DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Updates, Get Your Updates!

Alright.

I'm in the midst of finalizing the stay dates for several places. I've decided to go with night one (Sunday, 3/23) being at Moses Crek Conservation Area. From downtown St. Augustine, that's a short ~11-mile ride. This gives us the chance to meet in St. Auggie and get everything together without having to worry overmuch about time. It also makes for a short day to shake down any gear issues that might crop up. Here's the map for it: link.

Night two (Mon, 3/24) is going to be at Rice Creek Conservation Area. This one's going to be a ~32 miler. Here's the map: link.

Night three (Tue, 3/25) is going to be at the Longleaf Flatwoods Reserve. This one's going to be a ~41 mile day. Here's the map: link.

Unfortunately, Paynes Prairie State Park has not approved their backcountry sites for hammock use yet. I'm going to try to get that done, if at all possible. If so, then it'll be an easy 10 miler, but the cost per head will be $5.00. Map is here: link.

If not, then on night four (Wed, 3/26), we have two options. First, we could spend an additional day at the Longleaf Flatwoods Reserve. This gives us easy access to both Gainesville (approximately 25 miles round-trip) and Micanopy (approximately 18 miles round-trip). The second option is to head up to Ichetucknee Springs campground a day early and spend two nights there. That would be a longer day, at ~51 miles. And it would be an extra $10.00 over and above the cost of the Longleaf Flatwoods. However, we would be convenient to Ichetucknee Springs State Park (~0.8 miles to the north entrance and ~3.8 miles from the south entrance) and the town of Fort White (~11 miles round-trip). It would also give us a rest day on day five (Thur, 3/27) to recuperate a bit before the final two days' push.

Thoughts?

Either way, night five will be at Ichetucknee Springs campground, which will be a $10.00 fee (plus $4.00 a head past myself and the first other person; the third+ person will incur that fee).

Night six will be at Fanning Springs State Park. From the Ichetucknee Springs campground, that'll be a ~38 mile day. Map is located here: link.

Night seven will be in Cedar Key. I've reserved a two-bedroom condo, so we can have up to three extra folks staying there for the evening (Mrs. FLRider will be joining me that night); two will have to share a queen-size bed and one will have to take the couch, but there's room. That day will be a ~43 miler. Map is located here: link.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Shuttling

So, due to the availability of the condo on the final night, I'll be able to shuttle up to two bikes back to St. Augustine or an equivalent distance that day (that's how many will fit in the car). Since Mrs. FLRider is meeting me out there, I can take the car to shuttle for folks.

As of right now, shuttling on the first day in St. Augustine would be difficult. I probably do it if anyone was willing to meet in Gainesville around 5-ish on Saturday (Day 0): I won't be getting out of work until then, and I plan on going basically straight from work to St. Augustine to check in at whichever place the wife and I decide upon.

If anyone is interested, either let me know here or PM me. Thanks!
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Thanks for all of the hard work putting this together. I am flexible and really do not mind whatever works out best for everyone.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Thanks for all of the hard work putting this together. I am flexible and really do not mind whatever works out best for everyone.
    Thanks. I appreciate that. Right now, I'm leaning towards Ichetucknee; it's a really nice campground with things to do nearby. The Longleaf Flatwoods is nice, but it can be a little remote.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate that. Right now, I'm leaning towards Ichetucknee; it's a really nice campground with things to do nearby. The Longleaf Flatwoods is nice, but it can be a little remote.
    Ichetucknee looks like a nice place with lots to do, so 2 nights there would be good.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    great job on the planning. I'm impressed. That's a lot of work

I'm refurbishing my recumbent as we speak(type/email/what ever)
    Different seat (Kind of hammock-y) and general cleanup/maintenance.

I'll be lurking!
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Ichetucknee looks like a nice place with lots to do, so 2 nights there would be good.
    I'll keep that in mind. Mrs. FLRider might even come out on those nights (she likes that park)...we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    great job on the planning. I'm impressed. That's a lot of work

I'm refurbishing my recumbent as we speak(type/email/what ever)
    Different seat (Kind of hammock-y) and general cleanup/maintenance.

I'll be lurking!
    Thanks, but most of it I was already fairly familiar with from rides around Gainesville. The only section that I've not actually ridden is from Ichetucknee to Cedar Key. I've driven it, but that isn't quite the same. I'm going to see if I can get out that way some time over the next couple of weekends, both as a training tool and to get "boots on the ground" so-to-speak.

Glad to hear the recumbent is doing well. I need to do a drive train replacement before we leave, m'self; hopefully, that'll be either this week or next week. The ol' girl has got ~6.6k on her now, and this is only her second transmission (and she's even still got the original front tire ). It's starting to skip under heavy uphill mashing, so...

Anyway, that's where I'm at so far. I think it's gonna be two nights at Ichetucknee, simply due to availability of things to do around there and lack of things to do around Longleaf.
    --Floridahanger

Wow, I can't believe I just found this thread! I started riding a road bike this past year, though weather and wedding planning have kept me off since Christmas. If I'd seen this last year, I'd have a goal to train for.

A buddy and I have been talking about something like this for a while. I wish I could go with you. I could handle the riding, but I can't get the time off. I'm saving it all for the honeymoon.

Best of luck to you all!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaGeoff View Post
    Wow, I can't believe I just found this thread! I started riding a road bike this past year, though weather and wedding planning have kept me off since Christmas. If I'd seen this last year, I'd have a goal to train for.

A buddy and I have been talking about something like this for a while. I wish I could go with you. I could handle the riding, but I can't get the time off. I'm saving it all for the honeymoon.

Best of luck to you all!
    Thank you! Sorry to hear about not being able to take time off, but I'd definitely say that the honeymoon is more important.

You're more'n welcome to come out for one (or more!) of the days that we'll be out, if that fits your schedule better; there's nothing that says you have to do the whole trip to meet up. Just a thought...
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    20140318_143236.jpg
    Here's a pic of my rack on my van. since my recumbent sits high, I'm quite sure two more bikes could be loaded under it. I will bring a bunch of bungy cords. What do you think?

There's no problem parking two extra vehicles at your house??
    grinder

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast