Blackbird dl1.0
    Tarp
    12' GG
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Webbing

Poncho liners "fake" vs "real"

Is there a big difference between genuine surplus and copycat clones. We have a Fleet store that carries what I'm pretty sure are clones. Lotsa loose threads, etc but still look pretty good. There are a couple of surplus stores nearby but they never seem to have any of either kind. Is there a big difference? I'd like to try making a PLUQ.

Thanks

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Yes there is a marked difference. The issue ones "feel" higher quality, I don't know how to describe it better. The cloth should be ripstop nylon, the camo colors should be dark and crisp. They are not as "fluffy" as the knockoffs.

Keep in mid though that some of the ones sold in surplus stores are issue (if you can find them) seconds, came from the same factor but have cosmetic flaws. I have also seen knockoffs that were extremely well made. The ones sold at places like Ranger Joes, Brigade Quartermaster etc. typically have pretty high quality copies.

I have plans on making a underquilt from a liner also, but am going to use a knockoff as I would hate to hack up a now hard to find issue one.

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    And then there are the Wiggy's PL... Same overall size but over built, if you get what I'm saying. I would say there is about 30% more material there total. I did the "official" stuff sack test, LOL. I actually used one this winter as a comforter at the house. I picked it up to see if it would replace my old issue PL and in some ways it will and others it is just too much...

Ski

http://www.wiggys.com/

Hammock
    Blackbird dl1.0
    Tarp
    12' GG
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I picked one up at the Fleet store to try. It was $14 so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm thinking I'll try the non-sew version first to see how it works. Sure doesn't feel like a lot of insulation in this things....is that normal?

Hammock
    Walhalla 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    OES MC DLX Sil
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/ GL Bag
    Poncho liners aren't hard to find, they are still issued as CTA-50 items. I have a Rangere Joes clone and it was about the same as my issue "woobie."

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Does anybody have a reasonably accurate weight for the issue liners? I've been looking in to them as an option for my setup.

With an issue liner, what temperature do you think they could be trusted to? Could they safely be considered a 3 season UQ?

-Smalls

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've successfully used a no-sew poncho liner underquilt down to about 45, maybe a bit lower. (I added a layer of Insultex in the middle... it helped some)

My son (10) uses it when he hangs, but he could sleep naked in the snow almost... he's quite the space heater.

If you added say 2 layers of IX, and hung it right, you could get down to 40 if you're a warm sleeper... any lower and you'd need a pad or more insulation.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=Poncho

I did mine a little different, my poncho liner was missing most of the tie outs. I sewed grosgrain loops at the corners and at the fold point. I set it up that when I put the corner loops together, I pull the top loop through the bottom loop. This pulls the top loop tighter, leaving a really small gap between the layers of the UQ. Theoretically, this should make the UQ warmer. If you look at Dejoha's illustration: Instead of tying the 2 pieces of shock cord at the middle, I added a cordlock. That way, I could just pull the excess shock cord and the ends cinch up. Release the cord and I get my PL back to normal real quick.

Tonight, I'm hanging in the back yard, and my PL is acting as a cover over my new DL 1.0 BlackBird...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Does anybody have a reasonably accurate weight for the issue liners? I've been looking in to them as an option for my setup.

With an issue liner, what temperature do you think they could be trusted to? Could they safely be considered a 3 season UQ?

-Smalls
    If memory serves, it weighs around 21-22 ounces. It is probably comfortable down to 50 or so. Unfortunately, in the Marine Corps, I used them on many patrols down to freezing. Not so good then, but better than nothing.

A few years ago, I bought an "enhanced" poncho liner from Brigade Quartermaster, made from a different fill material. It was a couple of ounces lighter than an issue liner and noticeably warmer, maybe down to 40. I think it cost about $40.

Hammock
    ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    Only have experience with the PL I ordered from Sportsman's Guide, which I believe is genuine. I have used it down to around 50 and was comfortable. I have woken up and thought it was a little chilly, but then had to get up to do some business and realized how warm it really was! Never woke up from being cold. I wouldn't take it down much colder than that without some more clothing or an extra cover of some sort. Like others have said, you could probably take it down another 10 degrees or so but you'll want to add auxiliary insulation. Mine weighs in at 28 oz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DYI UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I ordered mine from Wiggies which would make it a clone and the quality is excellent. It's good to about the 50's around 45 I gets chilled.

Bearclaw

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast