Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just seeing those old canvas tents makes me start sweating. Wish I had known about hammocks when my sons were in Scouts.

Hammock
    11" DangerBird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Just spent a week at Camp Lowden myself. I met a couple of leaders in a Hennessy and a Clark.
    I miss it already.

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    Any of you guys ever hang at Camp Woodruff in Ga?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Very nice. I leave in a couple of weeks for Goshen Scout Reservation. Can't wait. It'll be my first full week in a hammock, and will have my PLUQ. .........RR
    Had a couple troops at BSR that normally camp at Goshen, believe they were 1212 and 504. They came last year to BSR after the storm shutdown Goshen.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Very nice. I leave in a couple of weeks for Goshen Scout Reservation. Can't wait. It'll be my first full week in a hammock, and will have my PLUQ. .........RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    With hammocking becoming so popular in scouting, has there been any provision made at the new Jamboree facility in WV for hangers?

Jim
    I know that at the past jamboree at least one of the WV troops hung in hammocks, but they made sort of a hammock wheel made of aluminum fence posts. I have not heard if Summit is making provisions for or allowing hammocks.

Hammock
    WB BB DL XL
    Tarp
    SilNylon (rectngl)
    Insulation
    BA Insulatd Inflat
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images

Just My Opinion

Hammocking negates the benefits of the buddy system used in Scouts to some degree. I feel that younger Scouts should sleep in tents with their buddy. They learn to plan (who is bringing the tent?), they work together finding a suitable site and pitching it and for those Scouts unfamiliar with sleeping outdoors (most of them), having a tent partner makes them feel more secure.
    I am not sure that I would trust young Scouts to set up their suspension properly and would hate to have one get injured because of that.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not against Scouts hammocking. In fact, I plan to teach the Hammocking Merit Badge (I know it's not a real MB) to our Troop after I feel competent enough to do so after Gunner teaches me some things.

Just my opinion.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    Hammocking negates the benefits of the buddy system used in Scouts to some degree. I feel that younger Scouts should sleep in tents with their buddy. They learn to plan (who is bringing the tent?), they work together finding a suitable site and pitching it and for those Scouts unfamiliar with sleeping outdoors (most of them), having a tent partner makes them feel more secure.
    I am not sure that I would trust young Scouts to set up their suspension properly and would hate to have one get injured because of that.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not against Scouts hammocking. In fact, I plan to teach the Hammocking Merit Badge (I know it's not a real MB) to our Troop after I feel competent enough to do so after Gunner teaches me some things.

Just my opinion.
    Agree that younger scouts need a tent buddy - had to deal with a couple cases of homesickness this past week. Normally it is me and another leader and sometimes a couple of the older scouts that hang. The younger ones sometimes try out my hammock for short periods during the afternoon.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    I did the Hang at Hale Scout Reservation with my troop this summer. 8 inches of rain in 14 hours!!! Everything in a canvass tent was WET. After I figured out my tarp ridgeline was wicking water, I was dry. It always surprises me who is going to come down with the Home Sickness, but for he most part it is first year campers that have never been away from mom & dad. Second year campers can come down with it, especially if they excelled in their first year of camp. Had the weirdest experience with it this year in a second year kid who's dad camped with us. I think it was due to the fact that Dad wasn't doing everything for him. He finally bucked up about day three.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cbbr View Post
    Any of you guys ever hang at Camp Woodruff in Ga?
    I hung at Woodruff Scout Reservation the first weekend of February (Button Gwinett District Klondike). 20 degress Friday night and 2" of snow on Saturday. w00t!! It was awesome, and I got to benchmark my gear.

We did summer camp at Skymont this year, and I hung in my WBBB all week. Had a couple scouts in hammocks as well.

- Chad (Troop 648, Norcross, GA)

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    How is the middle of the hammock wheel supported? This would work great for us in the fall. We have an event that is held out in an open field.
    I got inspiration from a troop in Texas that happened to be in a tree free environment. The center is three posts lashed together to (somewhat) form a triangle. The posts are sunk about 30" down and backfill packed tightly. An extension for a military parachute was added and for the nervous Nellie in all of us, the center posts were then ratchet strapped to three trees. The posts on the perimeter were staked down and it's good to have them at an outward angle so when they are loaded with a camper they don't go past 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by wacamaca View Post
    Awesome hammock wheel! If you don't mind, sharing some info. There is a Scout who has the go ahead to establish the first designated hammock sight at Camp Raven Knob. Need help with the spacing of the spars. Could the spacing you used accommodate individual rain fly for each hammock?

Thanks!
    The spacing is perfect for individual tarps, however the side tie outs will need to be dealt with. The boys chose the military tarp simply because it provided cover for all. Had we ran into rain though, the individual tarps would have been brought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post

Just my opinion.
    Perhaps a hammock wheel would be a solution to the buddy system issue. A bunch of buddies together yet in individual sleep systems. I agree though the ones setting up their hammocks would need some instruction, but the risk would be comprable to those in a tent in terms of it's not set up right, things will go wrong (wet gear, hard to sleep on a bumpy surface or slope, etc.) and a lesson learned. Guiding a bunch of scouts through the Hammock Camping merit badge has been a great experience for me and the boys love that feeling of being different.

Have fun one and all and please forgive me if my post in any way derailed the OP, that was not my intention at all.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast