Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A nice read, piqued my interest, sounds really good. Pictures aren't there.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I really like how you solved so many of the problems that come with typical bridges! It’s lightweight. It’s easier to setup with the symmetrical shape. It has a ridgeline. It can be used in chair mode. Less shoulder squeeze, more foot room. I love it.
    Hey, thanks, Randy.

So do you like to lay with your head opposite the netted end when you don’t plan on using it?
    No, actually. I keep my head at the "head end" with the net in case things change and I need to deploy it quickly, which can be done while you're still in the hammock. If you roll it well, the triangular panel at the very end of the bug net keeps the stowed-away mesh well ensconced, and you just fasten the mitten hook (that connects the net to the RL) to the retention loop at the bottom of the head end cap. Everything stays well in place, out of side and mind while you're lying down, even for a taller hanger like myself.

Suggestions:
    Use internally spliced shock cord for the ridgeline so it’s more structural. Or do it like Jeff Myers demonstrated.
    https://youtu.be/dVVpA_AJb5M
    https://youtu.be/RQCqE4HiL40
    LOL great idea. I had thought of that (or something similar) after seeing the video where Dutch makes tarp tensioners with spliced-in shock cord, so I might do that in the future. When I built the prototype (and previously when I used the SARL on the Rope Bridge) I wasn't sure of the correct legth of shock cord to use for the desired amount of adjustability, free versus spliced inside the Dyneema core. I do like the strength that two strands of 1/8" shock cord afford, so I don't know first hand if I can get two strands inside the skinny little Lash-It.

Make the hammock fabric double layer by the head end, so that the netting could be stored between the two layers. This should also provide you with a nice storage pocket for lots of other items when the net is deployed.
    LOL I thought about that too, since the end cap storage pockets are one of the hallmark features on my Rope Bridge. (I love the functionality...) I had deleted them on the String Theory prototype in favor of lighter weight and simplicity, but I may add them back (at least at the head end for the bug net, as you suggest) on future ST builds. I had also considered just creating a congruent later of mesh on the bug net triangular end panel that just flips over the apex to form its own net pocket and secures to the retention loop on the body the same way it does right now.

Add extra padding in the middle of the arc on one side for a more comfortable for chair mode. Then add a saddle bag on the opposite side that can be flipped inward, which could serve as a pillow pocket to hold your pillow in the perfect spot. Since your arcs are centered, this should work out well. You’d have yourself a hammock that excels in chair mode!
    These are both interesting ideas worth exploring. Thanks for the tips.

Use carbon fiber spreader poles to match the lightweight design of the body.
    When I use my Ruta Locura carbon fiber poles ($96), this integrated-net bridge hammock drops about a quarter of a pound becomes a sub-one-pound system at just a hair under 16 ounces, about the same weight as a minimalist netted gathered-end hammock like the DH Darien, so that's pretty good. Those poles are expensive enough to make them a specialty item, though, so I presented the specs here with tried-and-true Dutchware spreaders that cost 75% less and still create an attractive package overall. Enterprising DIYers might also find a way to use hiking poles with this design.

Are you going to sell your older bridges?
    The original Web Slinger went to a fellow HF member months ago, but I may be selling one of my older bridges here in the For Sale forum in the near future, to make room for a new build as I continue to experiment and refine.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Sounds like an awesome hammock. Wish I could see the pictures.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    A nice read, piqued my interest, sounds really good. Pictures aren't there.
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    Sounds like an awesome hammock. Wish I could see the pictures.
    Thanks... I don't know why the photos don't work for some members, since they are uploaded and hosted here locally on the Hammock Forums server, but I've posted a question in the Site Questions forum asking for help. They are showing up fine for me and for some others, but maybe the staff will shed some light.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Thanks... I don't know why the photos don't work for some members, since they are uploaded and hosted here locally on the Hammock Forums server, but I've posted a question in the Site Questions forum asking for help. They are showing up fine for me and for some others, but maybe the staff will shed some light.
    I wonder if only "donating members" can see them. Did they get uploaded somehow to a section of the site that would cause such a thing?

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I wonder if only "donating members" can see them. Did they get uploaded somehow to a section of the site that would cause such a thing?
    Just confirmed that was the case. After making my donation, I'm able to see the pictures.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I also can't see the photos. Same thing with your to go to ground tarp thread. Could be a donating member thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    ...Could be a donating member thing.
    Perhaps that is the key...

Photo links have been changed.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-16-2018 at 22:01.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I love this. Any chance you'd be willing to share your pattern? I've been kicking around the idea of DIYing a bridge hammock this summer. First thought was an Ariel, but I like the looks of this one as well.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Perhaps that is the key...

Photo links have been changed.
    Yep, works now. I suppose its time I become a donating member anyway.

Nice work as usual! I always dig the creativity and ingenuity displayed in your posts. Not to mention the level of detail you include. You're killin' it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast