Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    you may be pushing the limits of you 30F UQ... i would take an extra Pad to be safe
    also if there is a way to test it before hand i would ... i always try to test gear at home before it makes it's way into the woods that way you know it's limits and how to set it up in case you end up in camp at night
    as for the space blanket it will add some warmth to your UQ but the range will vary from person to person what works for BB58 might not work for you
    and make sure you check for condensation .I'm on the other side of the VB spectrum then BB58 i don't use them cause i wake up in a lake of sweat LOL
    and make sure you have a bail out plan in case this doesn't work
    IMO using gear not rated for the temps you plan to camp in is not safe and should not be done remember mother nature is no joke and she can be mean and nasty when she wants to be so be safe and stay warm
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    In the past, when I winter camp, I use the same 10* bag, a thermarest and a ccf pad and a tent. Always toasty. In a hammock I am hoping to achieve that same bottom insulation Rvalue with the 30* UQ and a space blanket. So the real question is... is the Jarbridge 30* UQ and space blanket equivalent to a thermarest and ccf pad

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    probably not?

I think you're assigning magical properties to the thicker space blanket. It acts as a reflector.

a way to test would be to under dress for the 30F to see if you're cold or not. (close to home so you can bail!)
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    The last time, I used a cheap mylar from WM and I was nice and toasty at 30. This time I am using a thicker one from REI http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket
    Different "space blankets" are likely being referred to here. Some are, no-doubt thin foam covered with metalized mylar, like the one from REI. Others are metalized mylar film. "Pshaw" that .006" metalized film can be counted on for an additional 10F unless it is acting as a pronounced vapor barrier keeping a lot of skin-moisture from evaporating from the hammock bed acting as an evaporative cooling pad. Every once in a while it gets pointed out that the fraction of heat loss from radiation is minor, and only a fraction of that is available to be radiated back through one or more fabric layers. Then it doesn't get mentioned, and "space blankets" get touted for marginal benefits they cannot have.

----------

Now, I realize the costs are not comparable. But..... I look up the REI blanket, and see it weighs 12 oz, without line to hold it up.

I look up a Warbonnet 3 season Yetti good to 20-25F, and it weighs.........12.5oz with suspension.

Some prices:
    The REI blanket costs $14 without suspension.
    In order to upgrade the Yetti with 4 oz more down, to take the user down to 0F, the added cost is all of $25.

48" =1.25m of 5oz Climashield cost: < $20.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-19-2012 at 19:51.

Images
    In the past, when I winter camp, I use the same 10* bag, a thermarest and a ccf pad and a tent. Always toasty. In a hammock I am hoping to achieve that same bottom insulation Rvalue with the 30* UQ and a space blanket. So the real question is... is the Jarbridge 30* UQ and space blanket equivalent to a thermarest and ccf pad
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    probably not?

I think you're assigning magical properties to the thicker space blanket. It acts as a reflector.

a way to test would be to under dress for the 30F to see if you're cold or not. (close to home so you can bail!)
    Yep, probably not, but it also depends on the R value of the TWO pads ( stacked one on top of the other?). Depending on the thickness/R value of those pads, they could be way warmer than the Jarbridge plus a s.blanket.

Probably that heavier s.bl. is just more durable material. Unless it has some kind of bubble insulation built in, it won't be any warmer than your cheap sb. Thick or thin, both should reach the max radiant and vapor block.

Jarbridge is rated for 30. If you were TOASTY at 30 with Jarbridge and SB. So all other things being equal and perfect(clothing worn, wind protection, moisture, humidity, dry insulation, warm food, your condition) you should be at least OK at 20 or 25, if not toasty.

For me, more than a few times, whatever the quilt is warm for by itself- then add 10 or even 20 for radiant and vapor block. Many others have also reported being immediately very noticeably warmer when they add the space blanket to the HH Super Shelter system. But the most you can expect is an additional 10 to max 20 over what you can get without the s.b.

But until you know how that will work for you, a torso size piece of CCF pad is your most fool proof and bombproof insurance. Two stacked summer weight pads kept me TOASTY at 18F with no UQ. This winter Ducttape did minus 21 with 1.25" of CCF under his torso plus a Garlington Insulator.

Pads are the most bang for the buck, giving you huge insurance until you figure out how low you can go with the Jarbridge and sp.bl. How much does a torso sized piece of WM blue pad weigh or cost? And it is essentially wind and waterproof.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-19-2012 at 23:59.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    To be safe, I'll bring a extra pad. Should I bring the thermarest lite or the WM 3/8" ccf pad.
    Last edited by Girotogo; 02-20-2012 at 02:51.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    is the thermarest inflatable? If yes,
    Then go for the CCF- it will be warmer. - my opinion.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I literally just came in from a backyard overnight. It is currently 21 degrees, no wind. Really crisp, frosty morning. I had the jarbridge UQ and a Wally world CCF pad, the waffled texture kind. I also was only using my 30 degree Big Agnes bag on top. I was really warm. I tested it yesterday, as the temperature was falling, with and without the pad. I started to get noticeably cool at around 26 degrees. I have spent the night with just the jarbridge at about 32 and was fine. I think it is very accurate on the 30 degree rating. You could get by with it a few degrees cooler, but you wouldn't be as comfortable.

This was really a temperature shakedown hang. From now on, I am going to add the pad when it is expected to be below freezing. It straps on to the bottom of my pack, so it is bulky, but it doesn't weigh much. For what its worth, I think I could take that set up lower, maybe with a few more clothes or a light down throw to supplement the big Agnes. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

temps dropping to 12F

Checked the temps and it will be dropping to 12F at night. Ugh! What should I do?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Checked the temps and it will be dropping to 12F at night. Ugh! What should I do?
    Bring a pad or 2 and your UQ. You will find out whilst out there.
    Hot water bottle. Jacket over footbox. Eat well and have hot drinks. Enjoy learning in the c-c-c-cold.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast