Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    "Lacking" might be a better word than "simplistic". I agree with him on his points, but it does boil down to the individual. The Hennessys are perfectly good hammocks, not great, but good. There have been at least two polls asking what hammock folks started with and what are they using now; HHs get high marks for the "first hammock" so that backs-up the starter-beginner-newbie claim.

It's a solid hammock system that will work and is responsible for an awfully lot of us getting into the whole 'hanging' thing. It does lack it a lot of areas when compared to some other hammocks; most notably the lack of a zipper. But, they are even moving towards addressing that issue with their Deep Jungle and Deep Winter rigs. In a few more years, Hennessy Hammocks may get back a glimmer of their former fame if they keep on keeping up with what else is going on in this wonderful world of hammocks.

Still, much more often than not, this Cannibal can be found in his Warbonnets while his friends are sleeping in his Hennessy Hammocks.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You have a way with words, Doug!
    That's nice to hear from a man that says much, but talks little.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I meant no antagonism and it prompted me thinking... what do we mean when we talk about a newbie hammock. Obviously for me... the HH is no such thing being the hammock that best suits my needs over the long haul. Nor do I disparage the Blackbird, but for me... it is not likely to be a realistic option. Hence the thread I started just a little while ago. What constitutes an entry level or newbie hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I meant no antagonism and it prompted me thinking... what do we mean when we talk about a newbie hammock. Obviously for me... the HH is no such thing being the hammock that best suits my needs over the long haul. Nor do I disparage the Blackbird, but for me... it is not likely to be a realistic option. Hence the thread I started just a little while ago. What constitutes an entry level or newbie hammock.
    Good idea on the new thread, should be some interesting posts.

Sorry if I sounded antagonistic in my reply, it wasn't intended. There are a whole bunch of folks that agree with you and use it as their primary, and favorite, hammock. I just don't happen to be one of them...anymore.

However, like you, I'll usually defend them against negative posts that attack needlessly. They do deserve to be given a fair shake, but I also believe that most people will eventually decide to "upgrade" based on their needs. I think that's all IhangnBankhead was trying to say; just didn't do it in the best way.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    the reason i was/am looking at the HH line is because im on a budget. right now i have an eno double nest but it will cost me more to outfit it with a bugnet and a tarp than to just get a HH I may add some form of under insulation at a later date but for now i am just camping with a hammock during the summer so staying warm shouldn't be too big of a problem. so is is worth it to pay more and get a BB plus a tarp or am i better off just getting a HH by the way in case you couldnt tell i am a complete hanging noob. so be gentle

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Before you chuck out what you have check the Build a Hammock Setup thread. You may find combinations of items that will allow you to keep your Eno and still come in at less than pulling the trigger on a whole new set up.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taz137 View Post
    the reason i was/am looking at the HH line is because im on a budget. right now i have an eno double nest but it will cost me more to outfit it with a bugnet and a tarp than to just get a HH I may add some form of under insulation at a later date but for now i am just camping with a hammock during the summer so staying warm shouldn't be too big of a problem. so is is worth it to pay more and get a BB plus a tarp or am i better off just getting a HH by the way in case you couldnt tell i am a complete hanging noob. so be gentle
    In my opinion, yes. It is worth it to get the BB and a tarp.
    But I am biased, I really like the Blackbirds. Others will tell you the opposite; although not many. If you're already going to be spending hard earned money, you might as well spend a little more and get the best (IMO) out there right now. I have yet to hear of any buyer's remorse after the purchase and use of a Blackbird.

Tell me again why you aren't happy with the ENO? I actually really like my hammocks of that style. Bet you can trick it out to be great!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    taz137, I'm sorry about my bitterness on the HH, But like I said! Ive been reading about hammock's on this forum. Back to your question? I think bigger is better! so get the Explorer. My wife has convince me that if I buy what I want the first time that I would save money! She's Right! Choose wisely and don't end up with a closet full of hammocks!You can buy a used one on this forum!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I agree with Cannibal upthread- what are your issues with the eno, maybe you can work it out so you're happy with it instead of spending more and more (because hammocking can be spendy.)

There are 3 big items that you can go cheap on or spend more on. You can have a DIY hammock (mine cost about 30AUD (that's about 15-20USD depending on the currency markets) a DIY tarp (mine's ugly and a tad heavy, but it works, cost about 20AUD all up) and use your pad and sleeping bag for insulation. (Free, if you've already got them.) (I chose to spend money on some really nice quilts from JRB. )

Of course you can go the whole hog and pay upwards of 600$ (USD) for a dream set up, but that's unrealistic for some people. Or you can go "el cheapo" and get away with not spending much at all. It's nice to have some luxuries though.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    This relates to the thread title. My Dad always told me there were no stupid questions. Only stupid mistakes. Way to ask the question. Could prevent a lot of error.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast