Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Any interest in a SW Virginia hang?

I live in central NC, but keep a boat at Smith Mountain Lake (SML) in the South-West of Virginia, between Roanoke and Lynchburg. Over the summer, we spend most every weekend at the lake.
    Anyone in the area interested on organizing a hang at SML?

Admittedly, I don't know too much about the camping areas at SML. I don't even know if the state park allows hanging. However, I do know that the forest at the base of Smith Mountain is accessible by water and folks are allowed to camp there. Might be fun to either find a way to hike in or paddle in to a cove or island and turn it into a hammock haven for the weekend.

Probably looking at May or June, but I don't have a particular weekend in mind.
    Really just probing for interest.
    Jeff
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Paddle to a cove sounds like good fun....just pick my off week..you doing this in Summer? That is a beautiful lake...seems like lots of power boats on the weekends though.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    When? I'm pretty flexible. Since it is warming up, I'll be up there most weekends until fall, starting in a week or three. Pretty sure I'll be there the weekend of 22-24. Was hoping to head East for a paddle/hang near Edenton on the weekend of April 15-17, but just realized that is the first weekend of my kid's spring break, and I think we are already committed to being at SML that whole time. So, I'm likely to be there from April 15 or 16 through the 23rd or 24th.

I paddle there nearly every weekend of the summer. Avoiding powerboats is easy if you stay near shore. I do try to boogie if I'm crossing open water to limit the time that I'm in the powerboat traffic, but a little care goes a long way in avoiding unplanned meetings with powerboats.

There are some really cool coves on either side of the dam... just have to figure out where folks can launch from within a reasonable paddle distance. I keep my kayaks on my boat, so I don't ever have to figure out where to launch from.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

I'm definitely interested if it's June. June may be a heavy month but as of now it's open so if ya'll do it then, then I'll try to make it. Did Lake Moomaw last year and it was an awesome time, whole area down there is nice, especially coming from Ohio and all our farm land.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I'm definitely interested if it's June. June may be a heavy month but as of now it's open so if ya'll do it then, then I'll try to make it. Did Lake Moomaw last year and it was an awesome time, whole area down there is nice, especially coming from Ohio and all our farm land.
    Sure, Slo. Glad to have you join in. Even if we go in April or May, I'm likely to be up for doing it again in June.
    Well...
    As long as you leave the !@#$! RedWings jersey at home.

Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Sure, Slo. Glad to have you join in. Even if we go in April or May, I'm likely to be up for doing it again in June.
    Well...
    As long as you leave the !@#$! RedWings jersey at home.
    blasphemer!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    blasphemer!

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    SML is practically in my back yard! I've got a ton of stuff planned this summer, some of it I've said yes to, and have forgotten when it is. So I'll just say I'm a solid maybe.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

I grew up there, but I bet I wouldnt know the place now. Back then you could buy an acre lot on the water for 25K.

I bet its 500K now...wish I had bought one or two

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    I grew up there, but I bet I wouldnt know the place now. Back then you could buy an acre lot on the water for 25K.

I bet its 500K now...wish I had bought one or two
    Yes
    Even in a recession the prices are crazy

• + New Posts