Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Sportsman's Guide Emergency Shelter

I needed to get a tarp for my nephew's hammock and given that he only goes out a few times a year, I did not want to spend a lot of money on one. (Yep, I must be an idiot to even think about Sportsman's Guide after the +50 plus pages of problems with last year's tarps!

But anyway, poverty plus the scattered number of positive SG tarp reviews, made me order the Emergency Shelter (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/s...er&eMode=)very early this year. According to SG this was supposed to be a "11 1/2 x 14' Tarp / Shelter." After shipping my total cost came to $50.97.

So yesterday I finally got around to opening the box. Turns out the Emergency Shelter has the same advertising/measurement problems as the tarps from last year. My actual side measurements were around 7' on one side and 7-2' on the other. Apparently, SG used diagonal measurements or something. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Once I measured the tarp I knew it was going back. I called SG Customer Service, they looked into the issue and lo and behold, "The supplier gave us the wrong specs." Anyway, SG has a return tag ---hopefully with postage coming via e-mail--- and the tarp will be going back to them.

IMPRESSIONS:

Tie outs: 6 Total, with 2 of them having brass looking grommets. Tie outs only intrude only about 1/2" onto the tarp itself. I suspect that the tie outs might not hold up in---possibly repeated--- high wind/rain conditions. Doesn't seem like this tarp has many easy alternative hang configurations to me.

Stitching: My gross measurement is that there is only about 6 stitches to the inch. Seems to me that more stitches to the inch would add strength and water proofing to the tarp, but I will leave it to others to comment.

Loose Thread Material: There were several areas of loose thread having off of the underside of the tarp.

Seam Tape: There is no seam taping at all.

ANALYSIS:

The SG tarp cost approximately $51, seam sealing supplies (necessary due to the lack of seam sealing) would be about another 7, bucks; so let's call it as $58 total for a "cheap tarp." Tarp plus stuff sack ONLY weighed 1 pound 6 ounces.

Looking around the forum I found three sub $100 tarps in quick order: Kelty's Noah, DD Tarp, and Mosquito Hammock tarps.

I have already used a Noah, so I spent quite a bit of time trying to decided between the DD and the Mosquito offerings (each of these ended up costing $80). In the end I bit the bullet and ordered a DD XL tarp.

By spending $23 more for the DD tarp than for the SG, I got: 13 more tie out points; well reinforced tie outs; multiple possible "hang" configurations; taped seams; and a larger tarp.

By my calculations...the "cheap tarps" are really a pretty bad deal all around.

(If you want any more info on the SG Emergency Guide shelter, let me know and, if I have not already sent it back, I will answer them for you.)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Get the HQ Issue Camo Tarp from Sportmans Guide. Just did a review on it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    When I first wanted to try the hammock thing I picked up the cheapest tarp I could find:

http://www.hammockbliss.com/all-purp...rproof-shelter

I think I found it for around $35. It's narrow, but it did the job. I wouldn't wanna be caught in a serious rain storm for any length of time, as there is no room to do anything but lay in the hammock, but it will keep your hammock dry when pitched properly. I've actually used it in Winter a handful of times, once with snow falling.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    You might want to check out this tarp from BCUSA. They have lots of tie outs for different set ups, mine is 100% waterproof, and I have not seen a single complaint about them.

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/W...dland-gen1.htm

They go in/out of stock quickly so if they are out, wait a couple of days and check back.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Get the HQ Issue Camo Tarp from Sportmans Guide. Just did a review on it.
    I just got two of these yesterday; SG's new shipping method of using FedEx to drop it at the nearest postal hub leaves a lot to be desired. They call it smart post, I call it, "now you can track me, now you can't".

However, I have to admit for about $30-$40 dollars, I have a much better, LIGHTER tarp than my Gigante WalMarto. We will see after I set it up, and get the many seams sealed.

I got the 11'x11' digital camo, and the green one. The green is a more darker green than the web shows.

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    As reported earlier, I ordered a DD XL tarp and you can read my initial impressions of that tarp here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70219

BTW, I think that the DD tarp is a much better investment even if it does cost more --$80 (DD) versus $51 (Sportsman's). After all, when you are hanging out during bad weather which do you think will matter more to you how much you saved...or how comfortably dry you are?

I have had some bad experiences with SG, but I think you were sent the wrong item. I have seen good reviews on the Emergency Shelter, here is one:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=57628

I agree that SG is certainly hit or miss, and the stuff last year with the "diagonally measured" tarps was particularly egregious.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aruss View Post
    I have had some bad experiences with SG, but I think you were sent the wrong item. I have seen good reviews on the Emergency Shelter, here is one:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=57628

I agree that SG is certainly hit or miss, and the stuff last year with the "diagonally measured" tarps was particularly egregious.

Measured diagonally, counting my arms, I am 8 ft 9 inches tall. That is about as sincere as a diagonal tarp measurement.

The 2013 GG and HQ square tarps are pretty decent this year. I am still in the process of abusing one to the point of failure. It has been up over a month and through several storms, and small limbs on it. Lots of bird poop... It has not failed, but you can see daylight through some of the seam sealed stitches now, and it leaks through those. I think the highest wind was 37 mph gusts. I would not dare do this to a decent tarp.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

SG tarp

I love this one I have both sizes and my nephew has the bigger one we have never had a problem with either.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1148204

• + New Posts