Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Thanks for your perspective Pat! Judging from some of the PMs and emails I've received, I really do need to take a harder look at their tarps; they have quite the loyal following!
    Cannibal,

One thing I have noted about the Clark vs other tarps (not to beat a dead horse) is the 'self centering' aspect of using them. I hang the tarp first, then I clip on the hammock and it's automatically centered where it should hang. It then just place the main suspension where it just holds the netting up neatly and tighten it slightly from that. With 3rd party tarps I have to center it up more carefully since they don't clip on (of course I made some adjustable lines to deal with that) and the smaller the tarp is the more critical that adjustment and centering gets.

Now I did make my own lines for each tarp that can adjust so I can lower or raise the tarp height with weather and that would be a simple thing to do if needed with any tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks guys!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    One thing I have noted about the Clark vs other tarps (not beat a dead horse) is the 'self centering' aspect of using them. I hang the tarp first, then I clip on the hammock and it's automatically centered where it should hang. It then just place the main suspension where it just holds the netting up neatly and tighten it slightly from that. With 3rd party tarps I have to center it up more carefully since they don't clip on (of course I made some adjustable lines to deal with that) and the smaller the tarp is the more critical that adjustment and centering gets.
    That's a good point. I know a lot of people have problems with getting the tarp just right the first few times. The Clark tarps would eliminate that issue.
    I am amazed with the fans of the Clark tarps. All the communication I've received about this review has been focused on the tarps. Just amusing to me. Must be pretty good tarps!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Judging from some of the PMs and emails I've received, I really do need to take a harder look at their tarps; they have quite the loyal following!
    Oops did we start something. Well I know you will give them good information on this. Glad to see others are looking for some other perspectives than just those who own the Clarks. That was my intent is to have someone who has used a lot of different brands and is loyal to one brand as much as I am to the Clarks to give there perspective of them. It looks like it worked and if it did that Cannibal it has worked.

I think you gave a very unbiased report of something that you had no real understanding of and like I said good or bad I think it was needed and the way you laid it out was top notch.

cavediver2

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Cannibal, I have a spare Clark tarp if you want to borrow one to take a hard look. I like the Clark tarp, and the Clark system in general.

Once you have been spoiled with the lay of a BB, it is hard to get used to the closeness of the Clark again, but it is a great, complete system that I have no intention of ever selling. I even put pockets on the bottom of my winter sock to mimic those awesome pockets on the Clark.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    That's a good point. I know a lot of people have problems with getting the tarp just right the first few times. The Clark tarps would eliminate that issue.
    I am amazed with the fans of the Clark tarps. All the communication I've received about this review has been focused on the tarps. Just amusing to me. Must be pretty good tarps!

interesting

Is it people defending the tarp or what? I like that tarp myself but if you ask me the one that I have from Brandon ( warbonnett Guy ) is absolutely the mashizel it's one of those things like the Clark that goes with me all the time weather I use it or not.

cavediver2

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think we did start something! Always surprises me that the thing I view as least important/germane to the discussion is what ends up being the point of interest. Strange world in which we live.

Finn, I'd love to take you up on that offer at some point. However, the coming months are a little crazy for me. I've got 3 meetups (hangs) on the books this month, CT thru next month (which I still have to get ready for), and August will be a return to work after 3 weeks off; that should just be loads of fun.

I might be bugging you about trying it out in the fall if you're still open to it then.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    CT thru next month (which I still have to get ready for)
    You could thru with a goat or lama and pack that big HEAVY Vertex. and let the goat sleep with you

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I wouldn't call it 'defending', more like explaining to me all the good stuff I missed out on by not giving it a fair shake. None have been remotely hostile or confrontational and a couple have been from members I don't know; you guys really ought to post!

I suspect that like anything else, when someone figures out how to use one thing very well, they tend to stop looking at other options. With the Clarks being the 'complete system' that that they are, I can see how someone would figure out the tarps and not have a need to look at other tarps. Not all of us are complete gear junkies. There are some folks on this site that actually live a responsible life and don't collect piles of gear; not for me!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    You could thru with a goat or lama and pack that big HEAVY Vertex. and let the goat sleep with you
    I would need written permission from Genuine Draft to sleep with anything, goats included.

There are a few places out here where you can rent llamas for hiking. I keep thinking about trying it just for fun. The rental rates are pretty reasonable and you get a half day of 'training' to deal with the animals. They carry their own food, plus most of what I would carry in a pack. Problem is, they are on their own schedule on the trail. They don't care how far is still left to go before they get to camp because they are much less picky where they bed down for the night. I could see that experience being a running fight and me coming home with teeth marks all over my arms and legs. Then I'd have to explain THAT to Genuine Draft!

Not worth it.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast