Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Thanks for being the front man of the hammock camping movement, Rev. I've heard nothing but mostly good things about you and look forward to hanging with you sometime. This thread has been a great read. Education first!
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I've heard nothing but mostly good things about you...
    Lies. ALL lies.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    I just want to make some things clear here: this was NOT to be the start of a hammock revolution or a "call to arms". My sole intent was to get a clear and defined sense of what the rules were state by state and if I (meaning me) found a park willing to learn about hammocks as a new "camping unit" then I would answer what I could to the best of my ability. I know a lot of people are concerned about backlash and I thought hard about this (actually, this is almost a year in the making) before I started. It moved quickly once sent into motion, but I am very happy to see that mostly there is positive feelings toward our hobby. As of right now, I am still missing a few replies that can be chalked up to my email getting lost in the spam box or people being AFK, so the list isn't complete.

Second: I did NOT do this to be used as a tool to argue the point. No one should ever use anything posted here, or anywhere on this forum, as a tool to argue if someone in a facility denies you use of your hammock. At best, the info here could be used as a discussion point, but never to argue ("But So-&-So says its ok...SEE!!!)

Lastly, and this is something that I want to express to everyone here, new and old. We hammock hangers are a representation of a community, a special sort of group, but NOT a representation of a website (we speak for ourselves, not HF or anyone else). Whenever I breach the subject, I do with the sole intent of gathering information (can I camp here with this method?) for myself unless I state otherwise. I reached out for this info based on the fact that I was going to share it with a hammock community, and not FOR this website or any else. This is here to better inform anyone that finds this thread.

I encourage everyone to be a beacon for the hammock community, be it your local group or just your family and friends. This website is a great place to talk, but isn't going to change anything: YOU are. Be the best camper you can and a steward for the hobby no matter where you are.

See you in the trees!
    Last edited by default; 04-07-2013 at 00:21.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    I just want to make some things clear here: this was NOT to be the start of a hammock revolution or a "call to arms". My sole intent was to get a clear and defined sense of what the rules were state by state and if I (meaning me) found a park willing to learn about hammocks as a new "camping unit" then I would answer what I could to the best of my ability. I know a lot of people are concerned about backlash and I thought hard about this (actually, this is almost a year in the making) before I started. It moved quickly once sent into motion, but I am very happy to see that mostly there is positive feelings toward our hobby. As of right now, I am still missing a few replies that can be chalked up to my email getting lost in the spam box or people being AFK, so the list isn't complete.

Second: I did NOT do this to be used as a tool to argue the point. No one should ever use anything posted here, or anywhere on this forum, as a tool to argue if someone in a facility denies you use of your hammock. At best, the info here could be used as a discussion point, but never to argue ("But So-&-So says its ok...SEE!!!)

Lastly, and this is something that I want to express to everyone here, new and old. We hammock hangers are a representation of a community, a special sort of group, but NOT a representation of a website (we speak for ourselves, not HF or anyone else). Whenever I breach the subject, I do with the sole intent of gathering information (can I camp here with this method?) for myself unless I state otherwise. I reached out for this info based on the fact that I was going to share it with a hammock community, and not FOR this website or any else. This is here to better inform anyone that finds this thread.

I encourage everyone to be a beacon for the hammock community, be it your local group or just your family and friends. This website is a great place to talk, but isn't going to change anything: YOU are. Be the best camper you can and a steward for the hobby no matter where you are.

See you in the trees!
    Agreed. This is about education. I happy in a hammock or just under a tarp, but having the acceptance of the state parks surely would be beneficial. Thanks for the clarification.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WB Traveler w/ DIY Bug net
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    WB Straps, Dclips
    [B]
    The problem is that most of our state parks could not accommodate this need. Most campers here use a cot or a camping pad. Thanks for your interest in Montana State Parks.

Deb McRae

Administrative Assistant

Montana State Parks
    That hasn't been my experience, but it's nice to know they don't have a problem with hammocks.

Huge thanks for all your efforts Rev!
    Last edited by RollinJoe; 04-07-2013 at 23:38.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Lies. ALL lies.
    You beat me to it gresh.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    This email shows a lot of progress!!!! The best sentence is in italics

Georgia

Currently we do not have a specific hammock policy. Use of hammocks on trees at campsites is subjective and we are unable to say across the board where hammocks can and can't be used. It depends on the individual parks and their campsites.

To be suitable, the trees would need to be within the campsite area and not away in the woods or too close to a neighboring campsite. There are so many variables regarding using trees. We assume most hammocks using straps are non-damaging to trees. Hooks screwed or nailed into trees is prohibited. Free standing hammocks are allowed at any campsite.

Chattahoochee Bend is one of our parks that has platform campsites with hammock hangers. Also, sites with hammock hangers are in development at Tugaloo State Park.

It is advised to call an individual park before making a reservation for any type campsite that the intent is to use a hammock. Thanks,

Reservation Administration Office
    Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites
    (770) 389-7401

Images

Re: The 50 State Project: US State Parks & Hammocks

Know exactly what u mean. 30 years of programming , my mantra was backup, u silly man.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    I have received an answer to your inquiry concerning the use of a hammock in State Parks. I am going to place the response, that was sent to me, below. Once again, please let me know if you need further assistance.
    "We do not have anything in our rules and regulations that would prevent hammock camping in our campgrounds. The only requirements would be that the campsite have trees within the rented space to accommodate the activity so they would not encroach onto another site, and that they not damage the trees by using too narrow of a strap."

Thank You:

Joe Carr
    Tennessee State Parks
    401 Church St., 7th Floor
    Nashville, TN 37243
    (615) 532-0756 Office
    (615) 532-0732 Fax
    [email protected]

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    This email shows a lot of progress!!!! The best sentence is in italics

Georgia

Chattahoochee Bend is one of our parks that has platform campsites with hammock hangers. Also, sites with hammock hangers are in development at Tugaloo State Park.

Great to know...Chattahoochee Bend is about 15 miles from us and I was planning to take my youngest daughter there for her first overnight backpack trip in about 3 weeks. Great place to get a kid started BTW, fairly flat, easy 5-mile river trail in to the primitive campsites. Now hoping for good weather...

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast