bathtub design and shaped construction

well, my mind is in full swing of creating a 3 season down quilt set, so I have put a lot of thought into making it now. I am leaning towards building a snugfit look alike, and here are some thoughts I have had on the design.

JRB makes their quilts rectangular, and brings the sides up around the hammock edge. the snugfit is shaped like a hammock to cradle the hammock. I think the speer design is harder to make, but more efficient.

but since the hammock is a HH clone, i will be sleeping on 1 diagonal mostly, so it only needs to be shaped that 1 direction. Instead of being parallel to the hammock, although you are not, would it make more sence to have the quilt be on an angle? it will be difficult, but I would say nicer, so you have no "wasted" insulation.

als, JRB makes their quilts "flat", so they can be reversed if you so choose. the snugfit is created in its special way, where it contours the shape of the hammock. but the 2 sides of the quilt are not equal, the bottom is wider, so it wraps around. Once again, this is harder to make, but seems more efficient.

note:
    jacks, I really love your products, and they have inspired me greatly. it is just I like to design, and the simple rectangle doesn't cut it for me. this is not a personal vendetta against your product. so no hard feelings, right?

Images
    i have made a few uq's now near what you describe. it is definately possible. my best advice would be to just start with the inner shell (the part that touches the hammock) and it's suspension, first get the shape and how it connects to the hammock figured out (you will likely go through at least a few different shapes before you find one that fits snugly, (the suspension you choose effects this too, so it's not just changing the shape to fit, but changing/adjusting the suspension you create. )

once you are happy with the way it fits the hammock, then mess with suspending the insulation from that.

just a note, sheet type synthetic insulation is subject to the same radial compression that can occur when the shells are the same size(not differentially cut). that is to say that on a down quilt, the outer shell can compress the down, and on a synthetic quilt, the outer shell can compress the synthetic, but, the sheet synthetic that is sewn to the same perimeter as the shell, can compress itself, and needs to be differentially cut as well.

good luck.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    WBG - is your half-quilt asym?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    WBG - is your half-quilt asym?
    yes, it is sorta bathtub shaped with straight ends, the ends sit at an angle to the suspension axis rather than perpendicular, and there is a bit more quilt where your left shoulder would protrude into the side of the hammock, as the uq is minimally sized otherwise. good coverage, but just enough.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Warbonnet UQ will be tested tonight with forecast temps of 8 degrees here in Denver! If you guys don't hear from me again it's because I've turned into a popsicle!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The Warbonnet UQ will be tested tonight with forecast temps of 8 degrees here in Denver! If you guys don't hear from me again it's because I've turned into a popsicle!
    Denver!!! what'd cha have to do... fly out there to get it away from WBG
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nah, he got scared and ran off to Idaho!

Kind of hard to really put a UQ to the test in Florida. Plus, my pops lives out here so I get free food, booze, and two trees in the back yard LOL!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Nah, he got scared and ran off to Idaho!

Kind of hard to really put a UQ to the test in Florida. Plus, my pops lives out here so I get free food, booze, and two trees in the back yard LOL!
    well we'll be looking forward to hearing in the morning how it was<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Yes, I am most intrigued by Warbonnet's underquilt.

• + New Posts