Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Thanks Shug for the review. I just got a Cuben tarp from Mountain Laurel Designs. Only used it once. But am planning to start a thru hike in my country, and take it with me. It's awesome.

Cheers,

R

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i wouldn't hold your breath on getting it wider than 8.5 feet anytime soon. Joe at zpacks' widest tarp is 8.5 feet as well. something about the width of the rolls of cuben and having any wider puts too much stress on the seam...
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    I suppose there could be two seams instead of one...?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Having 2 seams would equate to more material which equals more cost and a cuben tarp is already expensive enough as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I will probably start making tarps with silnylon as well but I wanted to launch into tarps with the CTF3 because I believe in it so much.
    This stuff is fun to work with. The bonding techniques are a little different than just running fabric though my faithful Juki, but it is getting more streamlined with every phase I complete.
    Until more companies start producing CF3 material, I do not see the prices coming down enough to make that extra seam of material cost effective. CTF3 comes on rolls of 54" ...and since the manufacturing process is so different, sometimes even THAT width varies.

Having said that, I can make a tarp that is 11 x 10.5 for an extra $50. That cost is mostly for material. I would have to draw it up as a custom job because I certainly do not have a pattern for THAT one....lol. Who am I to say if it is worth the money or not? Would I be jealous of that person's tarp?....yes.
    Adam, I am so glad that you are doing this. I've been thinking that it's just a matter of time before someone becomes really comfortable with their bonding technique and pushes the envelope (literally ) to make wider CTF3 tarps. In addition to being waterproof, CTF3 seams are structurally more versatile than sewn seams in silnylon. It makes less difference which way they run from the point of view of strength or stretch (IMO). I don't have the experience to bear this out, but I suspect that once a really efficient bonding technique is achieved it will involve less labor than sewing fabric seams. Of course, that saving will not entirely offset the increased materials cost, but it will help. I bet your time gets more valuable with every passing day. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Adam, I am so glad that you are doing this. I've been thinking that it's just a matter of time before someone becomes really comfortable with their bonding technique and pushes the envelope (literally ) to make wider CTF3 tarps. In addition to being waterproof, CTF3 seams are structurally more versatile than sewn seams in silnylon. It makes less difference which way they run from the point of view of strength or stretch (IMO). I don't have the experience to bear this out, but I suspect that once a really efficient bonding technique is achieved it will involve less labor than sewing fabric seams. Of course, that saving will not entirely offset the increased materials cost, but it will help. I bet your time gets more valuable with every passing day. Good luck!
    For the time being, I have to work on the orders I have for the regular dimensions tarp.

I am pretty excited about this little project too. To make the tarp wider, my plan is actually introduce TWO more seams. The reason being that I really want to keep things symmetrical and I definitely think one of the seams should be at the ridgeline.

As far as my bonding technique goes...I am REALLY happy with it so far. I am all about adhesives over tape these days. I have gotten consistently better results with that method. Regarding the efficiency of assembly over sewing....not so much. I am constantly trying to rework and rethink a better way of lining things up, but everything so far is kind of tedious...Good fun!

As far as the value of my time..lol...Even with this particular holiday, I am and army of one holding down the fort this weekend. No worries. I love Pandora

~sc
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    For the time being, I have to work on the orders I have for the regular dimensions tarp.

I am pretty excited about this little project too. To make the tarp wider, my plan is actually introduce TWO more seams. The reason being that I really want to keep things symmetrical and I definitely think one of the seams should be at the ridgeline.

As far as my bonding technique goes...I am REALLY happy with it so far. I am all about adhesives over tape these days. I have gotten consistently better results with that method. Regarding the efficiency of assembly over sewing....not so much. I am constantly trying to rework and rethink a better way of lining things up, but everything so far is kind of tedious...Good fun!

As far as the value of my time..lol...Even with this particular holiday, I am and army of one holding down the fort this weekend. No worries. I love Pandora

~sc
    Pandora goes better with glue fumes....Happy Fathers Day Stormy.....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Love the new video and cuben character, well done shug.
    How in the world did you get such a nice large tarp stuffed so small?
    Did you fold it or randomly stuff it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Love the new video and cuben character, well done shug.
    How in the world did you get such a nice large tarp stuffed so small?
    Did you fold it or randomly stuff it?
    Thanks OutandBack...
    I actually have the tarp in some home-made snake-skins and stuffed in the small sack.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    I stared at ya one night with the moon light shinin' thru yer tarp when I got up to make water.You looked funny.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Shot

Nice shot at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Chicago Bulls are looking for help.

John

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    I stared at ya one night with the moon light shinin' thru yer tarp when I got up to make water.You looked funny.
    You too....like a murky Perry Plummer.......Yah-Hey.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    Nice shot at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Chicago Bulls are looking for help.

John
    I am more Harlem Globetrotter material!!!!!
    Glad you liked it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast