Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    The tree ties are above my head. The ridgeline is at my eye level, about 5 foot 4 inches above ground. I tie this so tight frankly it was hard to get in the HH, and it stretched down to the ground. I am now thinking it is the webbing, I frankly hadnt thought about the nylon.

Images
    If it was me, I'd try two things... 1) change the ridgeline to something that you KNOW won't stretch. (like spectra/spyderline) This is so you can pre-tension things tighter.

2) Hang the tree ties a little lower, and pre-tension the webbing a bunch more. That shouldn't make the hammock higher, but should help limit the stretch some, but not make it harder to get into the hammock.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    If it was me, I'd try two things... 1) change the ridgeline to something that you KNOW won't stretch. (like spectra/spyderline) This is so you can pre-tension things tighter.

2) Hang the tree ties a little lower, and pre-tension the webbing a bunch more. That shouldn't make the hammock higher, but should help limit the stretch some, but not make it harder to get into the hammock.
    His stretch problem doesn't seem to be from the ridgeline, but from the suspension itself being nylon. Replacing it with some polyester should solve the problem I believe.

In the other thread where Lorethian asked about materials, I linked to polyester webbing, but didn't mention it specifically...I guess I should have been more clear.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    ROFL, the guy that allways steps up and helps me is blaming himself. What a great group. Actually you did point to a company that sells poly webing, but I needed to get to a minium purchase to get the buckles so I ordered from the same company. My fault there.

Images
    I know it wasn't talked about directly... Just had a thought that might be making things worse since he was saying it was both tight and hard to get into...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    I know it wasn't talked about directly... Just had a thought that might be making things worse since he was saying it was both tight and hard to get into...
    I missed the part about 'hard to get into'. It may be a combination of 2 problems in that case.

But, I would still eliminate one thing at a time. First, get some webbing that won't stretch. Then, if you have problems with 'getting in' or the ridgeline being too low (sign of it stretching) then you can replace it with something less dynamic.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    1" polyester camo webbing from www.owfinc is rated to 2000#, is very light, and is very stretch resistasnt. it's cheap too, and no min. order. i would go ahead and add a stretch free ridge as well. a stretchy ridge will elongate the hammock too much and cause long wrinkles/distortion of the netting (running end to end) this is because the netting is being stretched too much lengthwise. i like my netting taut, others may not care. a few extra inches of stretch on the ridgeline is enough to mess with the netting, but only equates to a tiny bit less hammok sag, which would most likely be unnoticeable as far as the lay goes.

www.apsltd.com is a good place to get line, look under high tech single braids. 2mm spectra or vectran would be plenty big, maybe even a bit of over kill.

good luck, Brandon
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-05-2007 at 17:43.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12