Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Just got back from 6 day trip in bwca using this setup. Believe I suggested this pad to the OP. For me I can go both ways. If its warm enough I like to go padless and like the way the hammock conforms around me. But it's equally comfortable in a different manner with the pad in. Definitely like the versatility a pad offers and I've been down to low 20s with out issue in it. Could go lower but I haven't tested that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Just got back from 6 day trip in bwca using this setup. Believe I suggested this pad to the OP. For me I can go both ways. If its warm enough I like to go padless and like the way the hammock conforms around me. But it's equally comfortable in a different manner with the pad in. Definitely like the versatility a pad offers and I've been down to low 20s with out issue in it. Could go lower but I haven't tested that.
    At 25 oz and low volume even in full length, good to at least low 20s and maybe lower. All set for the ground. Much less worry ( zero worries? ) about keeping rain/spray/fog from hitting your hammock bottom, and fewer issues with wind I suspect. Sounds better by the minute!

But I can see some possible pros and cons. You mention liking the way the hammock conforms around you. I often, while sleeping on my side, lean my back into the sides of the BMBH. When I use my JRB MWUQs, my back is well insulated. This position probably would not be as well covered with a pad. Also, I have recently been claiming I suspected it might be easier to avoid drafts using a TQ in the BMBH. The shape and that infamous narrowness in the shoulders actually seems to be of help with keeping the TQ tucked. Gaining more shoulder room due to the pad might interfere with this benefit. Or not!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-29-2012 at 23:08.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!
    I just spent a week using my BMBHing a bicycle tour of the Hudson Valley (Albany NY to NYC). I found suitable sites to hang the hammock for all but one night. The Therm-a-rest NEOAIR makes a big difference in flattening the sleeping surface but does have drawbacks. The NEOAIR is just too warm for hot summer nights! Also, stability decreases when you pump-up the neo-air. Very manageable but you have to really be aware of what you are doing.

I wonder if a bridge hammock could be designed specifically for use with a NEOAIR (or similar pad)? If so, it would need to be deeper and the sidewalls would need some sort of wind block/insulation.

Tree straps turned out to be my biggest problem (stretch). JRB's Tri-glides work well but are not as easy to use as I Like. At least J RB's straps don't stretch and so wound up being my go-to straps for this outing.

Whoopee slings are one modification I made to the BMBH and they really improved ease of use. Highly recommend this solution.

I used a Chinook 12 x 9.6 tarp and it worked perfect for the BMBH and was within my budget. The seams on the tarp come presealed with some sort of tape. I was lucky, it did not rain on the ride so I did not really experience the full use of the tarp.

One item that worked out well was a diver's changing mat. Divers use it on the beach when they are changing into/out of their scuba gear. It is woven plastic, keeps the dirt down and feet clean.

Overall, I am very happy with the BMBH and NEOAIR combination. Can't wait until it gets colder to see how well the combination works.

I have attached some photos of the hammock in use. You can also see in the photos my bike (a recumbent tricycle) and other gear including tarp and diver's mat.

VATriker (Stu)
    Woodbridge, VA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Man that thing looks awesome!

Chewbacca .. would you know .. or possibly speculate ...if you used the jrb Medium speed sleeves [•When Filled: 6 inches diameter, 13 inches long]
    would the BMBH Deluxe with the Neo-air mattress fit inside the sleeve .. as it does the supplied suff sack .. thanks Glenn in Phx.
    Last edited by gpshay; 08-16-2012 at 23:18. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by gpshay View Post
    Chewbacca .. would you know .. or possibly speculate ...if you used the jrb Medium speed sleeves [•When Filled: 6 inches diameter, 13 inches long]
    would the BMBH Deluxe with the Neo-air mattress fit inside the sleeve .. as it does the supplied suff sack .. thanks Glenn in Phx.
    Hey Glen,
    No I do not think it would. The BMBH Bag is about 12" x18" (when empty and laid out flat) and it just fits the sack with leaving the 25" wide neo air all season in the pocket. Take a measurement of your speed sleeve laid flat and see how it compares in size.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I slept in my Bridge w/ my Large Neo Air last night and didn't care for it.

I don't like the Neo fully inflated so using it partially inflated allowed the pad to form a "V" length-wise. Just wasn't as comfy as the other way but not horrible, by any means.

On the plus side I had no shoulder squeeze!

Oh, there was one more thing about it - if it is cold out I'll definitely feel it when I touch the sides, vs my UQ which is warm as can be when I toss n turn.

I sure do like that hammock, though.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    I slept in my Bridge w/ my Large Neo Air last night and didn't care for it.

I don't like the Neo fully inflated so using it partially inflated allowed the pad to form a "V" length-wise. Just wasn't as comfy as the other way but not horrible, by any means.

On the plus side I had no shoulder squeeze!

Oh, there was one more thing about it - if it is cold out I'll definitely feel it when I touch the sides, vs my UQ which is warm as can be when I toss n turn.

I sure do like that hammock, though.
    I use a BMBH Deluxe and also had the same "V" issue when my NeoAir pad was under inflated. Course, when it was over inflated the whole rig seemed a bit 'tippy'. It wasn't tippy, but seemed so...

Fortunately i have managed to find that "Goldilocks" inflation measure a few times too - and that provides a great night's sleep for me. No shoulder squeeze, no 'tippyness' -- Just Right! Next I have to figure how many breaths that takes for me.

As for the cold-sides issue ( probably exists in any hammock) well my TQ is wide and wraps me to avoid that - but I know what you speak of! Someday I'm going to use both the NeoAir AND a UQ -- ahhhh
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    I have typically filled the neoair all the way up and then just reach around while laying in it and just let a little air out to find that perfect inflation. I think I keep enough air to avoid the V effect. I have a fairly small shoulder girth so touching the sides has not been much of an issue. I am now getting an underquilt to handle the colder season here in Minnesota. I found at least for me, the All season started to bottom out just bellow freezing. The nice thing about the BMBH is that is comfortable both ways with or without a pad, and of course with a underquilt. The Jacks also make some great underquilts that fit like a glove to this hammock. Nice to have all the options.

Chewy

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Regular size Neo Air

Have any of you tried this with the regular size 20" x 72" Neo Air? I wonder if that would allow you to lay a little lower in the hammock, but still reduce shoulder squeeze?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast