Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Loopy

Getting Loopy

Hi y'all,

Never hammock camped before, but I've got a couple Skeeter Beeter Pros ordered. After lots of reading here and YouTube viewing, I've decided that I want to use whoopie slings, so I've just received a bunch of Amsteel line to make the whoopies and new continuous loops.

I could swear I'd seen recommendations for continuous loop lengths for replacing the stock loops in a gathered-end hammock, but I can't find that info now, and I'm getting loopy looking for it!

I'd like to make my loops (and slings) while I'm waiting on the hammocks, but I don't have anything to compare to.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Lee
    Last edited by dobro; 04-19-2013 at 21:12.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook

Getting Loopy

I made a video all about it. I also have one for making whoopie slings. Here ya go:

http://youtu.be/xcoKeXAwBZY

Hey Brewguy...

Yes, your videos are extremely helpful - especially how you explain the length calculations - I made up a couple of loops for practice and they ended up exactly the length expected.

The only problem I have right now is knowing what length I should make for the hammocks I've ordered, but haven't received yet.

For instance, at whoopieslings.com, they sell 12" loops. Dutchware has them in 6" and 15" (the latter for Hennessey).

Since I don't have my hammocks yet, I don't know what size to make my loops - I made an 8" and a 9" loop, and the 9" loop seems like it would be a bit short - I can't imagine a 6-incher being long enough. For the Skeeter Beeters I've ordered, what would be an appropriate length?

FWIW, I'm planning on going continuous loop > whoopie > carabiner > tree hugger. Will initially lark's head from loop to whoopie, but may change to Dutchware whoopie hooks.

I may just end up with 12" loops I suppose - they should be long enough without being too long I reckon...or I could just wait until the hammock arrives...but I've got a big pile of Amsteel, and it's the weekend!

Thanks!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook

Getting Loopy

Well I've found 8" to be a good size for sewn channel hammocks. If the Skeeter Beeter is the same as my Nano 7 then that should be a good size. I don't know the Hennesys well enough to know why they need the bigger 15" loops, but for all the others I've seen 8" is enough. You could always make em 12" just to be safe, but that means you will have a wider minimum distance to hang. Not a big deal though.

Thanks again Brewguy...as it turns out, it's 10:30 on Sunday night and I haven't had time to work on them any this weekend anyway, so I may just wait to see if the hammocks show up tomorrow, and make sure about the length I need.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've fit loops smaller than 6 inches on an ENO Double nest before. If when you first put the loops through the end channels it seems that they are not long enough, you'll get more length once you load the hammock and the loop gets pulled tight. The length of loop is only an issue if you want your minimum suspension length to be as short as as possible. If you are not fussed about a few inches, then 6" or 8" or longer shouldn't be a problem.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    Would there be any benefit to splicing the fixed loop (permanently attached) directly into the end channel? I'm guessing there could be (minor) weight savings and maybe easing some of the stress on the hammock material. Those are big guesses, however...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronist View Post
    Would there be any benefit to splicing the fixed loop (permanently attached) directly into the end channel? I'm guessing there could be (minor) weight savings and maybe easing some of the stress on the hammock material. Those are big guesses, however...
    There wouldn't be any weight saving between larksheading the fixed loop of the sling and splicing the end channel into the loop. If anything, the latter would require a bigger loop to accomodate the hammock material therefore more amsteel used. With larkheading, the fixed loop can be as small as you want as long as you can fit the other end of the whoopie sling through it.

I think loose cordage in the end channel actually can cause more stress on the fabric. What I like about larksheading the fixed loop of the whoopie sling vs permanently having the end channel in the fixed loop is the material gets compressed with the larkshead. I've never like the idea of the end channels being able to move against the amsteel in a sawing fashion when getting in and out of the hammock. Any potential long term damage from friction is probably not an issue but when a larksheaded loop is tight around the end channel material, it is so bunched up that there is no movement and if there was any it is against less material. Does that make any sense? I'm probably paranoid but that's how I feel about it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    Haha, I didn't mean any weight savings between two methods of using the same whoopie sling. I was thinking more along the lines of not having to use a continuous loop or even eliminating the need for whoopie hooks or similar.

I do see your point about the larks head vs just a loose open loop. I'd buy that explanation...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronist View Post
    Haha, I didn't mean any weight savings between two methods of using the same whoopie sling. I was thinking more along the lines of not having to use a continuous loop or even eliminating the need for whoopie hooks or similar.

I do see your point about the larks head vs just a loose open loop. I'd buy that explanation...
    Lol. I'm sorry I misunderstood. There are some gram weenies out there that would consider it a weight savings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast