HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    I actually had an email conversation with Tom & Anne about adding zippers to their hammocks in December of 2007. The answer I got (very bluntly) from him was, "we are not interested in doing/adding anything to our hammocks that doesn't save our customers weight or money". Seems this has done a complete 180 over the last 2 years.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    I actually had an email conversation with Tom & Anne about adding zippers to their hammocks in December of 2007. The answer I got (very bluntly) from him was, "we are not interested in doing/adding anything to our hammocks that doesn't save our customers weight or money". Seems this has done a complete 180 over the last 2 years.
    I had similar responses a couple of years back. I understand his desire to keep the weight and cost down ( my HHULEXP, while being a good sized net hammock, it is still one of my lightest hammocks, even including the stock tarp).

But I was always a bit surprised that he did not at least offer these items ( zippers, dbl layers) as options for his customers who were willing to take on the extra cost, weight and parts that could break. I suppose it might also have been a desire to use the KISS principle on his manufacturing end also.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I understand his desire to keep the weight and cost down ...
    Offering zippers on existing models would double his inventory costs if he kept a zipper-less version in the product line. Plus since he sells through retailers he needs to amke sure they're inetrested in the modified line or risk losing that distribution channel. So there are other reasons an owner must consider before changing products.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post
    Offering zippers on existing models would double his inventory costs if he kept a zipper-less version in the product line. Plus since he sells through retailers he needs to amke sure they're inetrested in the modified line or risk losing that distribution channel. So there are other reasons an owner must consider before changing products.
    I never really thought about it like that, but you are right. Hennessy has so many different models to start with, that it probably is a monumental PITA for him to expand the offerings and maintain his relationships with the retailers.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    ... expand the offerings and maintain his relationships with the retailers.

Of course he could consider setting up TQ&ZQ as a value added distributor with inventory. Folks opting for a zipper mod could purchase through Hennessy and he's pass the order along to be dropped shipped after the mods. TQ&ZQ could then sell hammocks as well as the mods service.

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Of course he could consider setting up TQ&ZQ as a value added distributor with inventory. Folks opting for a zipper mod could purchase through Hennessy and he's pass the order along to be dropped shipped after the mods. TQ&ZQ could then sell hammocks as well as the mods service.
    Although I think you have a valid point I think the poster above was right in that TQ & ZQ wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. I never would have known about the zipper mod if not for the chance find of these forums. Had I known it existed it would have been the first option added to my hammock.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I overlooked this thread the first few times around (getting lax in my HF reading...) just picked it up now on the bump.

Climb into the way-back machine if you will to comments on the 18" wide slit for a pad.

For entirely different reasons I had a narrow entrance (20") between layers in my dual-mode bridge hammock. I've worked in (and out!) a 26" wide Thermarest just by inflating it, folding it over lengthwise, sliding it in, and then unfolding it. The reverse process is a little more complicated, you have to fold the pad as it is pulled through the slot.

The harder thing though is repositioning the pad while you're in the hammock. I expect that's the same with any double-layer hammock that closes up the slit though.

Thanks Cannibal for the post!

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    It's a zipper. I got all kinds of little trinkets that cost $2 with zippers. If you're paying a worker to sew up a hammock, how much more difficult is it to just sew a $2 zipper in?

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Hmm, so are they in production yet ?
    Wonder if he still has "trail daze" pricing ?

Slack

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567