Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    I called niteize, and asked for the method of construction (forged or cast) and the actual breaking strength, but nobody there knew anything at all.
    I think it was stamped out. I watch a lot of How its made. It looks like something that was stamped out by a may ton press just because of how the seams look. But I really have no idea.
    Last edited by Jazilla; 08-31-2007 at 11:13.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images
    yeah, i saw those seams too.

no word back from niteize, i e-mailed them yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I think it was stamped out. I watch a lot of How its made. It looks like something that was stamped out by a may ton press just because of how the seams look. But I really have no idea.

Lightbulb New shape V-Cleat

I knocked up a pair of these roughly based on my drawings and warbonnetguy's recommendation of opening the v-cleat side.

Made out of 3mm (.12") extruded aluminium (aluminum), the pair's combined weight is 18g (0.6oz), but you'd only need one if you wanted to save weight. They seemed strong enough, but I'd much rather repeat the exercise in 5mm stock next time for a bit more safety margin.

The additional strength added by closing the loop seems to have made a lot of difference and the cleats survived a few bounces without any sign of damage.

Actually, on the first bounce, I ended up sprawled on the ground. I had made the profile with a nice sharp edge, like on a knife and that nice sharp edge sliced straight through the paracord that I was using. I quickly rounded all the edges with some emery cloth and ended up with what you see above. It's not pretty, but it still bites and grips well.

BTW, the battery is an AA cell shown for scale. The loop hole is 1" wide to fit HH tree huggers and other 1" webbing.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Why ?

Why make your own device when there is one that is cheap, very strong and very light (almost as light as what you have made) and is readily available?

That is unless you want to make your own

But then what about those of us that don't have a machine shop or the skills to use one.

This is my first day on the forums, so if I sound behind the times, well I am, but trying to catch up.

Images
    looks good, not much meat @bottom right, it is a closed loop there though.

3mm=1/8"?, i was thinking of using 3/16", i think thats what the nine is.

nice touch with the webbing slot, are you going to sew it in permanent to the tree strap?

Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    I knocked up a pair of these roughly based on my drawings and warbonnetguy's recommendation of opening the v-cleat side.

Made out of 3mm (.12") extruded aluminium (aluminum), the pair's combined weight is 18g (0.6oz), but you'd only need one if you wanted to save weight. They seemed strong enough, but I'd much rather repeat the exercise in 5mm stock next time for a bit more safety margin.

The additional strength added by closing the loop seems to have made a lot of difference and the cleats survived a few bounces without any sign of damage.

Actually, on the first bounce, I ended up sprawled on the ground. I had made the profile with a nice sharp edge, like on a knife and that nice sharp edge sliced straight through the paracord that I was using. I quickly rounded all the edges with some emery cloth and ended up with what you see above. It's not pretty, but it still bites and grips well.

Images
    the one he made, and the one i modified from a fig. nine are a bit lighter than a regular nine. 2 reg nines weigh just over 2 oz., and two of these weigh between 1/2 and 3/4 of an oz.

the nine also has damaging teeth(which can easily be removed though)

as you will soon find out, many here who just enjoy making things themselves.

i plan to make a similar device, using nothing more than a vice, a hacksaw, a drill, and a file. no machine shop needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Why make your own device when there is one that is cheap, very strong and very light (almost as light as what you have made) and is readily available?

But then what about those of us that don't have a machine shop or the skills to use one.

This is my first day on the forums, so if I sound behind the times, well I am, but trying to catch up.

Talking

As my esteemed friend said, the existing product didn't work very well. It either cut your line, or bent, trapping your line in a permanent vice grip, or it snapped into two or more pieces.

Plus my ones weigh much less.

Plus my ones were free.

Plus I didn't have to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive in the post.

What you should be asking us is why we spend time and money making or buying something instead of learning to tie a proper hitch.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, there.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i plan to make a similar device, using nothing more than a vice, a hacksaw, a drill, and a file. no machine shop needed.
    I wouldn't. Mine are going in the bin. Even with a lot of rounding, after a bit of bouncing, it started to damage my lines.

I have a much better idea...

As TiredFeet implied, why make when you can buy better:

Sometimes the best solution has already been found in parallel applications, so I turned to a rock climbing instructor. He showed me a separate pulley and aluminium v-cleat king of similar to the Figure9. The problem was that rock climbers don't hang 4 feet above soft turf on 2-4mm spectra line, they hang 100 feet above jagged rocks on 8-11mm spectra line, so none of my lines would work with his rigging.

So who uses 2-4mm line and knows how to rig? Sailors do. I went to a yachting supplier and came away with a nylon v-cleat (9g) and a 16mm ball race block (12g). Both are rated to 1,000kg (a ton), similar to the 4mm spectra line on my HH. Unfortunately, the v-cleat is designed to be fixed to a surface, so I just needed to work out how to set it up.

This is how I did it.

I only use this setup on one side of the hammock.

The advantage to this system is that I can exert a lot of tension and quickly and securely lock it down while maintaining tension. This means I can mount the lines lower on the tree and lie flatter.

The downside is that I spent USD20 on the components.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    I have to agree with warbonnetguy.... ALL the fun is in tinkering with ideas and making ones own stuff. I have been following this thread and think I will get some aluminum plate and try to fashion a nine system. I also am in favor of far less of the strap and more of the lightweight small diameter climbing ropes for hanging from. My wife shakes her sweet head and comments that perhaps I am an excessive compulsive when it comes to projects that interest me, and it is hard to argue that I am not. So off to sew a Sgt Rock poncho/tarp ( yes the fabric is from Wal Mart ) then off to a local boat building shop for some aluminum plate. Thanks for all the ideas. The thought comes to mind " If we don't hang together, they will hang us seperately."

Amazing what you can do
    When you don't know how

Green Therapy

I had a lot of fun this weekend.

This is a strap with a ribbed Santoprene rubber backing.

I really must buy a sewing machine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast