Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shortening Triangle Suspension Lines on RR?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has shortened the triangle suspension lines to reduce the overall length from apex to apex of the Ridgerunner? Just wondering how short a guy could do without compromising the stability of the hammock or the integrity of the spreader bars.

It seems the guys that are making the DIY bridge hammocks are getting away with much shorter lines and therefore shorter distances from apex to apex.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have made many DIY Grizzly Bridge hammocks and your safe to use the same length dog bone as the length of your spreader bar. I would add an inch or two to you dog bones to compensate for the hitches at each end. It might be a little less stable than it is now but not bad and a lot easer to find trees to hang from.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangMan View Post
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has shortened the triangle suspension lines to reduce the overall length from apex to apex of the Ridgerunner? Just wondering how short a guy could do without compromising the stability of the hammock or the integrity of the spreader bars...
    Acer did the testing for us here.

Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    I have made many DIY Grizzly Bridge hammocks and your safe to use the same length dog bone as the length of your spreader bar...
    Not necessarily. The depth of the hammock body has an effect. The wider the fabric is for a given length spreader bar, the more stable it is allowing shorter suspension triangles.

I believe the RR has a narrower fabric to spreader bar width ratio requiring longer triangles for stability. Or, I could be wrong.

Thanks for the link gmcttr. That is what I was looking for. No sense reinventing the wheel. I will try shortening as per Acer's tests.

As well, thanks krshome. I will start at the length of the spreader bars.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ya don't go any shorter than the spreader bar for the length of the dog bone, it will put to much pressure on the spreader bar. FYI

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I would recommend that 37.5 inches each was about the best for me. Anything shorter was way unstable laying in it at nite as I found myself sleeping sometimes at a angle when off center laying in the hammock. But,,you never know about someone else going shorter. and that was with the 4 inch extension out of the head spreader bar. I wanted to keep the head end the same size as the foot end, so both are same lengh for cenering in my cuben tarp.
    Last edited by Acer; 03-02-2013 at 13:25.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Images
    It iis a long MamaJama, ain't it? Mighty comfy, but mighty wide and long. I have posted here about my problems using my Vario stand, and until I get a turtle Lady stand or something it will remain a hassle.

So once I finally got to the woods for a day/hike test with trees, I got about a mile in to one of my favorite hang with a view spots. Two trees perfectly placed and convenient, between a pond and with a very pastoral overlook. I have hung every hammock I own from these trees at least once, including the big old Safari, both of my JRB bridges and all of the others, with no problems. But guess what? WBRR was too long! I couldn't believe it. But with a lot of fiddling around, I finally got it hung with just barely enough tension. I put the biners on the far side of, or on the side of, the trees, both trees. I still think I maybe needed a few more inches of stretch, but I felt it was pretty close, and very comfy.

However, I am for sure I have hung from a bunch of spots with trees closer together than these two. So I can no doubt rule any of those out for use with the RR. It remains to be seen how much extra hassle it will actually be to find trees acceptable in all other ways plus far enough apart. Maybe in the long run it won't amount to much.

But, this is no doubt the length it needs to be for these wide bars. As per WBG's initial design- no doubt with much research - and per Acer's attempts to shorten things, with poor results.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...It remains to be seen how much extra hassle it will actually be to find trees acceptable in all other ways plus far enough apart. Maybe in the long run it won't amount to much...
    But you gain use of all the trees that were a little too far apart for your other hammocks.

My first test report:
    Last night I reduced all the dog bones to 35". (I do use the full spreader bar at the head end.) The overall length apex to apex was 11'3", down from I believe it was 13'.
    I didn't find it unstable, it was not quite as stable but it wasn't unstable, even sitting up wasn't too bad. I slept all night and on both sides and even put my pants on in the morning.
    Keep in mind this is just my own experience. I think I will still reduce the length on the foot end and see if there are any problems.
    Either way I guess I have to learn how to make my own dog bones.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast