WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness

CCF pad & UQ together

I'm guessing this has been asked a million times before so apologies for that, if anyone's got a link to an existing thread please put the link up and I'll take a look.

I got into a discussion with some friends the other day about using a CCF pad to boost the performance of a synthetic UQ, I've never tried the combination but I hope some of you guys have in the past. My thoughts were that the CCF would block out your radiated heat and therefore prevent the UQ from working as well, the other side of the argument was that it would help boost the overall performance when used together.

The quilt isn't mine as I use down now, but I did have the same one once upon a time, I've happily used it down to -11*C (12*F) and could see it reaching it's limit around -15*C (5*F). The friend is heading to Lithuania for a hanging trip soon and temperatures are expected around -20*C (-5*F).

Would packing a CCF pad be a good idea or would it make matters worse?

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    check this new thread out I found very interesting:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=Lattice
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    check this new thread out I found very interesting:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=Lattice

Interesting idea, I can't see any mention of using it with a UQ though? I can see the gaps would reduce condensation issues and it sounds like it's pretty comfy too.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Most know I am a ccf pad fan. In my experience the condensation issue decreases as it gets colder. I believe this is because the ccf is too warm for the temps people use it. Anyway, using ccf and uq together does work well. Try it out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    .......... My thoughts were that the CCF would block out your radiated heat and therefore prevent the UQ from working as well, the other side of the argument was that it would help boost the overall performance when used together.

The quilt isn't mine as I use down now, but I did have the same one once upon a time, I've happily used it down to -11*C (12*F) and could see it reaching it's limit around -15*C (5*F). The friend is heading to Lithuania for a hanging trip soon and temperatures are expected around -20*C (-5*F).

Would packing a CCF pad be a good idea or would it make matters worse?
    Adding a pad adds R value , just like using a thicker quilt adds R value. If your heat output is not making it into the layers of your UQ, it must mean your heat is staying near your back instead of disappearing down below. If your pad is not thick enough to block all of your body heat from escaping below, then that heat will travel on down into the UQ in a normal fashion.

IOW, I can not see how not losing your body heat down below so that it can warm up your UQ can actually be a problem, though some will disagree with me. On the practical side, many a cold back or butt has been cured by adding a pad to an UQ. It has saved me more than once when I found out I was below the abilities of my IX UQ, and it has saved many others from a miserable night also.

One big caveat! If your pad somehow interferes with the fit and "seal" of your UQ, it might not help or might even make matters worse. I suspect, but do not know, that wider, larger ( but not thicker ) pads and very stiff pads might be more prone to that UQ fit interference. Also, do not forget the multi-use possibilities of a pad: emergency go to ground, sit pad, fire fanner, pack frame, etc etc.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'm currently testing a new hammock with a pad sleeve. It works great, but the pad is only 20" wide so my shoulders got cold at 27°F. Adding both quilt and pad is a great combination and yes it works.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Most know I am a ccf pad fan. In my experience the condensation issue decreases as it gets colder. I believe this is because the ccf is too warm for the temps people use it. Anyway, using ccf and uq together does work well. Try it out.
    I will one day, if we ever get a winter instead of just rain

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Adding a pad adds R value , just like using a thicker quilt adds R value. If your heat output is not making it into the layers of your UQ, it must mean your heat is staying near your back instead of disappearing down below. If your pad is not thick enough to block all of your body heat from escaping below, then that heat will travel on down into the UQ in a normal fashion.
    Thanks BB, interesting thoughts. In the case of the UQ alone not being sufficient, adding the pad increases the R-value of the combined system. But how likely is it that any heat coming from the UQ passes back through the CCF and heats the body? No doubt there's a formula somebody's worked out So in effect, if the heat cannot pass back through the CCF then the area of UQ underneath it is not doing anything. Or is there more of an ambient temperature increase, say down the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I can not see how not losing your body heat down below so that it can warm up your UQ can actually be a problem, though some will disagree with me. On the practical side, many a cold back or butt has been cured by adding a pad to an UQ. It has saved me more than once when I found out I was below the abilities of my IX UQ, and it has saved many others from a miserable night also.
    I also use a piece of Reflectix under my butt on really cold nights, my Snugfit could do with a couple more ounces around the butt area The piece I use is only 18x18" so it doesn't restrict the work of the UQ much.

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I'm currently testing a new hammock with a pad sleeve. It works great, but the pad is only 20" wide so my shoulders got cold at 27°F. Adding both quilt and pad is a great combination and yes it works.
    Thanks Derek, so you've noticed the difference at low temps?

Thanks for the input folks, this one I've always been curious about

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post

Thanks Derek, so you've noticed the difference at low temps?

Be interesting to see what Derek says, but I'm willing to bet a dollar he says Yes. I have had the difference be from "dang my back is cold" to " oh man that is nice and warm" within a couple of minutes of adding a pad to some UQs that I pushed beyond their ability.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    My thoughts were that the CCF would block out your radiated heat and therefore prevent the UQ from working as well, the other side of the argument was that it would help boost the overall performance when used together.
    Assuming a good fit, more insulation = more warmth, so the UQ will help but the foam will delay the warmth so the hanger will not feel the instantaneous warmth when the UQ is repositioned in the middle of the night.

If the fit is poor, that is the same as not having the insulation, but that is true for every type of insulation, not just CCF, but any down or synthetic also. Softer, more expensive foams will seal easier, so there is more cost and more value to using cottage vendor's CCF than the stiffest, cheapest, big box store foam. There is the problem, post "CCF" and one is thinking of good EVA foam while another is thinking of Walmart foam.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I actually have found the cheap walmart ccf to be warmer than the "better" stuff. It is stiffer, so I think it compresses less. I first noticed the difference with sit pads. The WM gave me a warm tushie very fast, while the other stuff I just wasn't cold.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast