View Poll Results: Which underquilt would you choose and why? [multiple choices available]

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3/4 20*

49 40.16%
  • 3/4 0*

9 7.38%
  • FL 20*

44 36.07%
  • FL 0*

28 22.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Question Fish the dog beggin' fer help

As you all can tell from my profile info, I have been here on the forums for about a year. In that time I haven't asked too many questions, I answer a lot more than ask, so I am using one of mine today and maybe help someone struggling to pull the trigger on fluffy bird parts at the same time.

So here's my quandary:

I am trying to pick between a 20* uq full or 3/4, or a 0* uq full or 3/4. if it were your choice, what would you choose for optimal versatility,comfort, and why? I am kind of a cheap guy and don't like spending much money on items (I'm a used car kind of guy) so I only want 1 underquilt for everything that I wouldn't be able to use my pluq for...

I totally understand venting, but if I layer right up top (ie a 30* bag) should I have to vent a 0 underquilt at say 30*? I have also read about air pockets around the knees with full length uq's but I really am leaning that way because I hate extra stuff in the hammock with me, (not sayin 3/4 quilts are out though)As anyone can tell, I am struggling with deciding where to put my hard earned dollars at. I have plenty of knowledge in other areas, but this area is a serious headache for me. This is me begging for help, so all are welcome to reply, the more the merrier as the saying goes.

Oh, no brand recommendations though, I'm well aware of the manufacturers, just pros, cons, and utility of deeper cold quilts. Thanks again all.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Personally I hate the cold. Full length all-the-way for that reason alone.

As to the temp range, well that depends on how warm/cold you sleep, where you're gonna sleep and how often you're gonna sleep there.

I like being warmer than I do colder, again, I hate the cold. I would rather have to wake up to vent than wake up shivering or clamoring for every extra 'anything' for insulation to help keep me warm.

Are you going to be sleeping in the cold often, or just often enough that you could bring warmer clothing?
    Is weight a concern? If not then the extra few ounces of insulation between the 0/20 may not matter, then again it might be completely wasted if you never need it.

If it were me, and I was planning on sleeping in cold places often I would buy the full/0.
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    I own a full length 20* and a 3/4 0*. The full length has less "fiddle factor" and seals up nice and easy, the 3/4 has to be "dialed in" a little better. I like the full better for Ease of use and use it from 55* to 20* comfortably, and consider myself a cold sleeper. My wife uses the 3/4 0* at the same temps comfortably (very cold sleeper) but she is only 5' tall so it performs more like a full length. I hope this random info helps you in some way

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap &amp; E.T.'s
    Images
    I'm a cold sleeper and I know that I won't do much camping in deep cold, so I went with a 20° full length with overstuff and draft collars. It it truthfully too much in the summer, and maybe I'll use that excuse to diy a down 40° UQ for summer. Then I'll be able to layer the 40 and 20 if I do get into some deep cold. IMHO a 20° UQ and TQ and a very versatile piece of kit, that doesn't have you carrying around way more than you need for most of the year.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Images
    I own 3 UQ's summer 3/4, winter 3/4, 20 degree full 2oz overstuffed.
    The 20 overstuffed full is my favorite and I will only grab one of the others if it's super hot or weight/volume in the pack is a big issue.
    disclaimer: mostly hang in Colorado mtns average night temp is low 40s

hth

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I just ordered the HG Incubator 0 degree. I had the same question and Adam gave me some great pointers. He informed me that 0 degree UQ can be used spring fall and winter without any problem based on how you hang it. I felt that I would rather have something that will go down to 0 degrees and hang it a little looser if it warms up than have a 20 and need more insulation. So with all that, I went with the full length, 0 because I too try to spend my money wisely and do not like anything more than I have to have in the hammock. And I hope you do not feel I was plugging HG just letting you know what I went with
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunred View Post
    My wife uses the 3/4 0* at the same temps comfortably (very cold sleeper) but she is only 5' tall so it performs more like a full length. I hope this random info helps you in some way
    I have found the 3/4 works best for me, however I am also short. I do get cold, my body thermastat does not work very well. I sleep with a down quilt year around.

Are you going to be using your uq mainly in places like Guam? Where you might reasonably Hang would have a lot to do with what you really need to be comfortably. My head and neck stay warm, I need the extra warmth from my shoulders on down. In my case it is my core that gets cold. So that is where I make sure I have extra protection from the elements.

We folks in the North need very different protection from the elements than folks in warmer climates.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Huge fan of my full length 3 season lynx. When it gets a little colder, I supplement it with a thermarest z-lite between the dbl layers of my Ridgerunner. Cheers

Hammock
    Chameleon #8 '17
    Tarp
    Tarp got boo boo
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoops-n-Biners
    I'm a warm sleeper and as a groundling I used a 3/4 pad so it was only natural to go 3/4 UQ. Over the past 3 months and on 6 trips I've have been using a packing blanket and my pad with a 35deg bag. While fully dressed I was able to go to a 28.5 deg night. Thats when I woke up and put on the fleece.

I just got my HG 3/4 0 deg UQ tuesday. While I have only hung in my bedroom with it, every time I lay down I've been wondering who turned on the heat? I can't wait to put it to a real world test but it will have to wait till after turkey day. This is my first season going into winter, therefore I can only say:

Nothing will beat trials of your own.

SO, how cold does Guam get? I'd take to the yard with what you have and see what you can stand. Besides, its fun to make your neighbors think there is something wrong with you.
    Sup?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I chose the 3/4 20*, because of the weight savings plus I live in the deep south so I don't need anything lower
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    -Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast