DIY Ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Unhappy No comfy position.

I just received my Hennessy Hammock (expedition bottom entry) from another forum member today, and set it up. The only thing it has done to it is Whoopie sling suspension. No matter how I lay in it it just doesnt feel comfortable. There's a ridge down the middle, and when I lay diagonally my feet are way lower than my head. I'm thinking that I need to hang the head end lower, but I can't do that now. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.
    -JakobW

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    XL Rain Fly
    Insulation
    Not yet known
    Suspension
    strp/cb/rappelring
    I'm more than likely going to make a bunch of enemies but I don't see how anyone could ever be comfortable in a Hennessy hammock. They just don't look comfortable at all. I could be wrong because I have never slept in one but standing on the outside looking in.... I wouldn't want one.
    Marland

Hammock
    Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie
    Try hanging the foot end 5-6 inches higher than the head end to stop the slide towards the foot end. Also how tight is your hang. A looser suspension sometimes helps get rid of some of the ridge.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Burd View Post
    Try hanging the foot end 5-6 inches higher than the head end to stop the slide towards the foot end. Also how tight is your hang. A looser suspension sometimes helps get rid of some of the ridge.
    +1 on what he said.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Images
    As Alan Burd said, keep the foot end higher. The Expedition is designed for hangers up to 6', so if you're a bit taller than that you're squeezed into coach versus first class. Hanging any hammock takes a bit of practice and experience before you find optimal comfort perfection. Slipping something (pillow/clothes bag) under the knees also helps. There are plenty of threads on finding the perfect hang.
    Last edited by Roche; 10-01-2012 at 19:11.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    +1 on what he said.
    +2 on what he said!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I only have a few hangs in mine but I have managed to get pretty comfy. One more tip, once you get in the diagonal, arch your back and put your weight on your shoulder blades and heels, then push out the sides and try to stretch the hammock out under you, then lay down. This will sort of force the ridge out to your sides and help you nestle into the sweet spot.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Plus 3 on hanging the foot end higher I tie a piece of green line on the head end of the hammock so I an tell which end is the head end while its still in the skins.

I'm 6'-0" and have no problem in my Deep Jungle finding a comfy lay---but I've got the standard suspension on it. It does take a bit of practie to hang things just right, but what you might try is a mini-spreader bar on the ends. There should be acouple of threads on here about them.

Images
    Never been in an Expedition. Only in my very comfy Explorer UL and about the most comfy of them all, my Safari. Both bottom entry.

But, in addition to the good advice already given, as you lie on the diagonal, try experimenting with how you are positioned relative to the center of the hammock. IOW, for ex, one of the pluses of the Safari is that it's size easily allows me to have more of my body towards the right or foot side of the hammock and away from the ridge.

Believe it or not, experiment with not being quite so diagonal. Try just the least bit of diagonal.

If your feet are below the rest of your body and you can't change that, your going to have a hard time. You are probably going to tend to slide towards the foot end through the night if the hammock is not at a minimum level and in most cases higher at the foot than the head end. So first thing is to find a way to correct that "my feet are way lower than my head" deal.

If you can't raise the foot or lower the head ( why not? ) try this trick: tie the foot end as close to the upright/support as possible, leaving the WS on the head end as long as possible. This will at least drop your head end somewhat, more than if the hammock is equally spaced between supports.

Can you sleep on your side and maybe in fetal until you get the rest figured out? In my HH Explorer UL and Safari, I can get comfort in fetal position that is hard to match and impossible to beat in any other hammock. But there is a trick! For years, if lying on the diagonal and on my back, I would just turn to my left side - facing to the left side of the hammock. Or turn on my right side facing right, and then maybe go fetal, but in both cases still lined up on the same diagonal as much as possible.

But now for right side fetal sleeping, I am still facing right but my head is almost in contact with the left side of the hammock and my knees almost in contact with the right side hammock pull outs. I am past diagonal and closer to 90 degrees relative to the hammock ridge line. The biggest change is in left fetal, where I shift my head from where it is for normal back sleeping to the other (right) side of the hammock with my knees about into the left shoulder hammock pull outs/tie outs area. Again, very close to a 90 degree angle to the ridge line.

This puts the hammock center ridge to an advantage, placing it under my side, providing cushy support for my side. Which is the opposite of a common side sleeping in a hammock problem known as side twist or side "torque". It is unbelievably comfortable. Again, I can not beat this comfort in any hammock I have, and rarely can I match it.

So, experiment with some of these tricks, work on that foot height thing, put something cushy under your knees. Hang in there, and good luck.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mullinax95 View Post
    I'm more than likely going to make a bunch of enemies but I don't see how anyone could ever be comfortable in a Hennessy hammock. They just don't look comfortable at all. I could be wrong because I have never slept in one but standing on the outside looking in.... I wouldn't want one.
    No enemies made. Just that you are wrong is all.
    Hennessey makes some great hammocks. Very comfortable ones too.
    Its what I started with and would recommend them in a heartbeat.

As to the OP question:

I would try and play around with different hanging angles first. And definitely move the head end slightly lower than the foot end.
    Someone else may have more insight into potential issues that may happen when switching out suspensions.
    I just switched my own Explorer Ultralight out to whoopies so i can loan it to 'potential hammockers' and make setup simpler. I dont see any issues so far.

Matt.
    Last edited by mbnow; 10-01-2012 at 20:10.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast