Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Weighing options
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Pads only?

Has anyone ever used just pads in these temperatures? I just got the bad news that my UQ won't be shipping until next week at the earliest (WB still haven't received their down). I have a 1/2" and 1/8" EvaRest from Lawson which seems like really good CCF, only 24" wide. Will tape together a couple pieces of reflectix to add a little more width and warmth. Have a hammock sock to help with convective heat loss.

Any thoughts on if this will be enough or if I should try to add a bit more since I am lacking any UQ? Ideas on what works well as a last minute addition?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    Has anyone ever used just pads in these temperatures? I just got the bad news that my UQ won't be shipping until next week at the earliest (WB still haven't received their down). I have a 1/2" and 1/8" EvaRest from Lawson which seems like really good CCF, only 24" wide. Will tape together a couple pieces of reflectix to add a little more width and warmth. Have a hammock sock to help with convective heat loss.

Any thoughts on if this will be enough or if I should try to add a bit more since I am lacking any UQ? Ideas on what works well as a last minute addition?

Assuming I can kick this cold by Friday I'll bring my WB Yeti (3-season) you can use. Couple that with a pad and you should be OK.
    Dave
    Where ever you go, there you are?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    6 inches of new snow at my place last night. Suns out today. Don't know if kenosha got any.
    I'm getting excited. Really looking forward to hanging and hiking in the snow.
    I've had 10" in my yard since last night and it is still coming down. I hope this storm hops the hill and gives you something to play in for the hang.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Images

I will bring a winter Yeti 3/4 UQ you can use.
    You would still need a pad for your lower legs and feet.
    hth

Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Weighing options
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Thanks to both Rhino and O&B for the offers, that takes some worry off of my mind. The 3-season yeti is what I have on order, wasn't honestly planning on doing any winter hanging until the next season. Then I saw this opportunity, couldn't pass it up, and started shifting to ordering colder weather gear in a rush instead of summer gear.

I saw that there is a winter storm warning from 5pm today through Thursday at 5pm for that area, with snow predicted to continue falling all the way to Thurs! GREAT news I think, should be plenty of snow to melt down. Another worry checked off the list, and yes I do worry too much. The alert says 6-15" of snowfall, I don't know if that is on top of what came down yesterday or including it since the alert was just (re?)-issued today.

Thanks again,
    Jory

Images
    Thanks to both Rhino and O&B for the offers, that takes some worry off of my mind. The 3-season yeti is what I have on order, wasn't honestly planning on doing any winter hanging until the next season. Then I saw this opportunity, couldn't pass it up, and started shifting to ordering colder weather gear in a rush instead of summer gear.

I saw that there is a winter storm warning from 5pm today through Thursday at 5pm for that area, with snow predicted to continue falling all the way to Thurs! GREAT news I think, should be plenty of snow to melt down. Another worry checked off the list, and yes I do worry too much. The alert says 6-15" of snowfall, I don't know if that is on top of what came down yesterday or including it since the alert was just (re?)-issued today.

Thanks again,
    Jory
    I only use overfilled 3 season quilts in winter. I'll sleep in my down coat and insulated over pants to increase their range.
    I bought the winter yeti for the wife.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    I'm still hoping my quilts arrive from stormcrow in time, if not (as OnB knows) my plans are to double ccf pads, and zliner. If that doesn't work Ill try throwing a sportsman Mylar blanket underneath while using a thermal bivvy as a TQ. Maybe throw in a poncho liner. Should be fine.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    I'm still hoping my quilts arrive from stormcrow in time, if not (as OnB knows) my plans are to double ccf pads, and zliner. If that doesn't work Ill try throwing a sportsman Mylar blanket underneath while using a thermal bivvy as a TQ. Maybe throw in a poncho liner. Should be fine.
    Do you have a tracking number, if not, I would not expect it to arrive in time.
    OES, WB, HG are all pretty slammed this time of year.

I have a summer Pheonix but don't think that would help much.
    I've never had good results combining pad with an UQ.
    In my experience the UQ has to be right up against you to work.
    The forecast is looking pretty good for Friday/Saturday night.
    I'm guessing it will be around 20F.
    Wind!?! now that's anyone's guess.

Bailey Forescast:
    Fri Feb 1
    Few Snow Showers
    42/17°
    Chance of snow:
    30%
    Wind:
    W at 10 mph

Sat Feb 2
    Sunny
    44°/22°
    Sunny
    Chance of rain:
    0%
    Wind:
    SSW at 9 mph

Sun Feb 3
    Partly Cloudy
    47°/21°
    Partly Cloudy
    Chance of rain:
    0%
    Wind:
    W at 10 mph
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-30-2013 at 10:45.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Wind!?! now that's anyone's guess.
    That can be dicey up at the pass. Wind can get crazy up there. The good news is that if you step back into the trees 100 yards, they block the wind pretty well.

Separate question - does anyone know if Brandon is attending? If he was there with the new XLCs for sale, I might have to find a way to go up, at least during the day on Saturday.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Images
    Moving this forward for easy reference.
    Warbonnetguy has not posted on the thread so I don't think he will be attending but you never know.
    As I said in the previous thread he's pretty slammed this time of year.
    I missed the fall hang do to other commitments and was bummed to not get to try his new bridge hammock.

We are two weeks away from this hang. Should we do a roll call?

Off the top of my head the following have posted they are attending.

OutandBack
    Ringtail(food)
    JustJeff
    Isheian
    TrailRyder42
    rhinoman
    fartingOWL
    RkyMtnChkwgn
    jobo

May come:
    ferret
    Boothill and sodakgrrl
    rickycodie

=================

The current plan is to gather/camp in the Kenosha East campground Friday/
    Friday night then about 12noon Sat hike up to the South Park Overlook
    and setup camp for Sat night. Sat afternoon day hike to view My Guyot.
    Sunday morning break camp and head home on your own schedule.

Please post/confirm your attendance and comment if you like this plan or
    would prefer to just camp in the campground the whole weekend and day hike to the overlook.
    I'm good either way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast