SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Talking whoopies out of 3/16 amsteel blue

Today I went to my local amsteel blue dealer (in Edmonton Alberta Canada). It took me a while to find an outfit up here that sold the stuff, and the smallest diameter they had was 3/16 inch. So, I had no choice but to buy it. I have read all the threads on whoopie construction, and watched all the vids on youtube and they all sing the same refrain, use 7/64 inch gauge.
    Okay, I went ahead and constructed a pair of whoopies out of the 3/16 amsteel. The fixed eye is held with a locked brummel, and the adjustable eye has a bury of 12 inches. I am hoping that this will constrict enough to allow for no slippage. Does anyone have experience with this gauge of amsteel? Should I use the 7/64 gauge? The whoopies seem to hold my weight perfectly, I am not a large man, only 160 pounds.
    The gent at the shop said that this gauge had a break strength of over 2000 lbs, but that would decrease by about 10 percent after the splice was complete. So, if anyone has tried whoopie slings with 3/16 gauge amsteel blue, here is a thread to post your results.

Cheers.......

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 w/footbox and zip bugnet
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    3/16 is stronger than 7/64. You have no worries. My sons hammock uses 3/16 cause I got it for free. I'd have to check to see the length of bury but it sounds like plenty to me.
    Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. ~Author Unknown
    I seem to have lots of experience for my age

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think you have any concerns. A whoopie is a whoopie regardless of diameter. Most folks use 7/64 based on a 5-1 safety ratio - the rope should have a breaking strength five times your weight. The 7/64" Amsteel has a 1600 lb. breaking strength, so in your case, weighing 160 lbs., 7/64 Amsteel gives you a 10-1 safety ratio.

With 3/16" Amsteel, the breaking strength is 5400 lbs, so your safety ratio is 34-1. Your whoopies are gonna weigh a lot more than 7/64 Amsteel, but I doubt you have to worry about them breaking in your lifetime, or maybe three generations after you pass.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Excellent to hear, I thought maybe I had bought the wrong stuff. Now ,to attach my whoopies and go for a cold night hang. Thanks for your quick responses.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Images
    I hang from 2mm dynaglide. Your 3/16ths will hold up just fine.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Got a line on a distro for amsteel in 7/64. Thanks BrianWillan. I will purchase 50 or so feet and get to making some new, lighter whoopies. In the mean time, I will use my 3/16 whoopies. They dont weigh much, but it would be nice to go lighter. Anyhow, thanks for all your feedback. Without these forums, newbies like me would be totaly lost.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I use 3/16" amsteel for lifting heavy beams and felling trees (pulling them the right direction if they're leaning too far). Your whoopies will be fine, but I predict that you'll replace them with something lighter eventually. My weight is close to yours, and I hang from dynaglide or 7/64" amsteel.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I use 3/16" amsteel for lifting heavy beams and felling trees (pulling them the right direction if they're leaning too far). Your whoopies will be fine, but I predict that you'll replace them with something lighter eventually. My weight is close to yours, and I hang from dynaglide or 7/64" amsteel.
    Okay, I have heard a lot of talk about dynaglide. What is it? All the pictures I have seen of it look like garbage. Not the dynaglide, rather the pics. I have heard it is better than amsteel. Is this the case? If so, maybe I will order both and see which I like better. Thanks WV.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    Okay, I have heard a lot of talk about dynaglide. What is it? All the pictures I have seen of it look like garbage. Not the dynaglide, rather the pics. I have heard it is better than amsteel. Is this the case? If so, maybe I will order both and see which I like better. Thanks WV.
    I've been wondering the same thing. I just did a quick search and it looks like the same thing as zing it, just stronger...1000lbs breaking strength vs 450 for 1.75 zing it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast