Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Backyard Hang - first for girls

Backyard Trip Report:
    After setting up the two hammocks and overlaying the tarps to cover both hammocks, I finally told the girls my plan. We were going to hang in the backyard overnight. They were ecstatic! Since this had all been kind of a last minute plan, I really didn't make any outdoor activity plans other than sleeping in the hammocks. Therefore, we stayed in the house until about 10:30pm. The temperature was 46*, with the forecast to be 40* by morning. I helped get all three girls situated in sleeping bags, along with pillows, stuffed animals and blankets. I'm not sure how there was even enough room for them with all the stuff they wanted in the hammock!!! I guess it's good that it is a huge hammock (both hammocks are DIY tablecloth 90"x11'). I got settled into my hammock and listened to them wiggle and giggle for the next half hour or so. After the girls finally quit their giggle fest, they quickly fell asleep. I got up once to check on them and couldn't even see the littlest one. I dug down in the covers until I found one of her legs. When I pulled back the sleeping bag and shined the light in her face, she squirmed around. I had been worried she might get squished and lost in all those covers! She was snoozing away as were the other two. I only heard them twice during the early morning hours make comments like, "move over" or "give me some covers." Then they were quickly asleep again. They were toasty warm and woke up smiling. It started raining at 6:15am. By 8:00, it was coming down fairly hard. We were mostly dry, but their hammock was very close to the tarp edge and was getting dripped on a little. Just as we were getting up, about a quart of cold water was suddenly dumped into my hammock!!! One of the tarps was collecting water instead of running off! That was a shocking experience as most of it hit me down my side and back! We quickly moved inside where we got ready to go to a geocaching Easter Egg hunt at our local state park. We spent 2 hours hiking in the cold, rainy woods. It was so much fun. The girls were very disappointed when they learned we couldn't sleep in the hammocks again tonight since the gear was all wet. Overall, we had a lot of fun. I was just glad for a great excuse to get to sleep in my hammock and they had a great first hang.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    What a great experience for them! Sorry you got drenched.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Hammocking & Geocaching --- Sounds like a great weekend!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

Backyard Hang - first for girls

Sounds like a great time! I love the smiling faces! I can't imagine putting our three boys in one hammock, I don't think it would still be up in the morning!
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY &quot;Ahote&quot;
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    Very cool, sounds like everyone had a nice time. Geocaching is the best! Impressive setup. (Did you make the UQ's? They look fantastic...)
    Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks...

Mahna Mahna...

"The more we hang, the more we have to leave in the end" -Gresh

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Sounds like it was a fun trip, Dawn. Other than the tarps being a water collector, the set up seems very nice. Did you find the geocaches you were looking for?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    JuneBug, you did a great job, as you can tell by the smiling faces of the girls. They will remember it forever.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Cute pictures, nice setup. It sounds like everyone had a great time! Thanks for sharing!
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG under quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Sounds like you had a great time.

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    What a great experience for them! Sorry you got drenched.
    It was my first time hanging in the rain. With having to overlap the tarps, I wasn't sure exactly how it would work. Next time, I will probably just hang them individually. However, if I ever decide to do the same setup, I will change a couple of things. On the blue tarp, I used paracord, because it was handy and I didn't want to use my lash-it on it, since I would be removing the suspension later. The paracord stretched some and allowed the tarp to sag enough to collect water. Guess this is why backyard testing is always a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    Hammocking & Geocaching --- Sounds like a great weekend!

-Klauss
    Being able to combine these hobbies is just the best thing ever! The hang I went on in December was actually a geocaching event, but we had more people in hammocks than tents/campers. I am looking at hosting a combined hang event in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    Sounds like a great time! I love the smiling faces! I can't imagine putting our three boys in one hammock, I don't think it would still be up in the morning!
    Haha...I kept telling them if they would stop wiggling that they would be more comfortable. This is one reason I wanted to be hanging right beside them. They were in my DL and I didn't want it to get messed up. Because they often fall on the couch all together, I knew that the three of them could sleep in the hammock together. I could never do that!!! I need my own sleeping space! They asked if the littlest one could sleep with me the next night if we were able to hang again. I said, "No way!" Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Hototo View Post
    Very cool, sounds like everyone had a nice time. Geocaching is the best! Impressive setup. (Did you make the UQ's? They look fantastic...)
    Thank you! Yes, I made the UQs. The blue one is a just a modded sleeping bag. I sewed loops on it for the suspension, but I am going to go back and sew on channels instead. It works very well and the girls were really warm. The green one is my down UQ (SnuggleBug) that I made. I used the 1.1 ripstop seconds from DIY Gear Supply. I have a matching TQ, that gets used indoors as much as in the hammock!

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Sounds like it was a fun trip, Dawn. Other than the tarps being a water collector, the set up seems very nice. Did you find the geocaches you were looking for?
    Thanks! I had never tried hanging hammocks side by side before as I always go to hangs alone. It took me a little while adjusting and readjusting, but I think it turned out well. If it hadn't been for the rain, it would have worked perfectly. Yes, we found a whole bunch of geo-easter eggs. This was an event, so the eggs were temporary hides within the state park. Each egg had fun information about the park inside. For example, a yellow egg was placed right below blooming Yellow Jessamine flowers, our state flower. That was neat as the girls had already learned about the flower in school. Another couple of eggs were near 16 large Water Oaks that were planted 75 years ago by the CCC. Other eggs told various activities that were available in the park and about the wildlife that live in the park and in lake waters. It was a very fun event.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    JuneBug, you did a great job, as you can tell by the smiling faces of the girls. They will remember it forever.
    Thanks, Baja. I hope so. They love being outside and in the woods. They would go to every hang if I would take them, haha. I am planning to make them all new hammocks and let them camp a lot more once it warms a little.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Cute pictures, nice setup. It sounds like everyone had a great time! Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you. We all did. I'm imagining that they will be wanting a repeat again very soon.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast