Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    For short trips, overnight, weekends and probably up to a week or so, or any length of section or thru where you have the ability to pull off the trail and mechanically dry insulation, pretty much always down.

Anything longer, Bug-out, extreme distances from vehicle or pick-up points, or expected wet, severe or potential life threatening conditions, High Quality Syn.

Warmth, weight, and compression, Down is always worth the extra money.

High Quality Cottage Syn, will only save you some on the actual fill price. Craftsmanship for the shell costs are about or should be the same.

Compression and weight penalties, IMO should be offset by application and need rather than initial price savings or cost.

Combining the use of Down TQs and Syn UQs can probably help you make peace with both pack size penalties, and over all weight, when packing for short term damp or wet weather fears.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Carabiner/webbing
    Images
    My vote is Climashield Apex 6 oz is good enough down to low 30's and probably lower I just haven't tried it below low 30's. You can machine wash it. You stay warm even when wet. And it compresses darn near close to what down does. Get a compression sack and you can compress it really close to what down gets. I think a lot of what you hear about down is peripheral hype. I made an underquilt recently with the Apex and posted here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69747 but I didn't take a photo of it compressed. Maybe I should so you can see. It really compresses well. The difference between it and down is so little it's like the volume of an extra two pairs of socks maybe at the most.
    the meek will inherit the earth!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSur View Post
    My vote is Climashield Apex 6 oz is good enough down to low 30's and probably lower I just haven't tried it below low 30's. You can machine wash it. You stay warm even when wet. And it compresses darn near close to what down does. Get a compression sack and you can compress it really close to what down gets. I think a lot of what you hear about down is peripheral hype. I made an underquilt recently with the Apex and posted here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69747 but I didn't take a photo of it compressed. Maybe I should so you can see. It really compresses well. The difference between it and down is so little it's like the volume of an extra two pairs of socks maybe at the most.
    The Higher quality cottage or custom DIY ARE one and the same. Beautiful UQ. Apex certainly does help to narrow the gap. I like the looks of that one, and yes, lets see it compressed when you get the chance.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Synthetic Top Quilt Questions

I would be interested in a fully compressed shot as well...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Carabiner/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    The Higher quality cottage or custom DIY ARE one and the same. Beautiful UQ. Apex certainly does help to narrow the gap. I like the looks of that one, and yes, lets see it compressed when you get the chance.
    I have yet to make my own compression sack. I want to make one just for this underquilt and another for the top quilt I'm fixing to get started on this week. For the mean time I've been borrowing a Slumberjack wannabe compression sack for my superlight summer bag. Due to the design of the webbing and how it's sewn together I can't get it smaller, but I can take this compressed sack and compress it even further with my own muscles. I would say I can bring down the total dimensional size on all sides by two inches further with a better sack. But in this present size/shape, I can take my hammock, webbing and underquilt on day hikes now and have a number of times so far! Get up to the top of the mountain and time for lunch, find a few trees, get set up, 15 minutes tops I'm swinging away, legs crossed and relaxing eating an apple. Best way to enjoy a picnic lunch! Here's a photo of the not so great Slumberjack compression sack sitting next to my ENO hammock and webbing sack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the meek will inherit the earth!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12