads (and wool/fleece blankets) work better in cool damp environment.
    Main point is that Air flow robs your loft of heat (TQ/UQ/Sleeping bag) - I've slept warmer on 25 degree nights with no wind than on 60 degree nights with a cold wind. The issue is how to block the wind without retaining inside moisture - condensation. Hammock Socks and enclosed tarps are two common methods to do this. Pads also help here by blocking the wind from underneath. I've used a rip-stop tarp pulled in like a loose burrito wrapper on windy dry nights. Windy and rain would be sock weather. Best of both would be to use both - a wind sock and a tarp. Just Jeff has a nice pattern I used to make a soft tyvek sock to block wind and overspray, along with my tarp.
    So area/weather determine what is best for you. There is no one solution for every condition.
    This is the attractive part of hammocking that HF supports so well - no matter what you currently have and know, there is lots more to try and learn to improve your individual situation. Just have fun and get out there and enjoy it in good weather. Learn and experiment when you can't get out. This is also my excuse to get more neat stuff:>)
    ^^ nailed it! ^^

if you're using a tarp, why do you need a sleeping bag?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sdf View Post
    Sorta like sleeping in a tent with no sleeping bag…….
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by sdf View Post
    that's a bit like asking why you have windows and doors in your house if you have a roof lol

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Shug hit the nail on the head! Without your tarp, you are nothing! Without you, your tarp is nothing!
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

ಠ_ಠ-When I see a good hang

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNester
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

Sleeping System

Have you considered a sleeping system? I have a neo-trekker air sleeping system (at least i think thats what it was called) from Thermarest and as far as being warm in the hammock i don't think i could beat how toasty its been keeping me.
    Thanks,
    KSaggin.

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves"- Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234