Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi

Tent camping ruined

I took my nx250 up to the BWCA last month (you may have seen my trip report) - Even with all the adversity I faced, the hammock itself performed admirably.

Last week, my fiance said she wanted to go car camping. Last minute. Labor day weekend.

I was specifically told I would not be sleeping in the hammock, but would be sharing a tent with her

There were thunderstorms scheduled. This would be unfortunate for a camping trip, but turned out good, because it meant there was still camping sites available at a local state park. The weather cleared up so we went down to the park. (Blue Mounds State Park, Wi)

On the way, my fiance developed a huge migrane! We had to pull over several times to let her puke. The camping trip was about 1/4 of the way to her parents house, where we needed to go anyway for some wedding planning, so she did not want to go home, but also thought she could not make it to her parents, so we decided to tough it out.

when we got to the campground, I decided to set up the hammock anyway to let her rest and recuperate. 2 min after pulling into our spot, she was in the hammock sleeping. (Man hammocks set up fast!) (On the upside, I think the quick setup and good rest she god helped sell her on hammocks - I got in big trouble for buying it without permission in the first place )

It then proceeded to start to drizzle, then pour while I had to set up the tent. Setting up the tent took me a good 30 minutes. It was just a coleman 3 man dome, but it was the first time I had ever set this model up. Later in the weekend I was able to get it up in about 10 min to let it dry out, but that first time sucked

Eventually fiance felt better, we made a fire, ate some food, hiked a bit, then went to bed.

HOW DID I EVER SLEEP IN A TENT! I could feel every little rock and dip, and the hard ground pressed up against me!

The hammock has ruined me forever for tents.

If the fiance wants to keep camping, I am 100% going to get

a) a second hammock (maybe a tropical, since its doubtful she will want to do any cold camping)
    b) a vertex
    c) some other two person hammock

b) seems like a good choice, since it lets us stay together when couple camping. anyone have any field tests for Vertex "extracurricular activities"?

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    No but the doublenest works great for those types of things. Machine-washable to boot! lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin42 View Post
    b) seems like a good choice, since it lets us stay together when couple camping. anyone have any field tests for Vertex "extracurricular activities"?
    Without taking this thread into the gutter...totally doable.

I spent a couple of months with a lent Vertex. Unfortunately, I also had two other Clark hammocks to review at the same time and spent most of my time trying to get cozy with the other two models. Twas a mistake. When I got around to the Vertex, I was very pleasantly surprised...but short on time. My girlfriend and I went out with it several times and other than a minor issue with underquilts that could be resolved with a 5 minute mod, it was great!

Since it wasn't my hammock, but a loaner from a friend, we didn't actually do any "extracurricular activities" (BTW, I call it "dynamic stress testing"). That didn't stop us from evaluating different manners in which to get said activity done. The material is plenty strong enough and there is a ton of room in those things. If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be doing it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Name the offspring "Toggle"
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    "grrr ITS HOGGLE!!" Sorry to much Labyrinth.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

• + New Posts