Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

Some pics from the Heart of Dixie Hang

Hey everyone,

I just got in from the Heart of Dixie Hang and wanted to post a few pics. We had about 8-9 people there last night. I was the last to arrive and couldn't manage to find the group so I set off my car alarm to get their attention. Yeah I felt like a goob lol......

Came in setup and sat around the fire for a while. Got up this morning and looked at everyones gear plus alot of folks were swapping various stories of the outdoors. My phone had very scattered service but I received an email from my wife saying that there was a storm warning for weather to drop into the teens, 25-40 mph winds, wind chills of -5* to 5*. I was 250 miles from home so decided to head out and come on home. I hated to leave early but I didn't want to risk driving home tomorrow with any bad roads.

Here are a few pics:

This morning everyone eating around the fire ring:

Bama was making a fashion statement

My new setup. WBBB, JRB Mt Washington 4, JRB High Sierra Sniveler, WB Big Mambajamba Spin tarp

I think this was Bama's setup

I didn't get a chance to discuss this setup but I believe it was mostly self made gear. It was a pretty cool setup

The first time I got to see one of the Kelty tarps in action

Studying a couple of packs since I have been in the market.

Buffalo Skippers dutch over. He made some good grub for everyone for breakfast.

This was Buffalo Skippers tarp. I don't remember the name of the company making them but it had a pretty neat shape to it.

I had a great time and look forward to meeting up with more in the future. I sure hope the weather doesn't get too bad for them tonight and the weather forecast was a little overstated.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    That being the heart of Dixie was that the fabled Livermush and grits everyone was eating?
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looking good. Hope they have a good time out there tonight, good stories to tell & a safe ride home.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Thanks for the pictures. Looks like everyone is having fun. Anytime you can hang with fellow hangers and swap stories. Is a good time in my book.
    Terry

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm over in the west side of the state and a nasty storm started moving through here eastward about two hours ago. I just looked at the radar and it is just now moving in on them. Sure hope they are all alright. It will be a surely be a good test of their set ups. Luckily they are close to their cars.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!! What is the tripod metal things coming off the fire pit???
    I love the look of the forest there.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oh an Lee, glad you made it in ok last night. Good pics. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    yeah I'ld be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about them. I had to drive through a pretty heavy storm on the way home today(the same one that is hitting them now). I'm sure everything will be fine. They all were adjusting their gear for bad weather as I was leaving.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Oh an Lee, glad you made it in ok last night. Good pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for offering the help to my wife. I walked around there for a while and could smell the fire but couldn't locate them. I felt like a total goob but didn't want to get lost. Luckily they came out to see what all the noise was about.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Great time, everyone survived the weather

Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I'm over in the west side of the state and a nasty storm started moving through here eastward about two hours ago. I just looked at the radar and it is just now moving in on them. Sure hope they are all alright. It will be a surely be a good test of their set ups. Luckily they are close to their cars.
    When you made this post, Smarticle and I were already snug as bugs in our hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    yeah I'ld be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about them. I had to drive through a pretty heavy storm on the way home today(the same one that is hitting them now). I'm sure everything will be fine. They all were adjusting their gear for bad weather as I was leaving.
    The weather held off nicely, and we were all cooked and cleaned long before it came through. Even as the line was approaching, the wind was erratic and shifting constantly, but the worst of it stayed up in the tree tops well above us.

Smarticle and I were the first ones to go to bed, and I mostly slept through it all. But nothing lulls me to sleep better than a good storm. In the end, I doubt we got but between ¼" and ½". But it was a great test of our gear, and everyone survived fine. When I got up in the morning there was a thin layer of ice on everything left exposed (tarps), and we had intemittent light sleet minimal flurries.

Lee, sorry you had to leave, but we understand. We had more good grub on Saturday night. Lamb stew and dumplings, Conecuh and deer sausage, corn and fresh veggies. It was all good.

Here is a pic of the gang. I will post more later.

Left to right, back row: Goblin, bigbamaguy, leeinmemphis, aboyd, Smarticle and tight-wad. Seated: bdbart and MandyDawn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast