Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Shenandoah in July

I would like to do a section of the AT in the Shenandoah national park for about 4 nights or a loop hike in that park with some great views perhaps the Swift Run area?
    Link here
    I am an experianced hiker, but I have never been in the Shenandoah NP.
    I am aware of the need for permits, but I have never hiked in Va.
    The kicker is that because of other Planned hiking trips and a family wedding I have two choices and they are both in July. The choices are--- leaving Pennsylvania Starting July 6th and driving down to virgina to start a 4-5 nighter
    OR;
    Leaving Pa on July 22nd to start a 4-5 nighter in Va.
    Anyone hiking around that area in July?
    I am open for all options or suggestions
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    beautiful area. Hiked that area before. Very busy in the summer time. Plan on lots of other people to be on the trails.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    HOT that time of year! Snakes like the area too.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Snakes mean less mice to mess with your food sack.

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Snakes mean less mice to mess with your food sack.
    And ultimately less tick populations, and less ticks with lymes as it is my understanding lymes begins to develop when ticks bite mice.

Shenandoah is a beautiful place. It can be packed and you may see many other people. I hiked the summit of Old Rag and did the White Oak Canyon the next day. So beautiful. If you haven't seen it yet you should definitely go.

Actually saw a little kid fall off from the top of the falls where one should not be. He fell at least 50 feet and landed in the area where I was just swimming. There was a dead hush amongst all of us when all of a sudden the kid jumped out of the water and ran back up the trail. I couldn't believe he was alive! This story is going in the scariest moments thread!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    The PATC sells (very cheap) trail guides specifically for different types of hikes in SNP, so a guidebook on Circuit Hikes is a book they sell for $9.00 for example. Go here and check out what they have to offer.

http://www.patc.net/PublicView/Shop_....aspx?catid=14

If you're looking for a little solitude, I'd recommend doing some hikes off the AT since it will be right during thru-hiker season if you go early in July.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    The PATC sells (very cheap) trail guides specifically for different types of hikes in SNP, so a guidebook on Circuit Hikes is a book they sell for $9.00 for example. Go here and check out what they have to offer.

http://www.patc.net/PublicView/Shop_....aspx?catid=14

If you're looking for a little solitude, I'd recommend doing some hikes off the AT since it will be right during thru-hiker season if you go early in July.
    I am planning on hiking somewhere for sure around the Shenandoah NP in July. Just need to find a good loop hike based on experience from other hikers and people familiar with that part of Virginia.
    Your feedback Michele is very helpful!!

John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I hiked the Rose River Loop Trail Nov 2011 and had a blast. Beautiful trail. Awesome views. Proposed to my wife while sitting atop Rose River Falls. It also backs up to Big Meadows campground so if you want to camp and hike you can. Or you can get a permit to allow you to camp out on the trail. I camped out over top of Rose River Falls. Gets bitter cold in that section at night. All the cold winds kindof funnel though there at night. You can visit to water falls using this loop. Its about 4 miles with alot of elevation change. Here is a Link to the PDF.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    Me and my wife and pooch hiked Park last summer. Imo The southern 2 sections arebest. There were not that many people at the shelters. I guess the heat, Land hurricane, And forest fires may have kept people off the trail. Through hikers We're mostly through. It was hot. 1 day 'n the 90s. Lots of wildlife. I only saw 1 small black snake at that time of year. I found it to be a great place to hike

Man I would love to join you on this hike but alas I cannot get the time off work, I have some very fond and great memories of my hike of the AT through SNP. Especially the views which seemed bleak at times, but there are some absolutely fantastic views along the way.

Good luck on your hike.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast