Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    My single layer 1.0 was great for the 1/2 a year I was using it. Never noticed any wear/tear. I did eventually switch out to 1.6, mostly because I wanted something with less stretch.

I have been considering hexon 1.0 for a single layer hammock but will not go for that now. Although my hiking set ups are light (I have been into ultra light gear and camping for years, but I'm new to hammocks), I prefer to have something that I don't have to be delicate with. Thanks for your thread!

I am a bit leery of most of the hammock fabrics, so I try to treat them all as if they are very delicate. In 5 years of every night hammock sleeping, and fabrics of 1.1 to way heavy, I have never yet had a problem. I do not yet have a hexon 1.6, but plan to.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Out of all the fabrics I have had the pleasure to use, I have found the Hexon 1.6 to be my favorite. It offers the nicest feel, firmness and durability. HyperD 1.6 is a close second, but it feels more "plastic" than the Hexon. In my opinion the weight savings from a 1.0 to 1.6 isn't worth the stress. Instead I shortened my tree straps from 15' to 10' and switched to titanium hardware to offset the difference in weight.

[QUOTE=arcana73;1825615]Out of all the fabrics I have had the pleasure to use, I have found the Hexon 1.6 to be my favorite. It offers the nicest feel, firmness and durability. HyperD 1.6 is a close second, but it feels more "plastic" than the Hexon..../QUOTE]

That's awesome Aracna73 - I was feeling towards it and now I will definately go with the hexon 1.6. Cheers brother!

[QUOTE=Newjack;1827001]
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    Out of all the fabrics I have had the pleasure to use, I have found the Hexon 1.6 to be my favorite. It offers the nicest feel, firmness and durability. HyperD 1.6 is a close second, but it feels more "plastic" than the Hexon..../QUOTE]

That's awesome Aracna73 - I was feeling towards it and now I will definately go with the hexon 1.6. Cheers brother!
    I thorully agree
    I’ve built 2 hammocks made from dutches hexon 1.6 and have the chameleon which started my love for it lol
    I ordered 2 yards of 1.0 for lighter stuff sacks and I still prefer the feel of 1 .6

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    My 1.0oz double layer is holding up fine, but I haven't used it a lot so far.

In my opinion, ALL 1.0oz and 1.1oz fabrics are pretty delicate and need to be treated with care. I managed to get a couple of holes into a simple 1.1oz fabric while hemming it. I don't know how it happened, it must have snagged somewhere. The 1.0oz HyperD fabric kept attaching itself to a rough patch of skin on my fingers while I was sewing, and I even managed to pull some tiny threads. The 1.0oz Robic also gave the impression that it likes to be handled with care. The 1.0oz Hexon was one of the more robust 1.0oz/1.1oz fabrics I have worked with so far.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that you can use your 1.0oz single layer hammock the same way as your 1.6oz single layer hammock for long. Yes, some people do and so far their hammocks are holding up. But they're taking a risk. I wouldn't use a 1.0oz single layer hammock when failure would be very inconvenient or spoil my trip.
    Hexon 1_0 Hole.jpg
    I remember thinking this post couldn't possibly affect me. My reputation of taking care of equipment is pretty solid. Prior trail experience with this material has been positive; it was an excellent hammock. Even believe the brilliant blue color of the Hexon 1.0 looks stellar.

My setup practice occurs at a local park in the neighborhood. That's when a little tree snag changed perspective. The ability to provide the care that Hexon 1.0 requires fell short, and I am reluctantly going back to the 1.6 material for an upcoming hike. When hiking till dark, don't want to be worrying about renegade tree snags.

The plan is to tenacious tape the 1.0 hole and use the 1.0 hammock on 2-3 nighters where going to the ground would not be inconvenient.

It looks like a lot of hangers out there have experienced zero problems with the 1.0 material. I applaud them. Unfortunately, I fell short.
    Last edited by Recalc; 09-04-2019 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I've had my 1.0 hexon Trail Lair for SLD since about December but didn't really start using it until bug season in May. At least 30 nights in it since and no signs of wear. You do have to be careful of sharp objects. My older one made out of 1.6 nylon got a small tear in it due to user error: my watch came unhooked from my ridgeline and rolled over on the clasp, pushing it right through the fabric. Watchband is now gone and I just use a piece of shockcord to hang it.
    Update: as of September 2019, this same hammock has over 100 nights in it and still looks like brand new. No visible wear, tears or snags.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123