Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps

Hello from Lafayette Louisiana-Newbie needs help with winter setup

Hello All

So I have decided to give hanging a try in an attempt to get a better nights sleep when camping. I have pulled the trigger and ordered a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL with a Superfly tarp from Brandon which should be in in about 4 weeks or so (the suspense is killing me already).

My camping journey's are car camping trips or camping trips or on my four wheeler down wilderness trails (like Wolf Pen Gap in Arkansas). I also take off when ever I can to go fishing and camping in the Henderson Swamp (less than an hour away). So unlike the hikers in this forum I'm not watching my weight.

In case I cannot hang my hammock (like Grand Isle and other beach trips that I sometimes take) I have ordered the cheap Kelty 2-man dome tent as a backup because I do not wish to set up my hammock touching the ground (that's why I'm getting a hammock right) and if I figure if I have to sleep on the ground I might as well do it in a tent.

All right now that you have an idea of what kinda trips I like to take I have a few question for ya'll. I am prollay going to want to get something to keep me comfortable in the late fall, early spring, and for that occasional winter we get every once in a while down here plus the occasional trip north I may take during everyone else's winter time. So here it goes...

Question 1: in the spring and fall time will a blanket and a sleeping pad tucked in between the layers of my WBBB XLC comfortably take me into the mid to low fifties?

Question 2: I have been looking at underquilts for my WBBB XLC and none of them are cheap. I am looking to be comfortable down to about 25 to 30 degrees as these are the coldest temperatures I ever expect to be in south Louisiana (I hate the cold) though the occasional northern journey to mid Louisiana might also happen during winter time. I would like a full quilt option like the Kick *** Quilts. My question is do they make underquilts with synthetic materials like sleeping bags and if so who sells them?

Question 3: Has anyone tried the New River Quilt with the WBBB XLC? If so did you like it? Why or Why not?

Question 4: lets talk about an overquilt for a minute which is even more expensive than the underquilts. To me most of the overquilts I have seen are nothing more than either semi-rectangular or mummy style that don't zip on one side. If this is so can't I just use my sleeping bag unzipped as my overquilt (which would also double as my sleeping bag for those late fall fishing trips to Grand Isle Beach when I would tent camp)?

Question 5: Can I comfortably sleep with a 20 to 30 degree setup in 40 to 50 degree weather?

Can't wait to get my hammock and go hang out somewhere in the swamp.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    1. Yes, I've slept in hammocks down into the 50's with just a couple blankets
    2. Kick *** Quilts does http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html
    3. I haven't
    4. Yes, I use a sleeping bag
    5. Shouldn't be a problem, you'll just have to vent it out a little.

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello neighbor. I too go camping in the Atchafalaya swamp area. I go to Island Outpost at Lake Fausse Point several times a year with Scouts in my troop. The sheriff does a good job keeping up the island. Anyway, I have a KAQ New River Long, no upgrades. It's great. I have an ENO D. In 50's and 60's, I just loosen the cords on the quilt so it hangs down a bit letting air between hammock and quilt, venting.
    My TQ is a DIY from a HF member. It is a 20deg mummy bag , zipper removed and a foot box sewn in, the guy did a bang up job, I got it for a fantastic price.
    I also have a Superfly. Great tarp. Love porch mode.
    I like my DN Deluxe, but I haven't really tried anything else though. It's so roomy and I get a great flat lay in it. It really suits me well,..... So far.

Welcome to the insanity. HYOH.
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    [QUOTE=Thom;1028034]
    2. Kick *** Quilts does http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html

I didn't Realize that KAQ was a synthetic hammock. That means that unlike down it will not lose it insulation qualities due to moisture,,,right

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Willjack1967 View Post
    Hello neighbor. I too go camping in the Atchafalaya swamp area. I go to Island Outpost at Lake Fausse Point several times a year with Scouts in my troop. The sheriff does a good job keeping up the island. Anyway, I have a KAQ New River Long, no upgrades. It's great. I have an ENO D. In 50's and 60's, I just loosen the cords on the quilt so it hangs down a bit letting air between hammock and quilt, venting.
    My TQ is a DIY from a HF member. It is a 20deg mummy bag , zipper removed and a foot box sewn in, the guy did a bang up job, I got it for a fantastic price.
    I also have a Superfly. Great tarp. Love porch mode.
    I like my DN Deluxe, but I haven't really tried anything else though. It's so roomy and I get a great flat lay in it. It really suits me well,..... So far.

Welcome to the insanity. HYOH.
    Where in the swamp do you go? I like the southern campsite at Sherburne WMA off the Whiskey Bay exit, it's free and secluded. The northern campsite is free too but there is a shooting range and usually more people. How much does Fausse Point charge you to hang out for a night or two? The reason I didn't go with the ENO is no bug net. What do you u use to keep the mosquitos from munching on you all night long?

Thanks for the advice

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lesspayne View Post
    I didn't Realize that KAQ was a synthetic hammock. That means that unlike down it will not lose it insulation qualities due to moisture,,,right
    You are correct.

Where in the swamp do you go? I like the southern campsite at Sherburne WMA off the Whiskey Bay exit, it's free and secluded. The northern campsite is free too but there is a shooting range and usually more people. How much does Fausse Point charge you to hang out for a night or two? The reason I didn't go with the ENO is no bug net. What do you u use to keep the mosquitos from munching on you all night long?

Thanks for the advice
    A lot of people use Permethrin. You can treat your hammock and clothes with it. Let it dry first before you lay in the hammock or wear the clothes.

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thanks for the advice
    Yep. The ENO was my first hammock. Comfy, Heavy, although I am becoming an
    Expert at DIY bug nets. Thinking about buying a WBBB XLC. Good stuff!

This is where we go http://www.iberiaso.org/content.php?page=n3a.php&&id=24
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Willjack1967 View Post
    That place looks great, can you do solo trips there or is it only for group camping?

• + New Posts