Dirty Bridge / Weasel / Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    Alot
    Insulation
    HG Gear / DIY
    Suspension
    A lot of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Never, EVER believe a section hiker about anything! There is NOT water right around the corner, town is NOT just over the next hill, and it most certainly is NOT all downhill from here.

Otherwise, just walk. That's all you have to do.
    Wise wise words
    Geektar
    Fulltimers Group

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    very nice video,do you have the specs on how much fuel you use to get your boil of two cups?i thought about the trail angel ride,sounds like what ill do,or a shuttle.
    1/2 ounce of fuel will bring 2 cups to 180 degrees to kill germs, 1 ounce will bring 2 cups to a rolling boil for about 2+ minutes.
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I'll offer a bit of advice, although I haven't thru hiked before so take it worth the price you paid for it.

If you haven't already, toughen up your feet. No need to have them tough as cow hide but if they are able to withstand the daily pounding your going to be putting them through before you start it will make your journey more pleasant.
    got that covered ,im one of those barefoot freaks.if i have shoes on you know im at work,the rest of the time its natural feet for me.in fact in the summer i can scrub for a long time with a potato brush ,but will not get rid of the dark stain until cold weather.a person would think that this would make your shoes have no effect on your feet,but just the opposite happens for me,my feet do not like to conform to restriction.i have no point of reference would the trail be too rocky for the barefoot trek.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    i have no point of reference would the trail be too rocky for the barefoot trek.
    Google "barefoot sisters". But note how long it took them to complete their hike. And also note that they didn't hike the whole thing barefoot.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    this made me laugh. I dunno why.
    But I'm 52.
    There was never a shortage of people to talk to...especially on the Long Trail.

I was invisible to several....
    but I was cheered by many
    if i can make you laugh half as much as youve made me smile with your trail journal,id feel like i made it even with you.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    Google "barefoot sisters". But note how long it took them to complete their hike. And also note that they didn't hike the whole thing barefoot.
    i wont try to do anything brutal to my feet on trail,but i wll enjoy my contact with the ground when i can.the ozarks here are rocky enough that shoes are required quite often.i only carry 1 pair of foot wear,going barefoot at camp to let my feet air /dry,and giving the socks time to defunkulate.(should be a real word for hiker feet.)one side note though,i would recomend walking barefoot to strengthen stabalizing muscles in your feet,build muscle,increases balance,increases blood flow for healing tired aching muscles.start slow first inside, then the yard.you dont have to walk through the woods barefoot to gain from it.you can still hike in your shoes only with amazing ankle strength.
    Last edited by hairbear; 12-16-2012 at 10:26.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    i wont try to do anything brutal to my feet on trail,but i wll enjoy my contact with the ground when i can.the ozarks here are rocky enough that shoes are required quite often.i only carry 1 pair of foot wear,going barefoot at camp to let my feet air /dry,and giving the socks time to defunkulate.(should be a real word for hiker feet.)one side note though,i would recomend walking barefoot to strengthen stabalizing muscles in your feet,build muscle,increases balance,increases blood flow for healing tired aching muscles.start slow first inside, then the yard.you dont have to walk through the woods barefoot to gain from it.you can still hike in your shoes only with amazing ankle strength.
    The Letcher Sisters ( Barefoot sisters) hiked almost the whole trail barefoot and yo-yo'd in 2000-2001- pretty good books by the way... go for it

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    i am also kind of a clean freak .what methods of keeping your gear and self clean over the long haul?i know i will stink,ive gotten used to that hiking, but cutting down on the wear your gear for 30 minutes ,and you smell like a month ago syndrome is what im looking for.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    i am also kind of a clean freak .what methods of keeping your gear and self clean over the long haul?i know i will stink,ive gotten used to that hiking, but cutting down on the wear your gear for 30 minutes ,and you smell like a month ago syndrome is what im looking for.
    hygiene can be the first causalty of long distance hiking, especially on the AT were it is worn as a badge of honor... I don't think you will have much trouble with gear, as most packs and other gear will last much longer than we give it credit for. if you damage or step on your alcohol stove you can just make another one, but you should have a plan of what to wear when you do get to do laundry- usually your rain gear or sleeping cloths and everything should be as quick dry as possible and pre-shrunk.- watch after your feet, blisters, hotspots, etc.
    Dr. Bronners unscented soap will clean just about anything and you can use it for toothpaste as well

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    i want to thank everyone for responding to all my questions....happy trails.....hairbear

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast