Hennessey Explorer Zip Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    T-Rest Z-Rest
    Suspension
    HH

Z-Lite pads ???

I screwed up and posted this in Top Insulation section.

Here it goes.

I have been lurking here for sometime and reading a bit here and there. The whole bottom quilt/BC protector thing has conjured up some ideas. I have a HH Explorer ASYM Deluxe for the 300 lb load rating and I also had them include the Hex fly. The bonus is that it came with the standard fly too. My first real outing with this was a 12 mile overniter with my sons BS troop. It got down to low 30's upper 20's overnight. At the coolest part of the night my feet got a little cold. I was using nothing more than my North Face Cat's Meow bag and a ThermaRest Z-lite pad under me. The Z-lite was the regular length and has a foil coating on one side. If I stayed on the pad it was great, if I was off of the pad I got cool. As would be expected.

In my infinite wisdom I decided to purchase another pad just like the one I have and fabricate the original fly into an undercover for the two pads to rest in. My thinking is the two pads interlocked (due to their egg crate type form) would give me side to side comfort as well as the protection from the cool air under the hammock.

Anyone else ever try such a system?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Never tried it but it sounds reasonable. So you're planning to take basically a pair of 20" wide pads and overlap them to make let's say a 30" wide pad if I'm reading this right. From a warmth standpoint it should work well. Just be prepared for the edges to kind of bunch and buckle up quite a bit.

It might be a little tricky getting into position but you should be pretty comfortable. It would probably be a little easier to get inside with a zip model but should still be doable.

If you're talking about having the pads sit inside the undercover you're making from the tarp I think you'll have problems. Trying to get the UC suspension tight enough to really hold those pads against the bottom of the hammock is quite a challenge. You can still install the UC though and it will create more insulation on the bottom. Since you will already be laying on the pads (basically a vapor barrier) you shouldn't have condensation problems inside the cover like you would with a quilt.

Like all great ideas....best to try them out in the back yard first before heading out. Good luck....;-)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    An SPE will hold pad/pads and the wings provide shoulder and thigh warmth and keep the pads under you. Google Eno HotSpot...they sell one.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Shug's pics will help with my original suggestion.

My post from your original thread:

You probably don't want to cut up your Z-lite but if you can sew you can make a what's called a segmented pad extender (SPE) and use some cheap CCF for the "wings". You slide your pad in the SPE and the wings that have the cut up foam in them wrap around you. It may be warmer than two full length pads. I would think two pads together would work to an extent but the nature of the material may create air gaps and you may not be able to suspend it well enough to get its insulation value. I could be way off so give it a try and tell us how it works out.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Zip Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    T-Rest Z-Rest
    Suspension
    HH
    I am "switched on baby" to the above picture of the "pad glove". You know what they say "no glove, no way to keep your pad in place."

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    xenon sil diy
    Insulation
    pad n' mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopies n' webbin
    just picked up a zlite for a trip this coming weekend its gonna have to do until I can come up with some cheese for an underquilt

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    xenon sil diy
    Insulation
    pad n' mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopies n' webbin
    update z lite is no good for my diy hammock hammock isnt wide enough for my z lite and I couldnt get a good lay

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY also
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    slap straps pro
    Images
    I spent Sunday afternoon napping in 30 degree temps on my ENO DN. I used a Zlite as a pad, my Mountain Hardwear Flip 35/50 bag and a cocoon Aircore pillow. I also had my ENO tarp up to divert the wind, and I was very warm. I did have the sun hitting the tarp directly so I am sure there was some residual heat involved, but all it was very comfortable.

The problem is, like most pads, is the slippage. I didn't have the opportunity, but I have been told that putting the pad in the bad itself will help with that?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've often wondered the same thing...

If I trim a CCF pad to fit my mummy bag, wouldn't it work just as well in the sleeping bag with me?

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by gagodfrey View Post
    I've often wondered the same thing...

If I trim a CCF pad to fit my mummy bag, wouldn't it work just as well in the sleeping bag with me?
    It's good until the uncompressed portion of the sleeping bag around your shoulder and hips against the hammock makes you do the old shoulder to shoulder ping-pong match all night long fighting the cold spots. rolling from side to side as the chill bites in is no fun. Width of the insulation is the key when working with pads.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast