Page 65 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    I came across an interesting joint set up for a tripod on a DIY tripod stool website. I was thinking it would work well here instead of lashing, which could slip on slippery poles.

Basically its bolting two poles together with an Eyebolt sandwiched in between which then is bolted to the third pole. The poles are free to swivel outward

My question is: What size bolt would one recommend to handle the shear forces downward?

Also suggestions for how to attach the crossbeam suspension?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    I came across an interesting joint set up for a tripod on a DIY tripod stool website. I was thinking it would work well here instead of lashing, which could slip on slippery poles.

Basically its bolting two poles together with an Eyebolt sandwiched in between which then is bolted to the third pole. The poles are free to swivel outward

My question is: What size bolt would one recommend to handle the shear forces downward?

Also suggestions for how to attach the crossbeam suspension?
    That's interesting. I used to have a tripod stool that had an attachment kind of like that. I'd say 5/16" would be what I would try. It would have to be a substantial set of poles, like 1-1/4" hardwood I'd think.

I suppose you could just slip a loop of amsteel around the eye bolt, between the eye and the pole.

BTW, lashing holds remarkably well even on the most slippery poles.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

You might take this idea to the turtle-dog stand thread and get a bunch of input as well.
    For what its worth, I think I might try this just to see what happens, and thanks for bringing this up, new ideas are always welcome.

I have it finished now.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348521341.725747.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348521374.421431.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348521409.831536.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348521433.971242.jpg
    I used 1 1/4 x 6 foot closet rods and the chain link fence top rail.

The hardware consists of 5/16 inch carriage bolt and 1/4 inch eye bolt. The 5/15 eye bolt hole was just too big for my liking. I double nutted to lock them in.

Thing feels sturdy for my 225 pound self.

I also made a second one using 1" x5' tool handle shafts for my son (in pictures)

We plan to break 'em in this weekend at a Webeloree.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I have it finished now.

I used 1 1/4 x 6 foot closet rods and the chain link fence top rail.

The hardware consists of 5/16 inch carriage bolt and 1/4 inch eye bolt. The 5/15 eye bolt hole was just too big for my liking. I double nutted to lock them in.

Thing feels sturdy for my 225 pound self.

I also made a second one using 1" x5' tool handle shafts for my son (in pictures)
    That looks good. Nice adaptation. Tell us more please. I don't see spread limiters. It doesn't "lock" into that position does it? Also curious as to how much the poles cost. I know tool handles are pretty expensive.

And I assume it collapses into an easy to transport bunch?

I didn't put the line to limit spread. Ground is soft and there was no indication of slipping. I will add them, just was eager to test it out.

Yes it does fold up nicely, the poles lay straight together.

Cost of 1 1/4 rod - $1.50 per foot. The 5 foot handles were $5.00 each. I know these are pricier than 2x2. But I like the looks of the round poles better and less bulky.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 09-27-2012 at 15:24.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

One more thing. The line for suspending the horizontal pole is larks headed around one of the poles then drops down the center. I don't feel comfortable suspending directly from the hardware.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 09-27-2012 at 15:24.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I didn't put the ind to limit spread. Ground is soft and there was no indication of slipping. I will add them, just was eager to test it out.

Yes it does fold up nicely, the pole lay straight together.

Cost of 1 1/4 rod - $1.50 per foot. The 5 foot handles were $5.00 each. I know these are pricier than 2x2. But I like the looks of the round poles better and les bulky.
    I like it too. It looks great!

Hammock
    Tree2Tree Switchback..Pink Panther
    Tarp
    AHE Toxiway Lylac!
    Insulation
    Golite top/BF UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    My portable hammock stand is still in development mode. It is made with low tech skills and cheap materials. It is lightweight and small in mass. Here are some photos of it in use in the last few months.

It is made from locally harvested bamboo in Kentucky. The poles are 3/4 - 1" in diameter and up to 66" long. They were not "properly" cured. Two of the first ones I used split most of their length. I taped them and they continued to function until I replaced them. Now I taped the ends of all the poles pre-emptively. So far they have not split.

The tripods are made with simple lashing. A chain link fence top rail has been cut into three pieces to make the ridgeline, using one connector piece. The top rail was a dinged one, and cost just under $5.00. The connector was $1.88. The ridgeline rail hangs from the lashings with a cord loop.

A prussic knot and toggle are used to connect the hammock to the top rail, not the tripods. This makes a compressive force that holds the sections together. The tripods each hold only 1/2 my weight with a downward force.

Limiter cords are connected to the lower part of the tripod legs to limit their spread. A shock cord is taped midway down one leg of each tripod with a shower curtain ring to draw up the limiter cords under tension when the legs are gathered closed for bundling, to prevent tangling. 4" squares of rubber shelf liner stuff under the legs protects smooth wood, laminate or tile floors and helps stablize them.

The bundle of six bamboo poles and top rail weighs 15 pounds and is 5" in diameter.

I am 5' 8" tall and weigh 185 lbs. This stand system has not dropped me yet. It is fairly low to the ground. I lower my self gently into it, gingerly testing the system each time. It feels amazingly stable once it is weighted.

I welcome your questions and suggestions for evolution.

The photos show the stand in actual situations where I have set up for overnight stays without moving any furniture ( other than a floor lamp once so that I could read without using my headlamp.) The tripod legs fit in among and over stuff amazingly well.

BTW -- the photos show Mac's IX 5-in-1 Jerry chair underquilt with cordura shell. This bundles the hammock, topquilt and stand together nicely. The hammock shown is a Trek Light with a 9'2" rail for indoor use . I use a slightly longer ridgeline rail when I use my Switchback for an outdoor camp, by changing out the shorter section of rail.
    Very nice!

T
    LIVE.. LOVE.. LAUGH... AND DRIVE BF CRAZY!!

Love it with round poles

• + New Posts
  • Page 65 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast