Two hammocks as double layer

I'm new and this seems obvious. I must be missing something.

I have a cheap Hammock bliss hammock (and a HH). I have only slept out about 4 nights in the hammock. It is starting to get cold in Wisconsin and I've felt some chills so far.

So, I was looking into a double layer hammock or some other way to get some insulation.

Why can't I just use two hammocks?? The Hammock bliss is only about $35. I could rig one on top of the other. Taht way, I could have two hammocks to hang around camp in and one warm hammock to sleep in.

What am I missing?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think that would work fine. You could whip them together so you only have one suspension. I guess if the HH was one of the hammocks the bottom entry could cause a problem.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    I'm new and this seems obvious. I must be missing something.

I have a cheap Hammock bliss hammock (and a HH). I have only slept out about 4 nights in the hammock. It is starting to get cold in Wisconsin and I've felt some chills so far.

So, I was looking into a double layer hammock or some other way to get some insulation.

Why can't I just use two hammocks?? The Hammock bliss is only about $35. I could rig one on top of the other. Taht way, I could have two hammocks to hang around camp in and one warm hammock to sleep in.

What am I missing?
    Nothing - that's how I started. Works great as a gear hammock, too. But you really need to invest in a UQ for cold weather, or make one. It makes all the difference.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Yep you'll definetely need a pad(s) or underquilt. I cant see the two hammocks together giving much warmth.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Yep you'll definetely need a pad(s) or underquilt. I cant see the two hammocks together giving much warmth.
    Has anyone given thought to stuffing clothing between them? Not an ideal situation, by ANY means, but, on cooler nights (not freezing, where it could be a real problem) it may work. HEck, maybe even using dead leaves? Just a thought.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Has anyone given thought to stuffing clothing between them? Not an ideal situation, by ANY means, but, on cooler nights (not freezing, where it could be a real problem) it may work. HEck, maybe even using dead leaves? Just a thought.
    Yes, that has been tried with varying degrees of success (on double layered hammocks anyway). I seem to recall that most have reported that it does help, but isn't as effective as using a lightweight pad instead.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I used a traveler hammock as a 2nd layer for: 1) holding a pad, and 2) wind shield, ie. sock, for a while. For mine, I removed all the heavy hanging gear and replaced it with shock cords to make it lighter. My main hammock carried the weight and the second only had to fit snuggly and hold the pad or whatever insulation you want. (My local oufitter had a sale, and I had some points, so I got the traveler for << $20. I did try it in the yard by itself but my DIY felt better, so....)

I've tried to upgrade my over all backpacking system one item per trip. The above lasted until I made an underquilt.

2 layers of ripstop might work in Florida in the summer time, but everywhere else you definitely need something more.

I should have been more clear.

For just chilly conditions, I envisioned using just the two hammocks.

For temps down to 30 or 40, I envisioned placing a fairly large closed cell pad between the two hammocks.

Does that seem reasonable?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    I should have been more clear.

For just chilly conditions, I envisioned using just the two hammocks.

For temps down to 30 or 40, I envisioned placing a fairly large closed cell pad between the two hammocks.

Does that seem reasonable?
    That second hammock doesn't add much in the way of insulating value. If you are like most people, you'll find your bottom-side plenty cool at 55 degrees if all you have is two layers of nylon under you.

The biggest benefit to a double body is that you can trap stuff that does have insulating value, between the bodies. A honking great pad will be just fine, probably, unless you are one of those people who end up sweating on top of them. But if you don't in a tent then you're unlikely to in a hammock.

Grizz

• + New Posts