Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have some thin tyvek which I painted (kite tyvek). I used acrylic paint, as in art supplies paint. It has stayed on for four years. The only down side is that paint is heavy. Too much of it will make your tarp heavy and stiff, I think.

Tyvek also stains. I want to try stain on it, like walnut hull stain, or beets. Dirt definitely stains it. Try rubbing red clay on it. If you don't have any, just ask anyone in my part of the country for some.

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Is it that plain ol' tyvek home wrap? That stuff is garbage. It's one thing to use as ground cloth, but not a tarp. That just seems like a lot of work for something that'll quickly fall apart. I've worked with Tyvek for many years, suits and home wrap, and I would never use it on my own house.
    Garbage? Are you one of those guys who thinks all house wrap is tyvek? Been using tyvek for years as a ground sheet, for bishop bags, ditty bags, etc. Threw a piece on the dog bed for an experiment to see if nails would rip it....survived in perfect condition for 6 months now. Both dogs I have weigh over 70lbs.

Tyvek is not paper. If you think it's paper than you obviously haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. Like saying an aluminum sheet is paper because it's flat. I guess all things flat and white must be paper.

On a stake test (poking a tent stake through, then trying to rip) the tyvek outperformed 1.1 ripstop hands down. Based off of pretty much every person on this sites experience with the actual name brand tyvek, it is not garbage.
    Nick 'Towellie'
    www.baxpax.org

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Looking forward to seeing your results.

My son and I have each been using simple 9'x9' tyvek tarps hung on the diagonal for monthly boy scout and various other camp outs for 2+ years now. Since the spring, I've been using a 12'x12' nylon tarp but I've been letting other scouts use the tyvek tarp and my younger son's hammock so they can give hammock camping a try. This past summer we used them together to create a tarp/ground cloth lean-to configuration when staying in state parks because they don't allow hammocks. The tyvek tarps have proven very durable and waterproof. I suspect we'll get a couple more years out of them. My only complaint is that they don't compress very well for packing (although it rolls similar in size to my 12'x12' nylon tarp). BTW, we addressed the noise issue by hand crinkling them, it worked much better for us than putting it the dryer with a pair of boots, and it was kind of fun.
    You'll find me hanging somewhere in the sunshine state.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma_pete View Post
    BTW, we addressed the noise issue by hand crinkling them, it worked much better for us than putting it the dryer with a pair of boots, and it was kind of fun.
    Hand crinkling? Isn't that considered a sin in the Catholic Church? You gotta do a video on your hand-crinkling technique. I simply cannot picture what you are talking about! Did you just ball it up and squish it thoroughly?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Towellie View Post
    Garbage? Are you one of those guys who thinks all house wrap is tyvek? Been using tyvek for years as a ground sheet, for bishop bags, ditty bags, etc. Threw a piece on the dog bed for an experiment to see if nails would rip it....survived in perfect condition for 6 months now. Both dogs I have weigh over 70lbs.

Tyvek is not paper. If you think it's paper than you obviously haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. Like saying an aluminum sheet is paper because it's flat. I guess all things flat and white must be paper.

On a stake test (poking a tent stake through, then trying to rip) the tyvek outperformed 1.1 ripstop hands down. Based off of pretty much every person on this sites experience with the actual name brand tyvek, it is not garbage.

Yes. I think everything in creation that's flat and white is paper. Your an idiot. I asked a simple question, stating my opinion after working with it for 7 years. If you don't like it, no one cares. You got to remeber, I never said I used it like you guys. I've used it how it was meant to, but the sun destroys it. Plus I said the suits rip easily, not the home wrap. Before you run your mouth, try reading everything. The home wrap is just paper, weaved, and coated for water resistance. The weaving separates easily. I don't care what you say or think, I've seen it over and over again. You guys have had good luck with it to cover a hammock overnight, that's great. But if I knew a bunch of whiny 'know it all' where going to cry about my question/experience with it, I would have said nothing. You can have it. I guess since you know everything, we'll let you answer everybody.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Enough already... no reason to let this get personal.

Back to the topic at hand:

Any winter tarp is basically long enough to have a set of "doors" closed at the end... my 8x10 nylon tarp is big enough to have a set of closed doors...

If your hammock isn't overly large, 10' is long enough for the tarp. Since it's tyvek... I don't see the point in doing anything fancy. Keep it a simple rectangle. Given that it's pretty narrow, I'd consider adding side pull outs to give you a little more wiggle room.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    John do you have issue with 8x10 being too small? I can see a 12x12 having doors, but would think the 8x10 would shrink away?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    John do you have issue with 8x10 being too small? I can see a 12x12 having doors, but would think the 8x10 would shrink away?
    It works, but it's not terribly roomy. That said, I don't do winter camping... or at least, winter to me is a little warmer than most of you think...

For my doors, I use shock cord tie-outs (Thanks to Shug.)

Wider than 8' would be nice, but it works... side pulls help a lot with space.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I got you. We have a similar winter me think. I may be even colder than you but ours is mild by most of these guys standards.

COuld you maybe PM me some pics of your shock cord closure? That way we'll stay on topic here.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Hand crinkling? Isn't that considered a sin in the Catholic Church? You gotta do a video on your hand-crinkling technique. I simply cannot picture what you are talking about! Did you just ball it up and squish it thoroughly?
    Yes, just balled and squished and balled and squished and balled and squished ... until it quited down. The kids had a blast making so much noise (it was deafening doing 3 tarps at the same time). I think it's along the same lines as why kids love popping bubble wrap so much.

Back to the original set of questions:

- Here's an interesting separate add-on door option to consider. I haven't tried it but I like the idea. It also could serve as a starting point for you to work up how to cut and attach the door end pieces if you go that route (just eliminate the fabric overlap on both sides and join the doors to the main tarp using tyvek tape). http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11785

- I wouldn't use the hammock ridge line (resting on it or suspended below it) to support the tarp. If you do, the tarp's tension is relieved when you get into the hammock and the sides will sag in too much (even with pull-outs to pick up some of the slack). Suspend the tarp independent of the hammock.

- I don't know if fabric overlap is really needed along the ridge line. From what others have posted about their torture testing results, they've found the tyvek tape joints are even stronger that the tyvek itself. I personally would rather have the extra tarp width, which allows the tarp to be extended further out from the hammock and/or closer to the ground to minimize air flow under the tarp. Perhaps run tyvek tape on both sides (top/bottom) along the ridge. If you overlap the tape over to the other side by severals inches with zing-it loops embedded under the two sets tape folds, you would have your suspension tie-out points.
    You'll find me hanging somewhere in the sunshine state.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast