WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    can you tell us more about the quilts....i still would like to know more about them
    What is it that you would like to know...? I guess I could ramble on a bit...

They have a nice thin/soft nylon on the inside and a thicker/slick outer nylon, both in ripstock.
    The foot box in the TQ is 23" wide and 24" tall. The slit up the side runs up about 52" to the head hole. The head hole is elastic and 8" across. There is a 13" cross stitched in the middle of the TQ, I guess this is to hold it together since there is no "quilting".
    The UQ has the same cross stitched in the middle of it. The ends are elastic and about 20" across, there is a tab on each end of the elastic for the shock cord. Speaking of shock cord it was just tied in a knot and came undone almost instantly (I fixed this issue with cord locks). There is also a tab on each side in the middle so you could string the UQ over you if in an open hammock (I'm in a WBBB so I took the cord off). The sides are just sown with no cord in them.

There is one cosmetic flaw but it isn't a big deal. My biggest gripe is that for me this is only summer quilt set that will not take me down to the advertised 40 deg F rating.

Ski

Where's Newton? He got one and BlackhawkGeo as well.. are these quilts keeping them warm? This thread is pretty interesting.. even if you guys are just a bunch of cyber hikers, haha. Anyhow, back over the the Beach, love Topsail Island..

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ohski View Post
    What is it that you would like to know...? I guess I could ramble on a bit...

They have a nice thin/soft nylon on the inside and a thicker/slick outer nylon, both in ripstock.
    The foot box in the TQ is 23" wide and 24" tall. The slit up the side runs up about 52" to the head hole. The head hole is elastic and 8" across. There is a 13" cross stitched in the middle of the TQ, I guess this is to hold it together since there is no "quilting".
    The UQ has the same cross stitched in the middle of it. The ends are elastic and about 20" across, there is a tab on each end of the elastic for the shock cord. Speaking of shock cord it was just tied in a knot and came undone almost instantly (I fixed this issue with cord locks). There is also a tab on each side in the middle so you could string the UQ over you if in an open hammock (I'm in a WBBB so I took the cord off). The sides are just sown with no cord in them.

There is one cosmetic flaw but it isn't a big deal. My biggest gripe is that for me this is only summer quilt set that will not take me down to the advertised 40 deg F rating.

Ski
    thanks man ... can you see the 4 inch of loft when it's hanging on the hammock? ... and how well does it pack down ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Where's Newton? He got one and BlackhawkGeo as well.. are these quilts keeping them warm? This thread is pretty interesting.. even if you guys are just a bunch of cyber hikers, haha. Anyhow, back over the the Beach, love Topsail Island..
    HAHAHA yeah us Cyber hikers are something else LOL
    i would like to know how there UQ's are working out as well ... i hope they chime in with some test info
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    thanks man ... can you see the 4 inch of loft when it's hanging on the hammock? ... and how well does it pack down ?
    They pack down great... then again I'm not a U/L guy so my opinion might not count. I have not seen 4" of loft out of these, LOL, not even close. Lets be real here... it's two pieces of nylon with 1/2" of insulation sandwich in between them. Since it's not quilted the outer shell does pull away from the insulation when the UQ is hung on the hammock. I don't think I would call that loft since there is nothing but air between the nylon and the insulation. Especially since there is a 13" cross stitched right in the middle where your body's core is.

I'll let the picture do the talking...

Ski

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Thanks for your input Ski.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    thanks for the input and the pics .....
    it looks really thin in the pics no wonder you were not warm below 60F

that and the sewing at the core you called it out that will def give heat lose and will squash the insulation at the core

it seems maybe quilting loops might drop the temp rating and help with heat lose at the core

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

I'm baaaaaaak ...

Hangers,

This thread is so much fun, I just want to chime in again ...

First ... BigFoot, I'll solve EVERY'TING ... tell me where the CSI lab is and I'll send a sample of dp's COZY insulation for analysis ... Yes'er reeee BOB ... CSI ! I'm interested too! Maybe the COZY puzzle will be solved ...?

OH, yo' CSI YouTube was GREAT! Thanks.

Temp Rating: Whew, where does one begin to address all the variables?

What did we have for din-din? ie: I didn't eat din-din one hang and got cold at 38*. Ate a huge din-din one hang and nearly broke out in a sweat at 45*. Carbs really keep the ole'furnace stoked. Got a buddy who swears by a real "cheesy" din-din.

Also, I'm a huge fan of a sock hat with face mask to sleep in even at 50*. This feature really expands my options. Can't remember, but how much of our body heat is lost via our head?

Also, also, I'm a big fan of putting me'mittens on my feet. This feature keeps my skinny feet nice and toasty at even below freezing temps.

Also, also, also, I'm a big fan of wearing my campfire jacket to sleep in when it's in the 40's or below.

Also, also, also, also, I really like synthetic insulation for the fact one can get yo' head under the covers and use that 98* furnace we have built-in. Tried this when I was still using Down and the moisture began building pretty fast. WAY better, errr less moisture build-up with synthetics. At least at my end.

Finally ... back to the infamous 4" of loft, errrrrr air pockets. This occurs mostly, well not mostly, but AT places where there isn't any body pressure. Shoot, the 4"s .................... will ONLY be there if your dp quilt is hanging pretty loose but still snug around the perimeter of one's hammock.

FYI: That 4" thingie came from a hanging buddy, who simply said, "Dave, it LOOKS like there is 4" of "loft" in "places".

I'm telling ya' ... this is the LAST time I EVER quote a buddy without my micrometer in my pack ...
    Got pudding?

so...............
    40*? Works for me,
    30*? I'm getting chilly !
    20*, Shivers ready or starting to kick in.

AND'ahhhhh don't forget the FREE 38gram, closed cell pad now included with every dp Under Quilt.
    I'm curious "How Low Can Ya' Go" with this FREE, now added accessory?

FYI: I bought 50 of'em, dp is READY ... Like one famous retailer says ... "Order up while they's HOT" ...

I need yo' help ... Should I offer a prize to the dp Gear Crew member who "survives" the coldest temp using their dp quilt?

I promise not to mention the ones who don't "survive" ...

Next, I bet'cha will talk about how the dp Top Quilt "foot box" isn't vented ... for temps 50* and UP?

What ta' dew, What ta' dew. Raise the price? Add weight? So many decisions to make ...

Please think on this ? ... RELIABLE - Pretty darn light with Wet weather benefits - and HOW ABOUT THIS ONE ... "low-cost" ...

'Bout forgot a couple biggies ... all dp Under Quilts are now improved hence forth. ie: Bright Green DWR fabric top and bottom for better heat retention. (Think the OLD JRB green fabric? I'm thinking I found their source ...)

Plus, NEW pull tabs that will eliminate the pulls ripping. Should I put some Gorrilla Glue on tooooo? Ahhhhhh, YES on-going improvements with NO increase in price.

This may or may NOT help you Forum gear engineers, but it pretty much clears my head on the matter.

Love you guys ! Keep on "hanging" ...

dp Dave

www.dphammockgear.com
    dplightweightbackpackinggear.com

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    D-P your post is way out of line man..
    the poster stated he was not warm with your UQ below 60F thats all and all we are doing is trying to figure out how your UQ works and why he is not warm
    everything you stated in this thread goes against everything we know of UQ's and insulation all we are doing is trying to figure out how you are making this all work and all you are doing is mocking us

but after your last post ... WOW
    if your going to make claims that go against everything we know of UQ's and insulation have facts to back it up...
    don't make post mocking ppl .... you just made yourself look really bad

all anyone has ever asked was how and why you came up with your UQ... and all we get is no answer or posts like this...

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    So I need to eat more and then wear more clothes... That's my problem..? It's interesting that you have "improved" your UQ not once but twice since I bought it less than 3 months ago.

I've given a great review of your gear... I have been honest and given both the good and the bad.

The crappy part of all this is that I now have to buy another set of quilts to do what yours advertised.

At this point I'm done and do not expect me to order anything else from you or to promote your product to anybody I know and hang with.

Ski

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by d-p View Post
    I need yo' help ... Should I offer a prize to the dp Gear Crew member who "survives" the coldest temp using their dp quilt?
    I think that's a terrible idea

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast