Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Oh OK, I thought that stuff WAS Amsteel.
    I bought some Amsteel from Anapolis Performance Sailing, but I thought it was rather slippery - Garda Hitch won't hold on it, although the bowline holds fine. The Garda works fine on the Spyderline, so I still like it the best I guess, but I like the higher strength to weight of Amsteel so my ears perk up when I hear braided spectra with no sheath that isn't slick!

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Sorry for the misconception I originally thought it was amsteel because of the way it was posted but apparently after reading the description it's Dyneema with a samthane coating. If I'm not mistaken dyneema and spectra are the same thing.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    Oh OK, I thought that stuff WAS Amsteel.
    I bought some Amsteel from Anapolis Performance Sailing, but I thought it was rather slippery - Garda Hitch won't hold on it, although the bowline holds fine. The Garda works fine on the Spyderline, so I still like it the best I guess, but I like the higher strength to weight of Amsteel so my ears perk up when I hear braided spectra with no sheath that isn't slick!
    In the eBay title listing, it does say Amsteel, but it doesn't quite feel like the Amsteel I've handled in the past. It is slightly more pliable. While it does have some smoothness, as any coated line does, I've had no trouble getting it to hold knots so far (bowline, blake hitch, taut-line, etc). I only received it in the mail today, though.

FWIW, I've personally never been able to get a Garda hitch to hold with any cord less than 3/8" in diameter, including the cord mentioned. YMMV
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    If I'm not mistaken dyneema and spectra are the same thing.
    That's correct. Spectra is a trade name for Dyneema. It is also known as TiVAR and Polystone-M, according to the Wikipedia entry for ultra high molecular weight polyethylene.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    My Amsteel 1/8" (3mm) came in today. 1800lb. breaking strength. Good price.
    http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new...?id=AMRAMSTL18
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That ebay price is pretty good when compared to the price at APS

Look down at the bottom - last listing - "HPS Twine - Samson" - same maker, same coating.

APS lists the price of a 600' spool of 2.2 mm at $141.82

The spool sure likes the same stuff. APS lists the rating on the 2.2 mm as 580 lbs. The ebay listed rating for the 3 mm stuff is 1200 lbs. Don't know if the ebay rating is reasonable or not.

To quote APS:

HPS Twine (aka "Lash-It") is made from 100% Dyneema® fiber. This twine yields the highest strength, lightest weight, lowest stretch and longest wear life available. A proprietary urethane coating Samthane adds to the twine’s wear life, ensures the knot-holding capability of the twine, and gives the twine its distinctive gray color for Lash-It. Sold as a 600' spool in a convenient package
    Funny, I've never thought of dyneema as "twine".

I'll bet that 600' spool of 1.75 mm would make good guy line cord. Sounds kind of high priced until I figured that 50' comes to $10.29. That's cheaper than the BPL dyneema guy line cord.

The ebay price of $45.00 looks like taking candy from a baby.

I wonder if the guy selling the 3 mm could also sell the 1.75 mm cord? If he could sell that for a comparable price that would make the best and cheapest guy line cord I have seen that could also be used for bear bags.

19 listed as still available on ebay. AngrySparrow says he likes the stuff. I would think it should be worth the $45.00 and pobably more.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    AngrySparrow says he likes the stuff.
    He said he likes it for general purpose use. The stuff he got wasn't the AMSTEEL the auction claimed it to be. It makes it very hard to trust any ratings the guy is pimping.

- JT

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    ...the ebay listed rating for the 3 mm stuff is 1200 lbs. Don't know if the ebay rating is reasonable or not...

..that's cheaper than the BPL dyneema guy line cord...

..I wonder if the guy selling the 3 mm could also sell the 1.75 mm cord? AngrySparrow says he likes the stuff. I would think it should be worth the $45.00 and pobably more...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    He said he likes it for general purpose use.
    I do like the stuff, but yes I bought it for 'general purpose' use.

I've handled Amsteel once before, and the stuff from the auction 'feels' more pliable than I recall Amsteel being... since it came with no specs or branding info, I can only go by my observations.

Either way, it is quality cording that I feel is worth the money for the given length.

The seller has an eBay store with many other products. He may be able to provide more info if someone contacted him.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

arrived

After AngrySparrow reported on his experience with this ebay samthane coated dyneema, I figured that for $45.00/600', I'd give it a try also.

Well it arrived today. I ordered on the afternoon of the 22cd. 2 day service/delivery. He is prompt.

I'm impressed.

I have the BackPackingLight AirCore Plus dyneema cord. $40.00 for 50'.

This ebay stuff is indistinguishable from the AirCore stuff.

I have done some limited testing with knots, bowline, figure 8, Prussik using dacron guyline cord for the Prussik, Icicle hitch, Blake's hitch, sheet bend, double sheet bend, adjustable hitch, lineman hitch. They all held very well. I liked the performance better than the BPL AirCore Plus. This stuff is about the same stiffness as the AirCore Plus, i.e., not very stiff at all.

I'm inclined to believe the ebay rating on breaking strength plus or minus 100 lbs. I'd say it's in that range. BPL rates their AirCore Plus at 1109 lbs. I can easily believe this stuff is about the same.

I'm still intrigued by the APS 1.75 mm "twine". I go through 50' lengths of guyline cord too fast. I have so far purchased 3 or 4 of the BPL 50' lengths of their guy line cord. I like the way it handles and I bet the APS "twine" would be very similar after handling this stuff. 50' of the BPL guyline cord is $25.00. The APS stuff on a 600' roll would run less than half that, $10.00 and change. I like the dacron guyline cord also, but have found that knots "set" in the stuff. Tie a sheet bend and leave it for 24 hours or so, then untie it and the dacron cord retains the sheet bend shape. Makes it very difficult to tie another knot, I'm always fighting the cord trying to get the shape of the previous knot out of the cord. Don't have that problem with the dyneema stuff I've used.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I figured that for $45.00/600', I'd give it a try also.
    I agree with your assessment, but I think you'll find it is a 290 foot spool, not 600'. I haven't measured it, but it is advertised as 290', and that seems about right when eyeballing it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast