Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    Nice! It cool to see yet another Kentucky hanger. Where were you guys camping at?
    We've been to Red River Gorge a few times, and to Camp McKee several times in the last few months. Do you have any suggestions?

Hammock
    GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    I have a hiking partner who is in the scouts he was saying that they now have to sleep in pairs or buddy system. Maybe I was misunderstanding him I don't know. Is there a rule for that now? (I know alot has changed in Scouts since my time) If so how do hammocks fit?
    I have just looked through the Guide to Safe Scouting and did not find any rules on sleeping and the buddy system. For campouts and activities, the buddy system (where each Scout has a buddy they stick with) should be used. I use the buddy system at night by sleeping two boys to a tent as well. But I don't see anything wrong with putting two hammocks near to each other, each under its own individual tarp, and still calling that the buddy system. But two hammocks can fit under some tarps, right? Maybe that would be a good way to cover all bets--have large tarps.

There ARE rules that state that an adult cannot sleep in the tent of a boy that is not his or her son.

Hammock
    Kalisto
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    In our troop we have thought about using hammock for the older boys with @least therank of Star. Kind of make it a reward for the older boys.

Hammock
    "Binford 3600" DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon 10x10
    Insulation
    CCF & Mylar pad
    Quote Originally Posted by digrat View Post
    I have just looked through the Guide to Safe Scouting and did not find any rules on sleeping and the buddy system. For campouts and activities, the buddy system (where each Scout has a buddy they stick with) should be used. I use the buddy system at night by sleeping two boys to a tent as well. But I don't see anything wrong with putting two hammocks near to each other, each under its own individual tarp, and still calling that the buddy system. But two hammocks can fit under some tarps, right? Maybe that would be a good way to cover all bets--have large tarps.

There ARE rules that state that an adult cannot sleep in the tent of a boy that is not his or her son.
    The "Buddy System" is for activities, not sleeping. It's all about keeping the boys safe--if one is injured, the other can help. The activities generally include two adult leaders (following BSA's "two-deep leadership" rules) who are along for the campout, but when the boys go to gather firewood, go on a short hike, go swimming, etc., that's when the "Buddy System" comes into play.

As for sleeping, as digrat mentions, the rules are very strict about adults (or Scouts 18 or over, such as Venture Scouts) in a tent with a Scout--the adult must be the parent or legal guardian of the Scout in order to share a tent, be alone in a vehicle together, or any other situation where they have privacy. Two Scouts may share a tent, no problem. In fact, three in our Troop often share a tent so one can carry the tent, another the poles and the third the rainfly.

The BSA doesn't address hammock camping situations such as hanging two hammocks under the same tarp, but I would say the adult should NOT be in a hammock like that unless the Scout is their son or the legal guardian relationship exists, even though a tarp isn't exactly private. You just don't need the trouble that might invite. The rules do as much to protect innocent adults as it does the boys.
    -- Tim Taylor

Hammock
    GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    The BSA doesn't address hammock camping situations such as hanging two hammocks under the same tarp, but I would say the adult should NOT be in a hammock like that unless the Scout is their son or the legal guardian relationship exists, even though a tarp isn't exactly private. You just don't need the trouble that might invite. The rules do as much to protect innocent adults as it does the boys.
    Well said. I agree completely.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12