SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    COGS Black Canyon
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Inexpensive (downright cheap) tree straps

So I was at my local sporting goods retailer the other day and I picked up a couple of Coghlans Utility Straps for $1.99 each. They're 6' long 1" polypropylene straps with a sewn on buckle. I'm basically looking to upgrade my ENO single nest for my son (8yo) to camp in.

So I cut off the super cheap buckle and now I have a 6' strap with a sewn loop on the end. It remains to be seen if the loop is sufficiently sewn, but either way it's a cheap source for strap material, and if it fails a figure 8 would work just fine. My intent is to use these with a marlin spike hitch and some whoopie slings.

Anyone else trusted their hang to a Coghlan's strap?

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I use these from harbor freight. Same price, a little longer. Bright yellow. You decide if that's a plus or minus.

Link to Harbor Freight Straps
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Last but not least.....lurk on the bargain barn on Strapworks site. I bought about 50' of maroon 1.5" polypro webbing last year for what came out to be about $.04/ft. Sew it or tie it. Either way those were some cheap and awesome tree straps.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    COGS Black Canyon
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I use these from harbor freight. Same price, a little longer. Bright yellow. You decide if that's a plus or minus.

Link to Harbor Freight Straps
    Oooh. Yeah, those look a little more robust. I'm not confident that the sewn loops on the coghlans are gonna hold up in the long run. Those HF ones look like they have much better loop sewing.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by trick420 View Post
    S...They're 6' long 1" polypropylene straps with a sewn on buckle...
    Just so you know...1" x 0.060" polypropylene heavyweight webbing has a breaking strength of 900 lbs compared to 3800 lbs for polyester webbing of equal dimensions.

The 1" polyester webbing frequently used for tree straps has a breaking strength of about 1500 lbs.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    COGS Black Canyon
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Just so you know...1" x 0.060" polypropylene heavyweight webbing has a breaking strength of 900 lbs compared to 3800 lbs for polyester webbing of equal dimensions.

The 1" polyester webbing frequently used for tree straps has a breaking strength of about 1500 lbs.
    Dang... Details... Oh well. It will hold my 70# 8 year old son just fine though!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I've hung dozens of times on those yellow straps, I just broke the buckle off and use a Dutch clip, I've used tri-glides, dutch buckles and dream hammocks new buckle/slotted tri-glide and cinch buckles on those. And BTH, if you want yellow you better hurry, the new ones are orange.

Oooh. Yeah, those look a little more robust. I'm not confident that the sewn loops on the coghlans are gonna hold up in the long run. Those HF ones look like they have much better loop sewing.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    ... I picked up a couple of Coghlans Utility Straps for $1.99 each. ... I'm basically looking to upgrade my ENO single nest for my son (8yo) to camp in. ... but either way it's a cheap source for strap material.... Anyone else trusted their hang to a Coghlan's strap?
    You consider this to be an upgrade?! The adage is "you get what you pay for." And no, I would not trust el cheapo straps to hang from. If you read the warnings, I'm betting they say "not for use" for human life or limb.

Don't hang your son any higher than you are willing for him to fall, nor over anything you are not willing for his spine to hit first.

Good straps simply are not that expensive.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I wouldn't trust those straps, especially not the small sewn loop. There's no indication of breaking strength (at least the ones I've seen in stores). If the tree strap on the head end breaks, then your son's head may be injured. If you make him wear a helmet when biking, then I'd suggest stronger straps.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    COGS Black Canyon
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You consider this to be an upgrade?! The adage is "you get what you pay for." And no, I would not trust el cheapo straps to hang from. If you read the warnings, I'm betting they say "not for use" for human life or limb.

Don't hang your son any higher than you are willing for him to fall, nor over anything you are not willing for his spine to hit first.

Good straps simply are not that expensive.
    Actually, I was thinking it to be an upgrade. It's all relative.. The backstory is: Not knowing any better, that hammock has been hung using nothing more than this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...4156/202048173 for the past 12 years. This rope is old and dry, and in looking recently is only rated to 244#. I hang in it, all three kids and two of their friends have hung (and swung) in it... THAT is dangerous. If these straps, worst case, are rated at 900#, then I have just upped the safety factor by almost 4x.

Now, being new here, and not having in previous exposure to proper suspension systems, I agree, they're not the best option. After looking at the sewn loops, I agree, they're not adequate. I would have no problem though tying a figure 8 loop though and using that, and that's what I was planning after inspecting the loops.

I will get proper poly webbing for this project and keep these for an emergency backup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast