Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images

Air gap between UQ and hammock

I'm having a small problem with my Jarbridge UQ (but I think it's a configuration problem, not a problem with the UQ itself).

I set everything up and tighten the shock cord on the UQ, I even wrap the shock cord around the lock to prevent it from slipping.

But during the night, the UQ slips down and there's an air gap between the hammock and the UQ. Even though the air there is warm (when I stick my hand down), the hammock gets cool/cold (lower back and thighs). I even tried a piece of string over the ridge line to keep the UQ up, but that didn't help. From what I can see. the lenght of the shock cord is the same (i.e. no slip through the cord lock)

I'm using a DD Frontline. The UQ is clipped to the whoopie slings as close to the hammock as possible.

I don't really know where to start adjusting. I was thinking that maybe the sag wasn't enough, but the CRL is as short as possible. Do I have to have more tension on the UQ's suspension (which seems hard to accomplish without the shock cord slipping)?

Any ideas?

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I would try tighter first. You could use "triangle thingies" from arrowhead equipment. That would bring the uq suspension so it is pulling more up than across.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    First thing I would suggest is to hang the quilt looser. Generally speaking the #1 thing that can cause the KAQ line of quilts to not perform properly is hanging them to tightly, be it the quilt suspension itself or the end channels of the quilt. If the end channels of the are to tight it can cause wrinkles in the insulation that could create air gaps, letting cool air funnel right in-between the quilt and the hammock. Secondly if the quilt suspension is pulled to tightly it can cause a couple potential issues, the quilt can accidentally be pulled out and away from the occupied hammock rather than gently hugging it. This happens from the hammock being laid in at an angle while the quilt suspension is pulling to tightly in a strait line to the hammocks suspension points. The word to remember with KAQ's is SNUG, just snug the quilts cords and it will do much better generally then if they are pulled tight. Triangle things can help to take some of the adjustment issues out of the mix to a degree and you can adjust the amount of snug at each corner separately so they let you have a good bit of control.

My number 2 suggestion is to have someone lay in your hammock while you attach the quilt and make adjustments from one extreme to the other. This can help you to see what happens when the quilt is hanging loose and tight and just right. Then trade places while they make those same adjustments so you can feel how the quilt feels when it is loose or tight or snug. Once you have it dialed in for you then it should be good with very little tweaking from then on, but you will know better what to look for and feel for when setting up.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the advice. I'll experiment some more (loosen and tighten)

The weird thing is that everything looks and feels right when I set it up, but after a while there's an air gap under the hammock, under my back. Just as if the UQ or suspension sagged (which I don't believe it does). The ends are snug.

I'll check out the triangle thingies and similar stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I'm not familiar with the Jarbridge UQ but if it's down then it needs to be against the hammock fabric, the trick is to do that without compressing any down by having it too tight.

Could the shock cord you got be rubbish? Maybe try it with some thicker cord and see how that goes, it sounds like the UQ is too heavy for the SC and sagging over time. Don't remove the existing SC but try and fasten some thicker stuff on somehow, just so you can test it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I have a Jarbridge River. I had no problems with this hammock out of the box. I have a Grand Trunk SB Pro, which is one of the longest gathered end hammocks out there. I have never had a draft at all, ever. Make sure the ends are synched to keep the end gaps minimum.

If possible, lay in the hammock with the quilt attahced, and have someone else loosen and/or tighten. You will know when it is right.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Jarbridge UQ but if it's down ...
    It's synthetic.

Looking at the UQ, the ends were pretty tight, so I'll loosen them (and the suspension) and try some more. You can get away with an imperfect setup as long as it's warm outside, but when the temperature drops mistakes are not forgiven.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    How cold is it over with you Oskar, shockcord will lose it's spring in really cold weather.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    How cold is it over with you Oskar, shockcord will lose it's spring in really cold weather.
    If this is the case, try polyester shockcord instead of the common nylon shockcord. It's a little bit heavier but keeps it's spring better in the cold.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    It hasn't dropped below freezing yet. Lowest was about 5C/40F I guess. But it happened when when it was warmer as well, but it wasn't critical then.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast